Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

View Poll Results: Dolphin-like Wiki for PJ64
Would be nice 13 92.86%
Worst idead of the year 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th July 2015, 04:50 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

i guess when i said 'anybody' i meant only our gang, wouldnt want some irrel posting misinformation on the wiki, so yeah forget public editing

yeah custom sidebar would be cool, we'll look into it
Old 11th July 2015, 07:37 PM

The problem with GitHub's wiki is that it's not really built for maintaining a large amount of pages, and having only a long single page is a maintainability nightmare. GitHub wiki pages are just static markdown.

MediaWiki. It's full of awesome features like templates, so you don't have to rebuild each page from scratch. Plus you can allow user contributions and easily moderate the edits.

Another idea is to do a custom solution in PHP/SQL. You can convert the RDB itself to a SQL table and extend it further. With that you can create nice compatibility list pages, and do statistics.

Of course zilmar needs to be on board in order to do that, but I think he has been wanting to update the site at some point - this could be a feature of the new site.

Last edited by zike; 12th July 2015 at 03:25 AM.
Old 11th July 2015, 08:03 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

yeahhh i wanna have like 400 pages (every game)

hatcat and me had a chat about the github one and made some progress but yeah i guess it will be up to zilmar? mediawiki is really appealing to me though, but we'll see what happens
Old 12th July 2015, 12:47 AM

Yeah I agree. With MediaWiki, not only can you do per-game articles, but it can be home to all PJ64's other guides and help pages, with a user-friendly wiki homepage.

Definitely got me thinking though, the wiki can't really replace the RDB, but it can definitely keep track of emulation bugs and issues in each game. Like dolphin/pcsx2 it'd be cool to have a compatibility table on the homepage, and it could be synced to the wiki (each game linking to the wiki).

I couldn't help myself but make a mockup site, maybe it will pique zilmar's interest: http://i.imgur.com/O2GKp0v.png

Last edited by zike; 12th July 2015 at 06:50 AM. Reason: image too big
Old 12th July 2015, 12:48 AM

Edit: Improved it a bit http://i.imgur.com/v6v2KmW.png

Last edited by zike; 12th July 2015 at 06:49 AM. Reason: might as well use this post
Old 12th July 2015, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsx_ View Post
i guess when i said 'anybody' i meant only our gang, wouldnt want some irrel posting misinformation on the wiki, so yeah forget public editing
The input of randoms can be valuable. Might it be possible to have a system where public edits can be vetted? Basically to strike a balance between missing out on valuable information and having well-meaning people spamming pages with nonsense. After all, N64 emulation does need more communication and sharing of knowledge.
Old 13th July 2015, 01:04 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambient_Malice View Post
Might it be possible to have a system where public edits can be vetted?
It would most likely have to have something to do with Git.

GitHub wiki's can be cloned as Git repositories and edited that way as well, so somebody without a GitHub account (an unregistered guest) could use Git on their local machine to commit changes to the wiki and send a pull request, using some other Git storage site like Gitorious or whatever it's called.

So if they're intelligent, they could "edit" GitHub wiki's without being registered GitHub users, but I wouldn't shed too many tears for a bunch of anons being too stubborn to sign up.
Old 24th May 2016, 04:50 PM

Too bad it never came true.
Old 25th May 2016, 02:27 AM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

I did clone the git hub wiki that people had done some work on:
https://github.com/project64/project64-wiki

at some point after the next release when I get to do some work on the site, I would like to install media wiki and have it so any commit to the git wiki will automatically get pushed there.

While it should be media wiki, all the edits will be done on the git repository instead of directly on the page. It allows for pull requests and potential discussions for any changes.
Old 27th April 2018, 01:47 PM

Someone can make the dream true?