Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Site News

Old 1st December 2008, 01:04 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Mr. Syrup

I wonder if sending save files to the "shared" or "Public" documents folder will solve the "user made it" so "only user can use it" issue. Wouldnt that then make the files compatable for all users being written directly into the shared documents or public documents folder?

Perhaps sub folders kind of like this:

Shared Documents > PJ64 Saves > ├ Game Saves
----------------------------------├ Controller Profiles
----------------------------------├ Image Captures
----------------------------------├ AVI Captures ()
----------------------------------├ Etc...
Also, on top of what I said above, you listen here okay?! Look closely at this fist, if you so much as smell it wrong it'll impose itself onto your face okay?! You think you tough? I bet behind that PC you're just a timid old clown capable of nothing but wackin the sackin. You smell me tigga?!

Last edited by Mdkcheatz; 1st December 2008 at 01:21 PM. Reason: terminology swap
Old 1st December 2008, 06:49 PM

I think it should ask where to save its settings and saves on the first startup.

1. In the User Directory.
2. In its Installation Directory.
3. In a custom directory.

If it is beeing started from a directory different from Program Files/Programme
it should have Installation Directory selected as default.
If it is beeing started from within a Program Files directory it should have User Directory selected as default.
Old 2nd December 2008, 10:24 AM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

ch**st, theres about 10 ways to do this and most of them are valid. this'll take a while to reach agreement methinks..
Main test PC: Athlon dual core 1.25-2.5Ghz (variable), 2GB RAM, GF8800GS driver 175.19, 1680x1050, External Audio, XP SP2.
Old 2nd December 2008, 10:31 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Mr. Syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiff_ View Post
ch**st, theres about 10 ways to do this and most of them are valid. this'll take a while to reach agreement methinks..

By the power invested in me: let's vote!>? that's the only way to solve such a debate!
Also, on top of what I said above, you listen here okay?! Look closely at this fist, if you so much as smell it wrong it'll impose itself onto your face okay?! You think you tough? I bet behind that PC you're just a timid old clown capable of nothing but wackin the sackin. You smell me tigga?!

Last edited by Mdkcheatz; 2nd December 2008 at 10:38 AM. Reason: typos
Old 2nd December 2008, 07:06 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:

Well Documents\My Games is the easiest to access, appdata is usually a hidden folder,

as long as i can still set a hard location for both the settings and the saves, its not a major problem with me.

Total commander uses a ini item to set it to use the windows dir, registry, or program dir for its ini/settings location.

CPU:Intel i7 920 @ 3.8(D0), Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Monitor:BenQ G2400WD
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 4th December 2008, 07:46 AM
Project Supporter

Why not support profiles in PJ64 so different users can have difference settings (or in more personal cases for specific games), then each individual can save what ever, where ever they darn well like .
Old 4th December 2008, 03:45 PM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesso View Post
Why not support profiles in PJ64 so different users can have difference settings (or in more personal cases for specific games), then each individual can save what ever, where ever they darn well like .
that is what we're talking about. each user will be able to have their own .cfg, and hence all their own settings. the problem is more how to set that up.
Main test PC: Athlon dual core 1.25-2.5Ghz (variable), 2GB RAM, GF8800GS driver 175.19, 1680x1050, External Audio, XP SP2.
Old 4th December 2008, 03:48 PM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall_Leonhart View Post
Well Documents\My Games is the easiest to access, appdata is usually a hidden folder,

as long as i can still set a hard location for both the settings and the saves, its not a major problem with me.

Total commander uses a ini item to set it to use the windows dir, registry, or program dir for its ini/settings location.
I agree with the people who have already posted to say why My Documents is a no-no. unless, that was one option presented in the setup wizard (and not the default).

e.g.

wizard step1: choose type of install
*Single user or portable install
*Multiple users

wizard later step: save location for current user (skip this for portable install, just use $AppDir\Saves, user can change later)
*%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Project64\saves\ for states, %AppData%\Project64\saves\ for native saves (recommended for roaming profiles)
*My Documents\My Project64 saves\
*Browse for save folder... (choose your own)

etc

Last edited by Smiff_; 4th December 2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 8th December 2008, 02:31 AM

Quote:
that is what we're talking about. each user will be able to have their own .cfg, and hence all their own settings. the problem is more how to set that up.
If a user can't save their game because their account does not have permissions to save to the folder then they can't edit a cfg file in the folder.
also I think that you should at least offer a version that can be unzipped and not installed which is totally self contained for portability's sake. also limited users cant install programs anyway and some people make myself would rather use a self-contained zip file is then a installer so we avoid the mess of cleaning invalidated registry entries after we uninstall it. Registry cleaning is such a nuisance. So do not eliminate a self-contained zip folder.
Old 8th December 2008, 03:07 AM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdevil View Post
limited users cant install programs anyway and some people make myself would rather use a self-contained zip file is then a installer.
At some stage I will us NSIS for the installer, I believe 7zip is able to treat these like a zip file, depending on how it is set up.

Tags
features