Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 24th October 2014, 01:38 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboy181 View Post
Are you able to elaborate on this?
Should I elaborate on it?
Because it sounds like what I've said so far has already been taken out of context.

For example...

Quote:
I am unsure why you have said that PRGMaser has me testing bugs.
I never said that RPGMaster has you testing bugs. I said *if* you're testing in the form of bug-digging because of the advice he was giving earlier, then he was generalizing. Bug-digging can be a useful approach at testing, but not when there aren't any bugs, as in the case of angrylion's plugin.

Quote:
What type of accuracy testing measures do you mean?
I never said "accuracy testing measures". I said "accurate advice for testing". How do you manage to misread that?

Quote:
I'm confused. After reading some of your earlier posts I was certain you said that we can test the way we want to.
Where did I say anything about what you're "not" allowed to do?

CAN we point out the RGB value of a single pixel on the screen? Yes.
Can we post about it in this thread and feel sad that HatCat doesn't see it as useful information? Yes.
Does it mean I'm saying nobody is allowed to do it? No.

Quote:
There have been many great ideas coming from this scene, and from the look of it some of it gets included directly into your code.
You give me too much credit.
If you like projects revolving around others' ideas all being stolen into someone else's code, I recommend switching back to Shunyuan's.

Anyway, if it wasn't evident, I'm working on the RSP again now. I don't see why put so much effort into testing something that's gradually getting *off* my mind, so that I could concentrate on something else.
Old 24th October 2014, 03:02 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
You don't think I tried to use the "Direct Link" feature to view the direct PNG file off the server? You think when I said they're blurred and shrunken down, that I was just going merely by the thumbnail without following the link Photobucket gave him?

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3b0b0928.png
Do you call that "full res"?

How about this:
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/...ps42ef9df1.png

Do ANY of those honestly look full-res to you?
Uh... yes?

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/...1.png~original

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/...8.png~original

Last edited by oddMLan; 24th October 2014 at 03:19 AM. Reason: HatCat poor 1024-wide monitor :p
Old 24th October 2014, 03:16 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

okie, then the next time a simple link will do it.

I have a Photobucket account too, have had it since 2006. You know how I get a direct link to an image? Either right-click view image, or copy what's in the "Direct Link" field. The magnifying glass image didn't take me to what I was looking for when I tried it, but if it works for you guys then I guess Photobucket's Google-ism philosophy of constant change actually serves someone.

Still, rather than expecting everyone to know how to go through their corporate web interface and doubling the thread scroll width on my poor 1024-wide monitor, a simple link to the native image would have served just fine. Thanks for the links; now I can see them clearly.
Old 24th October 2014, 03:23 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
okie, then the next time a simple link will do it.

I have a Photobucket account too, have had it since 2006. You know how I get a direct link to an image? Either right-click view image, or copy what's in the "Direct Link" field. The magnifying glass image didn't take me to what I was looking for when I tried it, but if it works for you guys then I guess Photobucket's Google-ism philosophy of constant change actually serves someone.

Still, rather than expecting everyone to know how to go through their corporate web interface and doubling the thread scroll width on my poor 1024-wide monitor, a simple link to the native image would have served just fine. Thanks for the links; now I can see them clearly.
Oops. Sorry

Oh, and I agree the web UI design is a mess; fwiw, the "direct link" field is actually a shrunken down version of the image; if you REALLY want the original, untainted, full-res image, you have to click on the magnifying glass icon, then right click the image > "View Image".
Old 24th October 2014, 03:30 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Man. Is there some manual Photobucket staff require their users to know about these days?

When I made my account in 2006 it was easy.

Now to upload ass.jpg, I have to go through 2 images at a time: ass.jpg and ass_original.jpg. Why upload BOTH images if it's to save bandwidth?

Bah, oh well. At least somebody guessed it. And sorry then for the complaints about the shrunkenness theboy181, dunno if you knew about the magnifying glass solution but apparently there was a way to see the whole image.

As for whether those are indeed bugs in the plugin, I personally have my doubts but, I recommend always turning off VI filters ("Bypass DAC Filters") when analyzing RDP/RSP bugs. Or, that effect occurs with Shunyuan's plugin which you're also using so see if that also had the bug. And pressing F3 with 1 PNG per screenshot sounds nice.
Old 24th October 2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Now to upload ass.jpg, I have to go through 2 images at a time: ass.jpg and ass_original.jpg. Why upload BOTH images if it's to save bandwidth?
If, say, 90% of people view the resized version they'll save bandwidth in the long term.
Old 24th October 2014, 03:49 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Well that's your personal take on it, but in this case gambling on common human stupidity costs extra space as well.
Every image that's big has to be stored twice.

And, viewed more than twice, in cases like these where you have people uploading 6 screenshots per PNG, not 1 screenshot per PNG.
Old 28th October 2014, 06:51 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Question

Hmm very interesting thread and a lot of optimization in the plugin. I see it is really faster than Angrylion original plugin.

Got a short question and may be someone could help.

all HLE (without hacks) and Z64 LLE plugin has an issue with the textures in WCW Nitro game. This plugin is the only that is fixing the issue.

The loading of the texture seems to use wrong parameters. I tried to read the n64 docs to solve the story but no luck

Anyone would have an idea on what is the root of the issue in other plugins?
Old 28th October 2014, 04:36 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

There was some optimization and performance gain over other forks of angrylion plugin, but those included techniques I experimented with in a former branch of this plugin and have not yet merged. So what I've done to optimize this branch is limited to just some of what I know can be done for now, but right now the RSP is much more important of a bottleneck. So I won't be back to thinking about this plugin for some weeks. Really trying to get some of this discussion moved to more active emulation forum when I have a release to put out, but no matter how much I want to stop posting on this forum I never want to be incomplete with my releases.

Sorry though. I don't have any absolute certainty about your WCW Nitro observations. Yes there is some documentation about texture loading parameters, and this is almost invariably what all the LLE authors were using before angrylion's plugin came along (with MAME and other resources to learn from). Some other game...Harvest Moon 64 I think? That had missing shadow/broken effects with characters on every HLE/LLE video plugin I tried except for this plugin and I *think* some version of z64gl IIRC? Anyway some of these texture loading/pipelining commands are awfully complex and had to be guessed the hell out of historically, so it's unfortunately not surprising if there may be some things that only angrylion's plugin gets right.
Old 28th October 2014, 05:21 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

reporting a bug on goldeneye menu screen

text on right edge is missing