Old 6th December 2016, 12:47 AM

Default Paper Mario 64 Cheat Help

Hi all!

I was trying to use some of the cheats that are on PJ64 Version 2.3.0.210. There are a few in there already but i'm not sure if I am enabling them correctly. I click on the check box to use it but when I go into the game it doesn't do what it says.

Anyone know what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks in advanced!
Old 6th December 2016, 06:25 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

What are the codes you are trying?
Infinite/Max of some stats,always 99 star points,or what?

Some games have codes that change ASM,and the newer version of PJ64 is worse about not updating the cache to reflect those value changes,making some cheats non-functional unless running in uncached pure interpreter via editing game settings,but that is way too slow.

An exploit would be to make a savestate with the code already active,and load the savestate afterward to trigger the effect.
Newer versions of PJ64 have the savestates fixed recently.
Old 6th December 2016, 10:59 PM

Hey dude,

Yeah I should have included the ones I was trying to use.

I was trying to use "Have Hammer Lvl 3", Have boots Lvl3, and Lots of Coins
Old 6th December 2016, 11:26 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroben View Post
Some games have codes that change ASM,and the newer version of PJ64 is worse about not updating the cache to reflect those value changes,making some cheats non-functional unless running in uncached pure interpreter via editing game settings,but that is way too slow.

An exploit would be to make a savestate with the code already active,and load the savestate afterward to trigger the effect.
Newer versions of PJ64 have the savestates fixed recently.
Saving data was changed to let windows handle it. It doesn't write until Project64 closes. It fixed slow down on games that used SRAM a lot during play.

I wonder if making a save after setting the cheat and restarting Project64/load the save, will work, without having to change to Interpreter.
Or maybe a workaround to force flushing data to disk/cache when you choose. With a hotkey combination like ctrl+shift+f or something.

Edit:
Do you know if cheats use eeprom, sram or flashram?
This is the commit that changed the behaviour I think.
https://github.com/project64/project...f81802d2b3ba51

Last edited by Frank74; 6th December 2016 at 11:43 PM.
Old 7th December 2016, 03:57 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Saving to the file itself is different than currently using the data within the running game.

The hammer code is not an ASM related address,it SHOULD change in real-time and show up the instant enabled to let Mario use it in areas at least visibly and with the corresponding (if no sound badges are equipped) sound it makes.

Decrypting the code via GameHacking[DOT]org results in 8010F291 0002 which sets Mario's hammer to the lvl3 one.

I hate that dumb idea of using encrypted xploder codes instead of Gameshark/Action Replay/Xploder (decrypted) ones instead.
Such a PITA to have to visit a site just to decrypt each one I run into to see what I am working with in these situations.