Old 24th December 2013, 04:58 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatCat View Post
lol, it's totally mixed
like, Mupen64[or /Plus] is the only emulator to get the OS internal FB stuff working with Kirby64, and the hacked Action Replay Pro ROM booting in the Interpreter,
1964 0.8.5 Interpreter is the only CPU to properly handle the internals of Indy Jones LLE and some stuff with WDC/SR64,
Nemu64 was written in part by the guy who almost certainly leaked a small part of undiscovered documentation to bpoint of Project Unreality, and probably MAME RDP dev team for all their reverse-engineering efforts in hacking their share of stuff out first,
Project64 is more independent. It used all the official MIPS docs where possible, while emulators based on Project Unreality have typos in some of the R4300i system control names according to the official dox. It also is needed for bypassing the lack of RSP/CPU cycle accuracy, among other unique things.

It's a shitfest of mixed swords, believe it or not. There just ain't a best emu.

--------

I haven't tried Mupen64Plus more than twice, so I don't really know anything about it.
Sometimes I check their site under Google and see topics ranting about the way they do things.

Hell, one time I saw on EmuTalk a thread about the broken video recording feature reported by Hacktarux. (It was working in Mupen64 0.5 but sort of just got removed as a "solution" not long into Mupen64Plus.) Probably the leading guy for the whole shebang to get initiated, okaygo, said NetPlay would come when ready, but, it's been years and no NetPlay. I'd say it's something of a stall fest.

Still, I'd really like to stick to an emulator on Linux, and I like that they got a social situation for development and whatnot, moreso than the closed emulators, although I think it attracts some fanatics who may overestimate this principle....
Holy hell, and I thought Snes emulators were a convoluted mess as far as what some do and don't do, etc, but sheesh, that's nucking futs. Do you think it will even be feasible for someone to make an N64 emulator that's even remotely close to being better than all the ones you mentioned combined? At this right, I doubt we'll see anything of that caliber.
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way
Old 24th December 2013, 05:04 AM

Probably Cen64 will be that emulator in the future, but as of right now, I am thinking Mupen64Plus is probably the overall most compatible one, simply by virtue of the fact that it is still under relatively active development (both in mainline and on the libretro fork). However, it is hard to say with the utmost certainty without Angrylion's plugin, although the fact that it almost plays Rogue Squadron at full speed and almost gets Indiana Jones working with z64gl says quite a bit, I think.
Old 24th December 2013, 05:22 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Yea... cycle-accurate a lot of work, lots of things to do.

AFAIK, Hacktarux has the stable implementation. MarathonMan is more interested in the major principle of knowing sooner than later, that the most accurate result will be capable of decent playing speeds, so he's done some good work with that. They both get plagued by occasional bugs that take so long to debug and figure out tho, if I gather right.

And there seems to maybe be some other folk who are invested in doing a cycle-accurate emulator, too. CEN64 is just the one to have its own forum now and everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendo1889 View Post
Holy hell, and I thought Snes emulators were a convoluted mess as far as what some do and don't do, etc, but sheesh, that's nucking futs. Do you think it will even be feasible for someone to make an N64 emulator that's even remotely close to being better than all the ones you mentioned combined? At this right, I doubt we'll see anything of that caliber.
And those were just SOME of the things.
I made my list quick, but it could go on.

Um, not if the best we have is people like pokefan and suanyuan, lol.
Too much of the desire to merge the strongpoints of different emulators into one can drive over the merit of one's independent work...that's the trick. We have to have our own passionate attitude, and that in turn creates an emulator with its own strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited by HatCat; 24th December 2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old 24th December 2013, 05:42 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
And there seems to maybe be some other folk who are invested in doing a cycle-accurate emulator, too. CEN64 is just the one to have its own forum now and everything.

Where has ye heard about these other cycle-accurate emulators?
Old 24th December 2013, 05:45 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Random threads popping up on EmuTalk, asking questions about the components of implementing cycle-accurate management.

They're all far back enough that I can't be arsed to search for them though. They might have probably just given up.

Tho I'm sure you can tell Hacktarux didn't.
Old 24th December 2013, 07:06 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Nothing personal, but I sincerely hope N64 emulation never gets to the point of requiring a high end quad core CPU to run full speed; to repeat another Bsnes scenario would be egregious IMHO. Nothing wrong with accuracy, but if it gets to the point of requiring very powerful hardware to run Super Mario 64 or Star Fox 64, then we have a potential issue; there has to be a line drawn somewhere.
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way
Old 24th December 2013, 07:28 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

That was a long time ago, before UltraHLE or Nemu64.

With HLE being so standard for N64 nowadays, how do you suggest is it even possible that N64 emulation should require a high-end CPU?

To be honest, I think UltraHLE was a waste of time, that could have been spent on LLE, to make a very slow emulator as accurate as possible, BUT, then optimize it later for speed after all the information was worked out perfectly FIRST.

N64 emulation is supposed to start out slow to obtain the difficult-to-find bits of information, and then get faster.
Instead, we're being forced to go into the reverse order. (And it's even somewhat of a voluntary tradeoff on the ethical design of CEN64's part by MM.)
Old 24th December 2013, 09:46 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Someone PM me who FatCat is, did you forget to take medicine or to see a doctor? You are sick person and now I know why.

Quote:
I have names such as "Iconoclast", "Icono", "Mr. Clast", "Clasty", "Mephostophilis", "Mammon", and some other names I have either used or not used.

I started out as a kid with arithmetic skills for, say, a Fifth Grader, Asperger's Disorder (good at Math, bad at English, social problems, all that fun stuff), and Attention Deficit Disorder. These disabilities are, as you can see, still in my nature. I take relatively long to answer questions and am slow with testing of almost all sorts.
AUDIO: Realtek HD Audio (on board)
RAM: 4 GB
Old 24th December 2013, 10:00 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Um, okay, so you know how to copy information that I willingly wrote about myself over the Internet.

I wrote what I was diagnosed with (although probably inaccurately because of some abnormal medical conditions I was brought up with when I was real young), some of my talents, some of my problems in school, normal stuff I guess.

And then you copy it all like it's some big secret.
Is that supposed to offend me?

Are you so butthurt about your failure that you can only try to stoop so low?
Old 25th December 2013, 11:13 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Um, okay, so you know how to copy information that I willingly wrote about myself over the Internet.

I wrote what I was diagnosed with (although probably inaccurately because of some abnormal medical conditions I was brought up with when I was real young), some of my talents, some of my problems in school, normal stuff I guess.
So, the information is correct, you are a disabled person with mental ill, that explains why you act like an animal or mad dog on this forum.
AUDIO: Realtek HD Audio (on board)
RAM: 4 GB