Old 26th March 2014, 11:26 PM
Project Supporter

Ah I see, let me repost without the link.

------

I don't mind the slowness.

I actually already played pretty much every good game back in the day, so I don't really use emulation to "enjoy" the games, I just use them to take screenshots of the whole game. Check out my site (it's pretty old, but still popular) VGMuseum (dot com) where you can see my work (and the work of others too).

If you have a pixel perfect plugin that outputs the correct res, that would be awesome. I mean, if you are able to give it out, that is.

By the way, those images you posted above, they look just like the ones the Softgraphics plugin makes. When you said you could "fix" the resolution, where you talking about that pixel-accurate plugin with the ugly 1024x768 res or were you talking about Softgraphics' res of 320x237?

Last edited by ReyVGM; 26th March 2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 26th March 2014, 11:52 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

soft does 320x240 didn't it? At least that's what I Thoguht from your screenshtos.

Maybe you should take a screen of how it looks in Shunyuan's dll, and see why it's different from one of those 4 screens I showed you. There is more than one VI filter in question here...

Don't forget that anti-aliasing is one of such filters
Old 27th March 2014, 12:01 AM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
soft does 320x240 didn't it? At least that's what I Thoguht from your screenshtos.
Soft has the screen res at 320x240 (but it has the repeated pixel lines). If you use the plugin's native screenshot option, the screenshot comes out as 320x238.

Quote:
Maybe you should take a screen of how it looks in Shunyuan's dll, and see why it's different from one of those 4 screens I showed you. There is more than one VI filter in question here...
By Shunyuan's dll I assume you mean the Soft plugin.
Ok here's a MK64 screen.

Actual emulator screen (320x240):

Native screenshot (320x238):

As you can see, it looks pretty much like the one you posted above. Is there a way to make angrylion's plugin to output the correct res? OR, is there a way to make Shunyuan's Softgraphic plugin output the correct blurriness (antialiasing, etc)?

You said angrylion's plugin is pixel-accurate. That's what I'm looking for. But damn that resolution!

Last edited by ReyVGM; 27th March 2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old 27th March 2014, 12:04 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Er sorry that was a bad example.
That screen has no 3-D in it so you don't see VI filter stuff with that.

Try something with 3-D, like

pretty sure what you get with the dll in this thread, won't be the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyVGM View Post
If you use the plugin's native screenshot option, the screenshot comes out as 320x238.
Ah I see that explains it. But it should be 320x237. If it does 320x238 he still has a duplicate pixel line somewhere; probably a basic for/while/do loop termination issue on his end.
Old 27th March 2014, 12:07 AM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Er sorry that was a bad example.
That screen has no 3-D in it so you don't see VI filter stuff with that.

Try something with 3-D, like

pretty sure what you get with the dll in this thread, won't be the same
Ok, yes, now I see a difference.

Quote:
Ah I see that explains it. But it should be 320x237. If it does 320x238 he still has a duplicate pixel line somewhere; probably a basic for/while/do loop termination issue on his end.
Is there a way to make angrylion's plugin to output the correct res? OR, is there a way to make Shunyuan's Softgraphic plugin output the correct blurriness (antialiasing, etc) like that angrylion plugin you showed before?

You said angrylion's plugin is pixel-accurate. That's what I'm looking for. But damn that huge resolution!
Old 27th March 2014, 12:11 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

yes yes, I got what you wrote earlier,

Quote:
Is there a way to make angrylion's plugin to output the correct res?
As I said there is no way to do without compiling source code yourself. All I can offer is to build his latest source to release here.

Quote:
OR, is there a way to make Shunyuan's Softgraphic plugin output the correct blurriness (antialiasing, etc) like that angrylion plugin you showed before?
No. The whole reason this thread even exists is to hack out the correct VI filters (such as anti-aliasing) for relatively decent speed. If you wish to sacrifice speed for accuracy, this is not the correct plugin to use, and no configuration can change that.

Quote:
You said angrylion's plugin is pixel-accurate. That's what I'm looking for. But damn that huge resolution!
Only like, one, no more than two, lines of C code need to be changed, to change the resolution it outputs at when compiling it...so I guess custom builds would be easily enough managed.
Old 27th March 2014, 12:40 AM

Interestingly, version 1.3 of this plugin actually DOES have the pixel-accurate VI filter as a toggleable option. Only issue is, it doesn't work at 320x240 with the filter enabled. It just shows a black screen for whatever reason.
Old 27th March 2014, 02:08 AM
Project Supporter

Quote:
As I said there is no way to do without compiling source code yourself. All I can offer is to build his latest source to release here.
That would actually be perfect, thanks for offering to help! I don't care about the speed, all I want is to have an accurate visual representation of the console

Quote:
No. The whole reason this thread even exists is to hack out the correct VI filters (such as anti-aliasing) for relatively decent speed. If you wish to sacrifice speed for accuracy, this is not the correct plugin to use, and no configuration can change that.
So where did that Mario 64 title screen came from? It looked different from the one I saw using Soft, but it wasn't "blurry" enough to come from that angrylion's plugin.
Old 27th March 2014, 02:24 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
That would actually be perfect, thanks for offering to help! I don't care about the speed, all I want is to have an accurate visual representation of the console
Well then I guess I'll look into organizing some builds when I find time tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.

Ideally I should include a 640x480 version, a SDL version I used to work on straight off of MAME, maybe some more DLLs if I can't figure out a clean config UI to change resolution from 640x480 to smaller sizes.

Quote:
So where did that Mario 64 title screen came from? It looked different from the one I saw using Soft, but it wasn't "blurry" enough to come from that angrylion's plugin.
Remember that angrylion's plugin does all the filters, including upscaling interpolation.

Since my screenshot was at a native 320x240 (maybe 237) size, the visible application of VI interpolation isn't quite as noticeable. Now, when rendering the screen at 640x480, then you're practically DOUBLING the size of all of the individual pixels, and using much more noticeable VI interpolation to cover up for what was a much more jagged, aliased display.

Since angrylion's plugin wouldn't let you shrink it to 320x240 or so, you wouldn't have had the chance to make a fair comparison anyway.
Old 27th March 2014, 02:56 AM
Project Supporter

Got it. Thanks for the help! That's actually perfect because I don't want the screens to look too blurry. And since I'll be using them on the 320x240 res, then all is good.

Another thing, do you know why that angrylion plugin doesn't let me hear any sound? And do I have to use the z64 RSP plugin in tandem? (angrylion's plugin doesn't work with any other RSP for me.)