Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

View Poll Results: Dolphin-like Wiki for PJ64
Would be nice 13 92.86%
Worst idead of the year 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11th July 2015, 12:58 PM
Ambient_Malice Ambient_Malice is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboy181 View Post
yep.. but who will do the work?
I'd be glad to contribute.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11th July 2015, 03:46 PM
HatCat's Avatar
HatCat HatCat is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In my hat.
Posts: 16,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsx_ View Post
i would

i was going to do the wiki on github but i couldnt make sense of that shit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambient_Malice View Post
I'd be glad to contribute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboy181 View Post
yep.. but who will do the work?
I would recommend the GitHub wiki if you guys feel like doing a wiki.

theboy that's a silly question, of course anyone who has interest in this will do the work. :P

It just makes things easier for open-source projects already on GitHub, because the wiki feature built in to GitHub can be managed on the same level or point with internal references to cite the source (RDB files?) or whatever.

The current pj64 wiki startup is here (as I think I remember linking dsx), but you could have to create new pages since the only page there was created by me on accident. GitHub comment syntax is I think the same thing as GitHub wiki formatting syntax (**double asterisks** for bold, _underscores_ for italicization, may have to look up how to do links, images and tables). I suppose if you need any practice you guys could in theory always contribute to my wiki on the Zelda save format inputs.
https://github.com/cxd4/zs-flash/wiki
So it's a dummy index that links to "saved data format", if I was missing any GameShark codes, tested inputs or anything else in the tables in the pages that links to it would be easy to edit the page to have the info in. (Though I'm not sure whether I have permissions set up in a way that anonymous can edit the pages.)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11th July 2015, 03:53 PM
dsx_ dsx_ is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,105
Default

dolphin hate aside, look at a page on the dolphin wiki https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.p...The_Wind_Waker

at first glance it is SO much more versatile than the github one, but yeah if you or someone can figure out how to make the github one look like this, with links, images, tables, audio samples, youtube embeds, that kind of thing, that would be great and we can make this the most in-depth documentation EVER

let's do this
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11th July 2015, 04:03 PM
HatCat's Avatar
HatCat HatCat is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In my hat.
Posts: 16,255
Default

The wiki on pj GitHub sucks because it barely even exists. Its own creation was spawned accidentally (whoops...).

You mentioned links, images, tables...those are doable already if you have seen any of the pages on my MM wiki.

https://github.com/cxd4/zs-flash/wiki/player_mask

There are two tables, no images (because I never thought to use images on GitHub except maybe once) but images can be added in GitHub syntax as well if you prefer them, like in this post where I called zilmar a Slowpoke:
https://github.com/Azimer/AziAudio/pull/108
Code:
However because zilmar currently is a ![Slowpoke](http://www.froster.org/forum/style_emoticons/default/slowpoke.png)
Therefore the only things in that Dolphin wiki page you just linked to and mentioned that can't be done in GitHub wiki are I think embedded YouTube videos (btw Google is WAY worse than Dolphin, youtube can go to fuck ) and audio samples played directly on the page--unless you use inline HTML in the GitHub wikis which is to a degree supported.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11th July 2015, 04:05 PM
dsx_ dsx_ is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,105
Default

sounds more difficult to use github
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11th July 2015, 04:08 PM
HatCat's Avatar
HatCat HatCat is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In my hat.
Posts: 16,255
Default

Well you say that because my post was entirely about analogizing that everything in the page you linked can be done on GitHub wiki in the same way; therefore there is no difference in difficulty.

Maybe you think I'm egotistically obsessed with GitHub or something--I am not. There's nothing really unique at all about GitHub wiki; basically all wiki's are the same in terms of features needed for a completed and in-depth documentation. In fact, I rather doubt that the Dolphin wiki is anything home-grown; I'm sure it could even be GitHub wiki software based on the features used on the page you linked.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11th July 2015, 04:20 PM
dsx_ dsx_ is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,105
Default

they use mediawiki i think

dolphin wiki/mediawiki or similar is easier in terms of, anyone can easily edit it directly online and update it instantly; unless this can be done on github?

Last edited by dsx_; 11th July 2015 at 04:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11th July 2015, 04:27 PM
HatCat's Avatar
HatCat HatCat is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In my hat.
Posts: 16,255
Default

Yeah I'm not a wiki expert. I've heard of MediaWiki but only because of a weddings site I was permitted to be a grammar troll on.

So Media Wiki, markdown-based/GitHub wiki, um, Wikipedia wiki? All I know is I'm not choosy enough to look up what differences there may be; I mostly just like to be able to lay out the full information with basic formatting that mere HTML3 would suffice to provide--tables, images, links, headings, horizontal dividers, blah. Just seems like enough to me I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsx_ View Post
dolphin wiki/mediawiki or similar is easier in terms of, anyone can easily edit it directly online and update it instantly; unless this can be done on github?
I'm not sure yet whether 100% anonymous editing is possible (I would have to look that up), but I think anyone with a GitHub account can directly and instantly edit any of my Zelda wiki pages?

Like, try this link see if it tells you you don't have permission or whatever.
https://github.com/cxd4/zs-flash/wiki/File-Format/_edit
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11th July 2015, 04:35 PM
dsx_ dsx_ is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,105
Default

OH WHAT THE FUCK

i think i already knew this, i'm retarded

never mind, github wiki looks fine actually...hopefully other people agree

is there a way to create page groups/sections, if you know what i mean? so we can have a bunch of pages under a "games" group and a bunch of pages in a "guides" section, stuff like that

like

Guides
  • Configuring PJ64
  • Advanced options etc.

Games
  • 007: The World Is Not Enough
  • 1080 Snowboarding etc.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11th July 2015, 04:48 PM
HatCat's Avatar
HatCat HatCat is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In my hat.
Posts: 16,255
Default

I haven't figured out how to do that, as you can see from my attempt at learning wiki that all of my pages are clustered under a single sidebar.
https://github.com/cxd4/zs-flash/wiki

But, now that you mention it actually, I do see a link below that which says "+ Add a custom sidebar". So I think if there is a way to put pages under "folders" so to speak then it would have something to do with that.

But for now all I really know how to do is create new pages and put up either inline or reference links.

It also is possible to use Git itself (independent of GitHub) to clone the Wiki as a repository of markdown files, so I suppose if it was possible for guest/unregistered to edit wiki without having a GitHub account then it would probably have something to do with an indirect method like that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.