Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Issues

Old 20th June 2011, 09:14 PM
Project Supporter

Default Project 64 crashes when trying to select "Settings"

Basically what happens is the program opens fine, but if I attempt to open the Settings menu, the program instantly crashes. No warning is given, nor does the Action Center in Windows 7 reporting anything about it crashing. In fact nothing new is added, it sits blank.

However selecting the Video, Audio and Input settings works as intended, and does not crash Project 64 at all.

Some info that could be important:

1. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate with a x64 bit kernel.
2. I have confirmed that it is not simply the program gone corrupt, if I download version 1.7 from the beta downloads section, and put it into a completely new folder, the program still crashes if I try to view Project 64's settings.
3. Games still work, I just can't change the plugins at all.

The reason why I am trying to change settings is because the graphics plugin I am currently using is Glide64, which unless used with a Voodoo graphics card, does not work correctly in Windowed mode. If you try to, the plugin could become unstable enough to BSoD your computer (it happened to me once) so I wanted to change it back to another plugin, but since this is happening, I cannot do that. The reason why I was using Glide64 was because it fixed some N64 games issues, such as the flickering issue in Paper Mario and the Mario Party games.

Last edited by CodeBrain; 20th June 2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 20th June 2011, 09:45 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
The reason why I am trying to change settings is because the graphics plugin I am currently using is Glide64, which unless used with a Voodoo graphics card, does not work correctly in Windowed mode.
FALSE. Glide64 works just fine in windowed mode as long as you aren't using an ancient version.

Anyhow, ancient plugins or plugins not completely meeting the zilmar spec can crash 1.7

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 20th June 2011, 10:41 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

It doesn't happen as much with Project64, though stuff like the TR64 OpenGL plugin can crash Nemu64 just loading the plugins list. I don't think I even have such versions archived on-disk anymore if they would crash pj64, maybe nemu though.
Old 20th June 2011, 11:12 PM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall_leonhart View Post
FALSE. Glide64 works just fine in windowed mode as long as you aren't using an ancient version.
I was going by what the Glide64 site said:

Quote:
Note: You MUST be in fullscreen mode to see anything! Glide doesn't support windowed mode.

And

Glide64 only supports the following cards, or cards based on the following. It only supports 3dfx glide cards, hence the name Glide64:

* Voodoo Banshee
* Voodoo 1
* Voodoo 2
* Voodoo 3
* Voodoo 4
* Voodoo 5
However, it may be that it hasn't been updated in a long period of time so if it does I apologize.

Quote:
Anyhow, ancient plugins or plugins not completely meeting the zilmar spec can crash 1.7
What is this "zilmar spec"?

I said before that this happens on a clean downloaded version of Project 64 1.7, and because of that, it has no custom plugins, it's using the exact same ones it came with.

Sorry if I am sounding rude.
Old 20th June 2011, 11:48 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
I was going by what the Glide64 site said:
i don't see that written anywhere on the glide64 site at emuxhaven.

Quote:
I said before that this happens on a clean downloaded version of Project 64 1.7, and because of that, it has no custom plugins, it's using the exact same ones it came with.
then how is glide64 interfering with it?

Quote:
What is this "zilmar spec"?
http://www.pj64-emu.com/faqs/plugins...pecifications/

Quote:
The reason why I am trying to change settings is because the graphics plugin I am currently using is Glide64, which unless used with a Voodoo graphics card, does not work correctly in Windowed mode.
you have that backwards. the wrapper works fine with windowed mode, and should be fine on voodoo 4 or 5 with freshly built open source drivers

windowed mode was only ever a problem with passthrough voodoo cards which required a 2D graphics card to be connected connected to the voodoo card in a chain.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1

Last edited by squall_leonhart; 20th June 2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 21st June 2011, 12:24 AM
Project Supporter

Quote:
i don't see that written anywhere on the glide64 site at emuxhaven.
http://glide64.emuxhaven.net/faq.php

However there is not even a link to this on the links panel so this may be old, I just used Google to find the site.

Quote:
then how is glide64 interfering with it?
Glide64 caused a blue screen of death on one game, I don't want to use it. That's why I tried going to the settings menu to change it, but it crashes instead.

Another thing is that it ALWAYS launches to full screen, which I never play in because of scaling issues (1920x1200 res in my opinion does not suit non-texture modded games very well), and I don't see an option to play in windowed mode other than setting the resolution for it.
Old 21st June 2011, 03:44 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Well if you're not using either of those cards, then you're probably not using GLIDE--probably the GLIDE3X wrapper Glitch64 or originally Hacktarux's wrapper, in which case you're actually using OpenGL to simulate the functions of Glide64. In which case those notes don't apply.
Old 21st June 2011, 07:17 AM
Project Supporter

I was apparently wrong, I got that from an old FAQ the glide64 site had, its not even listed in the links section anymore.

I'm still having this issue though. No idea how to fix it.
Old 21st June 2011, 10:13 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Well hold on; I'm not sure if I misinterpreted something here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBrain View Post
Basically what happens is the program opens fine, but if I attempt to open the Settings menu, the program instantly crashes.

[...]

The reason why I am trying to change settings is because the graphics plugin I am currently using is Glide64,
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBrain View Post
Because that sounds like a contradiction.

Glide64 isn't a part of the Project64 package, so the only way you could have tried to use Glide64 and having set it to use in the emulator (which as you said you are using) is by using the plugin change dialogue. Which is part of the settings dialogue, which you are saying here it crashes every time you try to access it. And that it happens with a fresh, clean install of Project64, which can't have Glide64 included unless you get it from somewhere else.

So that's where I'm confused?
Old 21st June 2011, 10:22 PM
Project Supporter

I said this in a previous post but it was in moderation queue for some reason, so I will say it again:

Glide64 caused a blue screen of death. I dont want to use it anymore. That's why I tried going to the settings menu only to find that it's crashes Project64 instead.