Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v1.6

Old 19th January 2010, 02:15 AM

Default MarioKart 64 vs Mode Running Fast

Alright... first post here, I did all the searches I could to find someone who has already posted about the same problem but couldn't quite find it.

I recently finally got around to plugging 4 controllers (2 logitech, 2 saitek) into my computer and running P64 for some 4 player MarioKart action. The problem is most courses (exceptions: Royal Raceway.. Luigi Raceway... maybe a couple others) run incredibly fast. I'm aware that the tradition N64 version does run vs courses a bit faster than typical 150cc but this is MUCH faster.

Someone posted earlier about having this problem with DK Jungle Parkway but I'm having it with almost all of the courses while running multiplayer with 3/4 people. The same problem does not occur during vs mode with 2 players or battle mode (except on Skyscraper where the same problem happens).

FPS limiter is enabled but doesn't seem to be limiting the FPS enough... or... something?

Can anybody help?

Edit: Also noticed the music doesn't play in vs/battle modes with 3+ players... not sure if that's actually true on N64 or not, just figured I'd provide as much info about the problem as possible

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 19th January 2010, 03:29 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Options/Settings...
In the "Options" tab, "Hide Advanced Settings" should be disabled.

Then in the games browser for Project64 when you right-click the entry for Mario Kart 64, there's an option "Edit Game Settings". In these settings the "Counter Factor" is an important coefficient of the game's internal frame rate.

Another thing to look at is to see how if it all audio synchronization affects the timing issue. You can enable the option to "sync game to audio" in the default sound plug-in, in Project64 through Options/Configure Audio Plugin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNewb View Post
Edit: Also noticed the music doesn't play in vs/battle modes with 3+ players... not sure if that's actually true on N64 or not, just figured I'd provide as much info about the problem as possible
Weird, possibly (even if during the intro scene) someone hit the left or right C-buttons to modify the sound volume (or mute it)?
Otherwise I'll get back on that.
Old 19th January 2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswedlow View Post
Options/Settings...
In the "Options" tab, "Hide Advanced Settings" should be disabled.

Then in the games browser for Project64 when you right-click the entry for Mario Kart 64, there's an option "Edit Game Settings". In these settings the "Counter Factor" is an important coefficient of the game's internal frame rate.

Another thing to look at is to see how if it all audio synchronization affects the timing issue. You can enable the option to "sync game to audio" in the default sound plug-in, in Project64 through Options/Configure Audio Plugin....

Weird, possibly (even if during the intro scene) someone hit the left or right C-buttons to modify the sound volume (or mute it)?
Otherwise I'll get back on that.
Alright.. So setting the counter factor to 1 had some effect to slow the thing down but not near enough on the 3-4 player versus levels, nor did the sync game to audio... The thing is the default level works just fine for everything that's not 3-4 player versus or battle skyscraper.

The music... the first time I though someone may have hit the c buttons but then you can just put it back on by hitting the c buttons again and that didn't work and I've reloaded the rom enough times to know that's not what's happening...

Coincidentally I noticed that while playing Diddy Kong Racing vs mode I also didn't get music, though the speed issues were not there.
Old 19th January 2010, 08:05 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I'll address the rest once I peacefully set an end to all these other processes I got running right now so that I can test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNewb View Post
Alright.. So setting the counter factor to 1 had some effect to slow the thing down but not near enough on the 3-4 player versus levels, nor did the sync game to audio... The thing is the default level works just fine for everything that's not 3-4 player versus or battle skyscraper.
Maybe changing either the emulator or the graphics plug-in--which is rendering the frames and internal rate--will affect this issue in mariokart64.

Glide64 has good support in this area, and it comes with Mupen64. If you install Mupen64 from that website's providence, see how both the different emulator and plug-ins affect the synchronization in Mario Kart 64. Hopefully this will change something so that we can trace a source behind the main problem.
Old 19th January 2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I'll address the rest once I peacefully set an end to all these other processes I got running right now so that I can test.

Maybe changing either the emulator or the graphics plug-in--which is rendering the frames and internal rate--will affect this issue in mariokart64.

Glide64 has good support in this area, and it comes with Mupen64. If you install Mupen64 from that website's providence, see how both the different emulator and plug-ins affect the synchronization in Mario Kart 64. Hopefully this will change something so that we can trace a source behind the main problem.
changed the graphics plug-in to Glide64 on P64, didn't work... and tried Glide64 in Mupen64 which didn't work either... The interesting thing about Glide64 on P64 was I ran it with FPS showing and it revealed that the fps isn't running any higher on the faster races, they're simply going faster... not sure if that helps, but the fps never topped 25.

Also V/is around 50 and N64% around 80...

Still no music in either program...

Somebody on EmuTalk mentioned it may be a problem with the rom I'm using... but I guess we're not allowed to discuss that due to forum rules?

Last edited by SuperNewb; 19th January 2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 20th January 2010, 01:10 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I never tested the PAL version, which you may be using.
If you see a limited VI rate of 50 VI/s, you're probably playing the (E) version of the game. You should look for an NTSC version like (U), since the unrefined rate is really 60 VI/s.

Maybe that will affect the other problems and maybe not.
I'd better give mariokart64 a full test now. I should have thought of this before; it won't be too boring either. :P
I manage a collection of game saves is another reason.
Old 20th January 2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I never tested the PAL version, which you may be using.
If you see a limited VI rate of 50 VI/s, you're probably playing the (E) version of the game. You should look for an NTSC version like (U), since the unrefined rate is really 60 VI/s.

Maybe that will affect the other problems and maybe not.
I'd better give mariokart64 a full test now. I should have thought of this before; it won't be too boring either. :P
I manage a collection of game saves is another reason.
Found at NTSC version (I'm assuming since it was (U)) and it ran at FPS 30, VI/s 60... but still ran super fast on vs with 3-4 players..

Edit: If it helps I think the races are going about 160% the speed they should.

Last edited by SuperNewb; 20th January 2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 20th January 2010, 06:34 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Try sending me a save state.

When you're in the part of multiplayer or what mode with the overclocked internal speed, if you press F5 on keyboard it writes a save state of your exact position in the game to the "Save" sub-folder of where you have Project64 installed.

Upload the pj.zip file named after mariokart somehow? Either by the forum attachments system here or some site like filesend.net works. Then I can download your save state and pick off exactly where you left off in the game and see if I get the problem, too.
Old 20th January 2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Try sending me a save state.

When you're in the part of multiplayer or what mode with the overclocked internal speed, if you press F5 on keyboard it writes a save state of your exact position in the game to the "Save" sub-folder of where you have Project64 installed.

Upload the pj.zip file named after mariokart somehow? Either by the forum attachments system here or some site like filesend.net works. Then I can download your save state and pick off exactly where you left off in the game and see if I get the problem, too.
Bit confused... I see the MarioKart.pj file in P64 when I go to load files but when I browse in windows there's a .mpk file in the save folder instead of a .pj file... does this make any sense?
Old 20th January 2010, 07:06 PM

Figured it out...

Should be here..
Attached Files
File Type: zip MarioKart.zip (1.14 MB, 103 views)

Last edited by SuperNewb; 20th January 2010 at 08:32 PM.