Old 20th October 2009, 08:21 PM

Default CPU emulation core?

I'm just wondering, how is the cpu emulation core coded in PJ64? Is it dynamic recompilation? Interpretation? And what is it written in? Have you guys considered undertaking the arduous task of writing the cpu core in x86 assembly?
Old 21st October 2009, 11:10 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AerosolSP View Post
Have you guys considered undertaking the arduous task of writing the cpu core in x86 assembly?
Hah it looks not. Fascination like this, is one of the things that intrigue me to revolutionize. Most people don't seem to care though.

While we're living with what we have, no apparently these people aren't interested either. At some point it looks like it was re-written from C to C++...most N64 emulators have an option to switch from re-compiler to interpreter.

The second should be the default though, not the first. Why would they want the re-compiler to be used by default for games not recognized in the RDB? Learning about new games, entries and discoveries is an investigative task, rather than a hasty one calling for common speed optimizations.
It's not like such an emulator should be written in such a way that forces people to use dyna-rec anyway.
Old 21st October 2009, 07:41 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

modern compilers are so effective that the reasoning to recode in ASM is neglible.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 21st October 2009, 09:50 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Or you mean an effect of doing so.
Negligibility is a measure of end effectiveness. The dedication to write a strong emulator, under re-writing in asm, isn't the kind of "reasoning" that is negligible.

The effect may be, depending on how much you care for whatever possible improvements. If you only care for some improvements and not others, well that's just bigoted inconsistency, and you don't deserve people who care permanently about your work more than others'. Thus the "reasoning", is quite the reverse of negligible.
Old 22nd October 2009, 07:46 PM

From what I've read, no matter how effective the compiler is, the higher level the code, the more overhead is produced in the executable binary (or something like that). I was under the impression that it is always better to write the cpu emulation in assembly, as that enables more-or-less direct one-to-one emulation. Something like "This MIPS instruction is the same as this x86 instruction. When this x86 cpu encounters this MIPS opcode (or whatever), peform this instead." I just understand that writing an entire cpu emulation core in assembly is hard as balls.
And is there such a thing as a dynamically recompiling cpu emulation core written in assembly? Something tells me that that is redundant...but I could be wrong.
Old 25th October 2009, 12:27 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

The problem with low level coding is its incredibly arduous and take a lot of skill. Not only would it be a epic task to code but also if your doing this for optimisation you would have to recode it for every CPU you wish to run it on. Its not as if you could just code it legacy X86 as it simply would not work. You also get the added problem that its all to easy to be far from optimal when coding in assembly. Its all a bit of a mute point really as even the most basic PC these days does not struggle to to emulate the R4300i CPU with the current system. At 100mhz the R4300i only gets 125 Dhrystone MIPS, 60 SPECint92, 45 SPECfp92 and the N64 clocks it even slower at 93.75 MHz.
Old 25th October 2009, 06:27 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

any fun in the challenge or would I have to have some kind of OCD to put up with myself?
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
The problem with low level coding is its incredibly arduous and take a lot of skill. Not only would it be a epic task to code but also if your doing this for optimisation you would have to recode it for every CPU you wish to run it on. Its not as if you could just code it legacy X86 as it simply would not work. You also get the added problem that its all to easy to be far from optimal when coding in assembly. Its all a bit of a mute point really as even the most basic PC these days does not struggle to to emulate the R4300i CPU with the current system. At 100mhz the R4300i only gets 125 Dhrystone MIPS, 60 SPECint92, 45 SPECfp92 and the N64 clocks it even slower at 93.75 MHz.
I'd just like to make a point.

Since the PJ64 developers like to keep their project dead all the time, for one platform only, how would rewriting it in asm for 32-bit Win32 with SSE be a problem?