Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 23rd December 2009, 12:37 AM

Default Sumoto N64 controller SOLUTION HERE!

Like some of you, I purchased the Sumoto N64/PS2 adapter, only to find that my N64 controller appears to 'freak out' showing multiple button presses and Axis controls that are all over the place.

I've read that you just have to try N64 controllers until you find one that works. Well, I'm not made of money; however, I am an electronics engineer.

Here's what is happening:

The Sumoto IS providing the correct voltage (3.3 volts) to the power connection on the N64 controller. However, it is providing [roughly] 5 volts on the data line. This causes the chip in the N64 controller to oscillate and is why everything appears to jump all over.

I was able to modify mine to work with my old grey N64 controller. The solution is actually very simple. The way to fix the oscillation problem, is by using a voltage divider on the 'data' line from the Sumoto to the N64 controller.

You will need two resistors (1.5K OR 1.8K and 470 ohms) and a soldering iron. Here's the schematic for the modification:

1 ) Remove the four screws holding the unit together. Unsolder the CENTER wire (the data connection) that goes to the N64 controller connector.
I didn't have a 1.5K or 1.8K resistor; so I paralleled a 10K with a 2.2K resistor -- which is why there are 3 resistors in my pictures. Connect them like the following picture shows:

2) Now we are ready to connect the resistors to the Sumoto adapter. They are connected as shown in the following picture. The data wire connects to where the resistors meet, at the side AWAY from the adapter (I used a small piece of shrink tubing on the data connection, but it isn't really needed):

3) Once the data wire is connected to the resistors and the resistors are connected to the PCB; CAREFULLY bend the resistors around to the back side of the board. There is nothing to short them out on, so no need to worry. Carefully place the N64 connector back in place and we are almost done:

4) Put the case back together. Connect the N64 controller to the Sumoto adapter, then to the PC. Your controller (hopefully) now works perfectly. If not, try lowering or raising the value of Rx SLIGHTLY.
One thing I should note, is that Windows sees this as a 16 button controller, although it only has 14 buttons. Therefore, when you press the 'A' and 'B' buttons two others will light up. This is normal and won't affect playing games with PJ64.

This modification should allow ANY N64 controller to work with the Sumoto adapter, but you might need to play with the value for Rx (DO NOT GO BELOW 500 OHMS!!).

Enjoy!
Old 23rd December 2009, 06:59 PM

Default Sumoto N64 *UPDATE*

*UPDATE*

Just to test the limits, I removed the 10K resistor from my modification. This makes Rx = 2.2K ohms and the unit is perfectly stable. As you can see, my test setup was pretty sloppy, so I wasn't sure that going above 1.8K ohms would be completely stable:

As you can see, the Sumoto N64/PS2 adapter is completely stable after the change (with my old grey N64 controller):