Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Then get started :3
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:18 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Suggestions
Old 26th August 2013, 07:23 AM

Post Animal Forest - Doubutsu no Mori (N64's Animal Crossing)

what about trying to figure out how to make the save feature of Animal Forest (the relatively obscure predecessor of GC's Animal Crossing) work properly? I found this game by sheer luck some months ago and it has the odd issue of being unable to save any progress made on it. seems like it's because of an internal clock feature that is exclusive to this game, so it could be played in real-time on the N64. just to give you guys an idea, the ROM is able to track the time of the PC clock when running on PJ64 for the first time, and therefore it should be able to, when unloaded and then loaded again, do the same process of time-tracking in order to continue the game normally. however this is yet to be a reality on the emulator, and what happens is that the game is without any saved files after being unloaded, and also the game's clock crashes and is resetted each time the game is loaded again on PJ64. and as it seems like no one had the guts to talk about all of this yet [or maybe it's just because almost nobody outside of Japan is aware of this game's existence], I thought I should report this here. and I hope that the PJ64 devs will someday read this and try and fix this problem.

here's a YouTube video showing a bit of playthrough on a english-patched ROM so you can have a clearer idea of all I've told above. also, look forward to a link at the video's description heading to a place to download that ROM. so you can play it by yourself and see what happens to you: [youtube.com/watch?v=Ik0FPv6_Y5U]

cheers!

Last edited by Victor Legend; 26th August 2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 26th August 2013, 07:44 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatCat View Post
Well, that was a rather asshole-ish thing for me to say.
Why did I act like an asshole and post that?

...wait, nvm, I remember now
Because he lazily titled this thread "Suggestions", so I felt like posting that. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Legend View Post
seems like it's because of an internal clock feature that is exclusive to this game, so it could be played in real-time on the N64. just to give you guys an idea, the ROM is able to track the time of the PC clock when running on PJ64 for the first time, and therefore it should be able to, when unloaded and then loaded again, do the same process of time-tracking in order to continue the game normally. however this is yet to be a reality on the emulator, and what happens is that the game is without any saved files after being unloaded, and also the game's clock crashes and is resetted each time the game is loaded again on PJ64.
Sounds really interesting.

I think somebody on EmuTalk posted about the clock stuff, but I didn't really look at it.

If it doesn't have anything to do with the RSP's DPC_CLOCK_REG though (shared by the RDP), I guess I am not that interested in researching it as far as programmatic support fixes go.
Doc keeps contradicting itself across tens of files, whether or not DPC_CLOCK_REG is read-only or can be written by CP0 MT or not.
Old 26th August 2013, 09:30 AM

as far as I remember, there is a N64 emulator for Android, called N64oid or something, which is already able to do the time-tracking thing by looking at the date and time of the phone it's installed on. Animal Forest can be played on it without any problems regarding data saving and stuff. maybe the PJ64 devs could get some help from this?
Old 26th August 2013, 10:34 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Legend View Post
as far as I remember, there is a N64 emulator for Android, called N64oid or something, which is already able to do the time-tracking thing by looking at the date and time of the phone it's installed on. Animal Forest can be played on it without any problems regarding data saving and stuff. maybe the PJ64 devs could get some help from this?
Project64 already handles the real time clock. So i doubt that has anything to do with the issue your having.
Old 26th August 2013, 10:42 AM

try playing the game I mentioned above and see what happens when you e.g. reset the game after saving your data, pal. then you will understand what I've told, I hope.
Old 26th August 2013, 08:27 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Yer, I think zilmar discovered the clock before anyone else or something like that
Old 26th August 2013, 09:21 PM

then the only thing that needs to be fixed on Animal Forest is the data saving issue, because, let me make it clear: the damn game is unable to save the damn data in any damn way. but why does this happen is still unknown and seems like no one yet tried to research this. and man, that game is absolutely awesome. for me and other people whose computers aren't powerful enough to run the GC port of it, it would be wonderful if someone was able to fix those issues so we could play it on PJ64. seriously. that's all. cheers