Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v1.6

Old 15th August 2011, 10:13 PM

Default rom size question

Well so far the few roms i've picked up have all been around 25-27MB packed and 32mb unpacked. When i picked up Super Mario 64 today, i noticed that its only 8MB unpacked. Did i get a bad rom, or is it really supposed to be so incredibly small?
Old 15th August 2011, 10:48 PM

Yes, Super Mario 64 is a big game confined to 8MB of ROM size.... They should have spent the rest of the cart's memory to get more better, though.
Old 15th August 2011, 11:57 PM

okay rather then create another topic(seems how its about the same game) i'll just post this here.....Is the first course of the game really supposed to look like this ? It looks to me, like not quite everything is showing up or something, i've been running into a lot of invisible walls and what seems like hills or something.

I'm using Project64 V1.6, 2GB of RAM, pentium 4 processor with hyperthreading, and my graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX with 512MB of memory. I'm currently using Jabo's direct3D8 1.6 graphics plugin.
Old 16th August 2011, 12:23 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

That might just be a bad ROM actually lol, no idea where you could have possibly found something like that though (no telling since linking or directly stating how or where to get ROMs isn't allowed on the forum).

Well have you tried rolling back to the Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5.2 older plugin version to test that game?

And yes it's supposed to be 8 MB. There are smaller than that actually; 8 MB isn't really that uncommon.
Old 16th August 2011, 12:26 AM

there was no problems at all when i first started out. Wandering around outside and inside the castle everything looks great, no problems at all.(and still none if i exit the course) Just when i jump into the painting to the first course, is when things get kinda weird like that.
Old 16th August 2011, 12:30 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Don't see how it could manage that without it being a bad ROM then XD, but I'd still like to know if the rollback to the older plugin would happen to fix it.
Old 16th August 2011, 12:40 AM

nope switching to 1.5.2 did nothing at all. However switching to Mudlords Rice Video Build 6.1.4 fixed the problem completly, everything is now showing up properly. I'll post again if i run into more problems, but lets hope that doesn't happen The only thing really left now, is to figure out how to save the game haha.

Last edited by rmcin329; 16th August 2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 16th August 2011, 12:47 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

what the hell lol, well glad you found a solution then honestly never ran into anything quite like that screen for Mario, the alpha blending was never imbalanced like that either it's like some stupid setting turned its self on?

You save the game when it asks you. The game offers you a chance to save when you get a star, bust a cap switch, possibly other things that I don't remember offhand.
Old 16th August 2011, 12:52 AM

alpha blending? not a clue what that is. I do remember(had this emulator sitting around for quite awhile) fiddling with a setting or 2 somewhere on both plugins, maybe thats the problem.

Last edited by rmcin329; 16th August 2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 16th August 2011, 12:54 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Yeah probably. Usually not much reason to tweak with those since Jabo decided not to remember the settings for some fairly decent reason.

Blending of alpha transparency is where you see some texturing and coloring is solid while this solidity fades out to some other part of the object where you can see through it completely to the background.