Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 3rd January 2009, 03:58 PM

Default Phillips recoil controller

I see a Philips GPS2RCP Recoil Control Pad for Playstation 2 for sale on ebay now - do you think it would work like the GGE909PC one for Project 64?
Old 4th January 2009, 04:09 AM

The phillips controllers are ok. I own one and its not bad. My favorite are the Logitech series. The Dual Action or cordless rumble pad by far. They are high quality, very durable and the wireless rumble pad is really easy on batteries. And most importantly, the analog precision is great.
2GB OCZ 1144 DDR2
Asus P5E VM-HDMI G35
nVidia 9800 GX2 756Core/2250Mem
150GB Raptor
Old 4th January 2009, 12:57 PM

i prefer the logitech controlers
Windows XP home edtion (service pack 3)
Ubuntu Ultimate Edition 2.1 x86
CPU:
Intel® Pentium® 4 2.60 GHz (32 bit)
Video Card:
Nvidea GeForce FX 5200
Sound Card:
SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio
Memory:
1.50GB RAM
Old 7th January 2009, 05:07 AM

Nintendo Gamecube controller with a Wasaki adapter is pretty win.

Although I would prefer an N64 controller, the adapters for those are hard to come across and I happen to have this GC->USB adapter. It's a decent replacement for a true N64 controller.
Old 7th January 2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maraakate View Post
The adaptoid's haven't been shipped out apparently. Just read the customer reviews on ztnet. Everyone is pissed off. Good thing I held off on ordering it months back.

I still have yet to see an original one anywhere. I would love to try the microphone on Hey You Pikachu. I bought the game in the box for this purpose. I'm still amazed nobody has tried it yet.
That's sad, it would really be an awesome product. I looked it up on eBay and only found one and of course it's going into the $100 range. There is some other product on there claiming to be an adapter for a PS2 and N64 -» USB converter. However I'm unable to find the slot for the N64 controller on the device. Anyone know of any reputable and working adapter that will allow me to use my N64 controller on my PC?

I've always used the PS2 with an adapter and began using the PS3 one since it already came with a USB cable and it's always charging on the PC anyways. Unfortunately I have to have different configurations for different games, and it gets annoying having to switch controller profile per game, because the PS controllers are inadequate.
Old 7th January 2009, 11:40 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoprototype View Post
There is some other product on there claiming to be an adapter for a PS2 and N64 -» USB converter. However I'm unable to find the slot for the N64 controller on the device. Anyone know of any reputable and working adapter that will allow me to use my N64 controller on my PC?
If it's the one I have (transparent blue), it works fine with PSX/2 and N64 controllers. I bought 5 of them, sold a few to some friends, and we've never had any problems. Though I do what to get my hands on an Adaptoid.

I usually use the PS2 control for NES/SNES emulation which comes in handy.
Old 8th January 2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooZ View Post
If it's the one I have (transparent blue), it works fine with PSX/2 and N64 controllers. I bought 5 of them, sold a few to some friends, and we've never had any problems. Though I do what to get my hands on an Adaptoid.

I usually use the PS2 control for NES/SNES emulation which comes in handy.
Thanks for the information, I'm going to try it out. For some reason the PS3 controller is acting up all of a sudden... Back to the PS2 one I guess.
I only use it because of the analog sticks on it, but I admit I feel dirty doing it. For my NES and SNES, I prefer to use the keyboard, the PSX/2 D-Pad annoys me beyond anything, you ever try to execute a Ryu roundhouse ↓↘→ without the ↘?
Old 8th January 2009, 03:06 PM

Default Modify xBox Controller

Since the xBox360 idea has alread been thrown out there, I would say it is probably to best alternative (if you can get one cheap). It is already USB and it has two trigger buttons on the right and left side.

My suggestion:
xBox360 = N64
left analog stick = analog stick
start = start
d-pad = d-pad
right analog stick = c buttons (up, down, left, right)
a = a
x = b
right top trigger = right trigger
left top trigger = left trigger
left bottom trigger = z

This works rather well for me.

Now, if you have an 'old' xBox remote lying around collecting dust, it is not quite a 'perfect' (with two trigger buttons on each side), but you can clip the quick release tip that plugs into the xBox and clip an USB cable (device cable, not an extender... like for a printer) and splice the wires together. All the colors match as the controller has a USB interface. You'll have an extra wire on the controller (yellow, I think) that you can just leave alone, it will serve no purpose, plus you'll have nothing to connect it to.

After that use the XBCD driver (just search in Google) to install it into Windows (XP and Vista work).

Anyway, that is my $0.02.

David
Old 8th January 2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofas View Post
Now, if you have an 'old' xBox remote lying around collecting dust, it is not quite a 'perfect' (with two trigger buttons on each side), but you can clip the quick release tip that plugs into the xBox and clip an USB cable (device cable, not an extender... like for a printer) and splice the wires together. All the colors match as the controller has a USB interface. You'll have an extra wire on the controller (yellow, I think) that you can just leave alone, it will serve no purpose, plus you'll have nothing to connect it to.

After that use the XBCD driver (just search in Google) to install it into Windows (XP and Vista work).

Just FYI, I only threw that out there (using the xBox remote) because as, to me, it is somewhat of an all inclusive solution. In addtion to Project64, I am also using ePSXe, and experimenting with Dolpin GC. So far, instead of trying to manage different unique remotes for each emulator, I am finding this to be the most efficient solution.

Anyway, again, kudos to the Project64 team! I got the kids (and I) a Wii for Christmas and was seriously contemplating buying my N64 karts for play on the Wii, however, even with the component cable hookup to my 1080p display (which would only show at 480p), the graphics would look nowhere near as good as with your emulator's ability to render at 1920x1080 in realtime. Thank you.
Old 19th January 2009, 10:24 AM
Project Supporter

Personally I use the Saitek P990... the reason... ton-o-buttons. I can pretty much set it up to emulate any system out there since there are soooo many buttons.

6 face buttons
4 shoulder buttons
dual analog (each with a push & click button)
d-pad (looks funny, but works well.... not as good as say a Playstation or NES d-pad... but still works well).

I think you can still get this for around $20. They also have a few other models with wireless and/or rumble etc... you can check out the manuals here.. they're in PDF format though, but do show a picture of the product on the first page of each manual. Just be careful as not all of them have all 4 shoulder buttons if that's what you need.
http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/man_pads.htm

I'm not saying it's perfect... but a well rounded gamepad mostly again because you can set it up to have the same "feel" as any other systems pad... especially the hard N64 pad with 6 face buttons and three should buttons and an anlog stick and start button.

Sorry... but an N64 emulation game pad should have 6 face buttons... not the "standard" Playstation or Xbox 4 face buttons.

Personal opinion of course.