Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Issues

Old 6th October 2015, 09:32 PM

Default Can I limit my Framerate on project 64.

I'm trying to learn how to speed run majora's mask any%, and I'm having trouble with some of the tricks at 60 fps
Old 7th October 2015, 11:48 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

60 FPS breaks everything, don't even try.
Old 7th October 2015, 05:09 PM

Sadly that is the truth, I am a fellow speedrunner too and I tried everything withing my knowledge of the game's internals to make a remotely playable experience on even 30FPS but both N64's Zeldas are forever condemned to a 1FPS (because 20FPS or 1FPS is the same for me) fate...

Damn be Nintendo for tying everything to the FPS, they could at least left some code on the rom for a future adaptation to at least a 30FPS mode...

Last edited by Marcelo_20xx; 7th October 2015 at 05:12 PM.
Old 7th October 2015, 05:20 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Too bad none of the expert Zelda modders are looking into it to find a global physics mod to sync it up for 60fps perfection.

But what if there is a different code address that could force 60fps without changing execution speed?
Maybe I can mediocre-ly tackle it sometime with a code hunt to find funny and awesome codes until I maybe find such a code that only changes fps.
Meanwhile,I may need to also try and find slowdown codes for Glover AND Star Fox to make the 60fps codes perfect.
They both need that highspeed camera/slow motion styled slowdown code along with SM64 to make them flawless.

If only I knew of a way to generalize the Banjo-Kazooie/Banjo-Tooie game speed codes to figure it out for all other games.
Old 7th October 2015, 07:25 PM

Zelda is based on a heavily modified engine of SM64, chances are that, if you found a way to have a working 60FPS on SM64 then you can somehow port it to both Zeldas. There is even a script dissasembler for SM64 since that game is more popular among modders than the Zeldas, which is a shame since we have even a debug version available for both games and all I found is level editors with deal only with the way actors are placed on the different stages...

RARE games are another thing, they were way ahead of its time, their devs kept pushing the limits of the N64 to have games render as beautifully as the console was capable sacrificing the FPS (part of the game community bashed their games back then), I am even thinking that they somehow knew their games would be emulated on more powerful hardware and then they would ran as they originally intended for, without all the slowmo that the console was plagued off...

That is the reason why is more easy to have a playable 60FPS on their games that on the Nintendo ones...

As for you tackling on a code hunting for a playable way to have the Zeldas run at 60 or even 30 FPS I wish you the very best luck and the game community will be forever grateful to you if you pull it somehow...

With all the years passed since I first played that Golden Cartridge, that was my only BIG gripe I held upon this game, otherwise is a 11/10 for me...
Old 9th October 2015, 09:03 PM

I have found another problem, I tried adding a cheat code. The cheat made it so I could teleport anywhere on the map, at first I couldn't add it. Than I tried editing the cheat "Fight DEMO Majora's mask" and when I did that the cheat didn't work and it crashed my p64. When I tried opening mm it was blank, nothing but the framerate and emulation started. I have tried reinstalling p64, LoZ MM, and Putting the cheat code I edited back to normal and nothing has worked.