Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

View Poll Results: Should The Project 64 Team Consider an iPhone App?
Yes 5 41.67%
No 7 58.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th March 2009, 02:15 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Thinking more in terms of practicality, where'd all the buttons be mapped to anyways? They just about got away with the mapping on the GBA emulator for iPhone/iPod Touch - there's no way they'd be able to fit n64 buttons on that touch screen.

That external controller thing on youtube would have to be used, one presumes.
Old 16th March 2009, 09:26 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

That is for the uninspired to work with, but the N64's RDP is more than just another dimension for the PSP handler. If you could fit your fingers on the controller functions of whatever is given it will be all the same of insignificance until the issue of draw-to-screen rendering is optimized.

Clearly controller function emulation is probably the only thing I myself can imagine conceptually, but the process of engineering a shell for the N64 on the PSP in terms of vectors, audio signals, and main memory interpretation is not among anyone here. :P
Old 20th March 2009, 01:39 AM

Cool A Controller Layout Has Already Been Designed

That is not at all a problem (as rswedlow already stated). I already have a workable button scheme mapped out. Just to get an idea, consider the iPhone turned horizontally with the emulation taking up the entire screen, now imagine all of the buttons needed to play that emulation mapped out over the screen. Most N64 games don't require all of the available buttons on the controller so it is very feasible to have them spread out over the emulation field. A feature I would defiantly include would be to give the player the ability to change the button layout, sensitivity, and transparency. Ideally (at least from my point of view) the buttons should be invisible as not to get in the way of any cinematic.

Check out these youtube videos to get an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUBOX...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XNtJ...eature=related

Here is my idea of how the buttons should be laid out:

Old 20th March 2009, 02:33 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I really have faith in trying this (even if it meant a black screen--but just for the sake of it engineering an emulator for just the sound and other memory to get a working feeling just listening to it), and it feels awful not being in any position to start like writing my own emulator right now. This is not because as if I'm three decades old with a dynamic job status...just that I haven't learned anything about getting started.
[I should probably confess: If I was using my time wisely on homework right now I wouldn't be online for a long time. Hell no I'm not failing classes; I just have this constant unconfidence and pessimism telling me to not work right away (not depression yet simultaneous with feeling guilty for not doing the right thing and preventing the troublesome stress I know I'm going to get myself into in getting caught up, probably linked to abusive childhood jazz like that not going into there). I feel like if I was in year one of six in college with the one-class-per-day scheme I would feel more dedicated to learning everything individually...rather than listening to seven statues of compassionless ignorance per day. I definitely listen no matter how tired I wake up to be; in fact that's one reason why I do surprisingly well is because of quizzes and tests.]

The best thing we could probably do (at least for me given my timely position) rather than spend at least an hour every day optimizing findings about specifications with some kind of 3GL is track down various documentations and explain just what could work for whoever would be willing to code it? Of course I've never written a hardware emulator. By all means on Spring Break I have no reason not to look at like, actually trying to program something. The last thing I programmed was touched up on my polynomial solver (up to degree sixty-four polynomials), but at least algorithmic engines can be perfect compared to an emulator.

One thing that got my idea started of myself trying to write one is the lack of decent damn grammar around (everywhere). How can you care about the quality of your work and just leave all kinds of crap errors? Yeah I know, in middle ages Japanese "Zilmer" meant up yours, too. Calling that crap pride or optimism. I do know my supposed slacking off on paper work ties well with my messed up priorities of thinking all by myself, and I take every single word I handwrite like a serious error while I'm writing it. Emulators at least for the N64, crap everywhere. I'm sick of seeing a partial English expression in what translates to assembly anyway as well; that's probably another hinderance in the process of debugging due to lack of self-awareness. Silly second-conscious-rate wittiness replacing professional intellect, lets no light in, just desire
kkk yeah I know you love me too

Last edited by HatCat; 20th March 2009 at 02:59 AM.
Old 22nd March 2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurorer View Post
It seems easy to control, but how its the performance in 3d games??
Old 22nd March 2009, 08:26 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Frankly, that control scheme looks hideous.
Old 23rd March 2009, 08:35 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Mr. Syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcdjy View Post
Frankly, that control scheme looks hideous.
I agree, I mean the concept "looks" good, but just thinking about playing Goldeneye on it makes me wanna cringe...
Old 23rd March 2009, 08:50 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

See, it needs something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ojLK...layer_embedded

'cept made in someone's back garden (or yard, to other peeps), so it has a similar set of buttons / joystick to the n64. If someone can do that... then fix'd.

The 'joystick' I speak of could just be one of them 'slot onto d-pad' things, which attach to the d-pad. Kinda hard to explain.
Old 23rd March 2009, 09:20 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

If he's worked at it I say whatever works, in terms of stopping writing the actual emulation engine, rather than worrying over the control
Old 23rd March 2009, 10:01 PM

Arrow Uhh...can we please move on to a new subject.

My concept was well, just that, a concept. A working one, but still only a concept. My hope was that someone else would design a better one. The problem with using that iControlPad (or whatever it was) that xcdjy pointed out, is that the the iPhone's only access port is OFF LIMITS. I am serious, I have no idea in hell how that guy in the video was able to integrate that control pad into the game's programing. It is simply beyond me. And yes I know that they will eventually release their source code but that is beside the point. My dream is that this app, if you will call it, makes its way to the app store designated as "fan art" available for free to anyone that has an iPhone. For that to be a reality the game needs to be playable right out of the download so-to-speak, with no need to buy any extra hardware.