Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 1st October 2014, 05:06 AM

Default Why did Project64 1.7 not get released, but instead a faulty 2.x was instead?

Could someone please just release whatever the latest files of the project64 1.7 source were before messing up the entire code?

Project64 2.x has so many issues, the most important one is the improper FPS and or internal clocking issues. Game timers do not run at real time, Games run at slightly higher FPS than they should.

Project64 1.7 seems to be 'best' project64 version, but the only way to obtain it is to download leaks of it. For the sake of the emulation community could you just release project64 1.7 officially, you already milked everybody for all of their money the least you can do is give us what people 'donated' for.
Old 1st October 2014, 05:08 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

10/10 thread

the source for pj64 1.6 is out there, which is a decent version, but nothing really has been done with it
Old 1st October 2014, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsx_ View Post
10/10 thread

the source for pj64 1.6 is out there, which is a decent version, but nothing really has been done with it
If I am going to take the time to design a stable kaillera method then I'm also going to take the time to make sure my emulator can first of all, play the most common games at 100% functionality. In that case I'll be using mupenplus, not Project64FPS
Old 1st October 2014, 05:15 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= Smasherx74 =X= View Post
If I am going to take the time to design a stable kaillera method then I'm also going to take the time to make sure my emulator can first of all, play the most common games at 100% functionality. In that case I'll be using mupenplus, not Project64FPS
yeah mupen64plus is pretty damn good
Old 1st October 2014, 05:22 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Lol sup Smasher! Been a while.

Imo all of these emulators have flaws. I wouldn't bother with Mupen64Plus. They took out zilmar spec, so not many good plugins for it.

One emulator with good potential though, is 1964 1.1. In ultrafast, they fixed the GUI and sped up the cpu interpreter. From my experience it was the best kaillera out of the big 3 (1964, Mupen++beta, Pj64 1.4k). Best as in, never desynched.

One issue I have with kaillera is that it ruins the audio for some reason. That's why I'm kinda leaning towards just using AQZ, but I'll have to do more research on that.

I'm actually interested in combining code from different emulators, as well as implementing some stuff on my own.
Old 1st October 2014, 05:32 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Only decent and easy way to run Mupen64/Mupen64 Plus is through RetroArch on Windows, CLI be damned.
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way
Old 1st October 2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
Lol sup Smasher! Been a while.

Imo all of these emulators have flaws. I wouldn't bother with Mupen64Plus. They took out zilmar spec, so not many good plugins for it.

One emulator with good potential though, is 1964 1.1. In ultrafast, they fixed the GUI and sped up the cpu interpreter. From my experience it was the best kaillera out of the big 3 (1964, Mupen++beta, Pj64 1.4k). Best as in, never desynched.

One issue I have with kaillera is that it ruins the audio for some reason. That's why I'm kinda leaning towards just using AQZ, but I'll have to do more research on that.

I'm actually interested in combining code from different emulators, as well as implementing some stuff on my own.
Mupen64++ is the most compatible kaillera emulator. And what Mupen64++ specifically can't play, Donkey Kong 64, Project64 1.7AQZ can.

Also pj64k is based on 1964's netplay.
Old 1st October 2014, 06:00 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Mupen64++ is the most compatible kaillera emulator. And what Mupen64++ specifically can't play, Donkey Kong 64, Project64 1.7AQZ can.

Also pj64k is based on 1964's netplay.
I can't really comment on game compatibility. Technically you may be right, but 1964 1.1 came out in 2009 and the kailera code is but more stable than 1964 0.85's. So there's a good amount to learn from 1964 1.1's code base.

Mupen64 is cool and all, but it seriously needs a faster recompiler ;/ . They also should have given the user an option to enable/disable expansion pack ;/ .

Even though Mupen's a more stable emulator in general, 1964 1.1 still desynchs less, due to the superior kaillera implementation.
Old 1st October 2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Project64 2.x has so many issues, the most important one is the improper FPS and or internal clocking issues. Game timers do not run at real time, Games run at slightly higher FPS than they should.
Someone correct me if i'm wrong but i think all these issues aren't caused by the emulator itself but from its default settings. Seriously, the default settings are BAD. For every single game. First of all the default vi refresh rate is at 2200 which should be wrong as in 1.7 version is set to 1500. Secondly there's this extra option "Ai count per byte" that i have no idea what it does and nobody knows what's the correct value. Everyone seems to put random values until a game seems to run correct.

Then you have the "fixed audio timing" option enabled for all games. This shit must be turned off for all games. No exceptions. It causes unstable frame rate and stuttering, despite running the game full speed or not.

PJ64 2.1 was underwhelming when i fist used it, but then i took some time tinkering with every game separately and now i can run more games with less problems than i do with 1.6 or 1.7. This emulator needs a correct RDB/Default settings file BADLY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
Mupen64 is cool and all, but it seriously needs a faster recompiler ;/ . They also should have given the user an option to enable/disable expansion pack ;/ .
You can do this in Retroarch's Mupen 64+ core.

Personally i prefer Pj64 2.1 over Mupen any day. I can play many more games with less glitches with it.

Last edited by Tasoulis; 1st October 2014 at 06:05 AM.
Old 1st October 2014, 06:15 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

All this talk about Retroarchs Mupen, i'm rather curious now. What plugins do they support?

Honestly I might try to tweak mupen64plus and add back zilmar spec. Problem is, i don't even know any significant differences between Mupen64 and Mupen64Plus. So there's a possibility that I'm better off just working with the original Mupen64.

Is there even a fork of Mupen64Plus that can display VI/s? I'm curious to test the core's speed.

Anyway, I agree with Tasoulis. Although I'm not sure if everything can be fixed by simply tweaking settings.