Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 3rd August 2016, 07:36 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Default PJ64 on Windows 10 compatibility list?

Can someone or help by organizing which particular Windows 10 computers can run PJ64 and which ones can't run it then ones that BSOD regardless if they can run it or not?

The list would be simple as this.

Working:
Name | Processors | Notes
Name | Processors | Notes

Not Working/Crashing:
"same template"

Causes BSODs Working/Non-working:
"same template"

This would help for anyone looking to get a new computer that happens to have Windows 10,but one that doesn't suck horrendously from it not being able to run PJ64.
So if a pattern happens in listing them,you will know what to precisely avoid,like certain brands,CPU/GPU chipsets,or even motherboards and storage brands/types.

I may have a slight chance of getting a laptop finally,so I need it to be a good one that can run PJ64 so I can continue my Gameshark code hunts with much more frequent and longer time slots than I am currently barred in,so no more missing weekend days or hours of downtime on weekdays.

Maybe to keep this thread cleaner,I can accept some PMs of computer names and specs to edit into the list myself for everyone kind enough to send all of the computer info (as the template shows) and notes of how it reacts to PJ64.
(I say computer to detract from having to say Laptop and Desktop several times.)

Last edited by retroben; 5th August 2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old 4th August 2016, 07:25 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Or you know, just update...

Edit: Here are specs anyways

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/kBVvnn

Last edited by ExtremeDude2; 4th August 2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 5th August 2016, 06:37 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Darn,I named it wrong,I mean for PJ64 to run on Windows 10 without causing crashes and the like,please read the whole post.
Some sites allow changing thread names,where the hell do I find that on here?!?

Last edited by retroben; 5th August 2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 5th August 2016, 06:41 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I don't think you named the post wrong. It's just an inept reply.

I can't help because I'm on Windows 8.1, and have no plans to ever move to 10. I'd go to linux before moving to an OS built upon spyware.
Old 5th August 2016, 06:45 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

PJ64 doesn't BSOD on windows 10...(if it does it is a problem with your computer, i.e. you didn't update pj64/win10).
Old 5th August 2016, 07:05 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

It varies between different computers with Windows 10,some may work,and many will either crash or POSSIBLY have a random BSoD like a few people have claimed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeDude2 View Post
rip, pj64 doesn't run on my new PC
The "new PCs" are likely all forcibly on Windows 10 for the most part,unless you found some swag leftover somewhere that has Windows 7 on it with modernly powerful hardware for things like OpenGL 3x-4.5,SSSE3,Vulkan,and perhaps more.

Not only do I find Windows 8 atrocious for its UI flop,but its also no longer supported,meaning you can be screwed if any OS-related issue happens with no fixes ever coming unless they are done by the devs for the program that has said issues.
Old 5th August 2016, 09:10 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroben View Post
Not only do I find Windows 8 atrocious for its UI flop,but its also no longer supported,meaning you can be screwed if any OS-related issue happens with no fixes ever coming unless they are done by the devs for the program that has said issues.
Windows 8 users have until January 9, 2018 to update to 8.1, to continue to receive extended support until January 10, 2023.
Old 6th August 2016, 05:30 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I must have read some mis-information,still disgusted by the UI changes,especially ones that make you have to completely change screens in order to access certain menus.
Just think how Ctrl+Alt+Delete brings up a different screen entirely in Windows 7,this can take a long time for trying to reach the task manager when your PC is lagging from a program freaking out that you are trying to end the task of,many people don't know about right-clicking on the clock to quickly get to it without changing screens.

There's no stopping Microsoft from sending updates with the spying bullsh!% if you update at all whether manual,auto,forced Win10 auto,or modded Win10 manual (they could always slip it in any random update) because they also released a Windows 7 update for analytics/telemetry that matches what Windows 10 has in it,more than likely also released for 8 and 8.1 too.

You can uninstall that specific update off of Windows 7 but I dunno about 8/8.1 though.
Thanks for reading this if you went to all the trouble.
Old 7th August 2016, 12:06 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroben View Post
It varies between different computers with Windows 10,some may work,and many will either crash or POSSIBLY have a random BSoD like a few people have claimed.

The "new PCs" are likely all forcibly on Windows 10 for the most part,unless you found some swag leftover somewhere that has Windows 7 on it with modernly powerful hardware for things like OpenGL 3x-4.5,SSSE3,Vulkan,and perhaps more.

It's called self built.
Old 7th August 2016, 04:52 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Something REALLY ironically funny,I found a leftover Windows 7 swagtop at Wal-Mart for a mere $192 dollahs,and have it now!
Not all that powerful at 1.40Ghz Celeron dual core,and only Intel(R) HD graphics alone instead of with another GPU,but it renders correctly unlike some chipsets out there then it got a little faster after I updated the graphics drivers and it can handle up to OpenGL 4.3 and D3D11 as well along with 4GB of RAM instead of the standard 2GB.

Too bad the low clock speed makes it almost as slow as the single core PC I have to wait to use every time even though it can run Ishiiruka with any of the 3 backends.