#811  
Old 10th September 2016, 06:55 PM
Frank74's Avatar
Frank74 Frank74 is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
The main issue seems to be games that appear to be running at a higher framerate than what the console would run the game at.
Don't know why there isn't a 93.75 MHz CPU cap/limit.

ZX Spectrum emulators have speed limit set to the z80 speed of 3.5 MHz. But the z80 emulation also calculates the t-states of every instruction processed by the cpu.
Reply With Quote
  #812  
Old 10th September 2016, 08:06 PM
RPGMaster's Avatar
RPGMaster RPGMaster is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank74 View Post
Don't know why there isn't a 93.75 MHz CPU cap/limit.

ZX Spectrum emulators have speed limit set to the z80 speed of 3.5 MHz. But the z80 emulation also calculates the t-states of every instruction processed by the cpu.
For cpu, i imagine it is capped at the right limit, however the current cycle counting method is far from accurate.

Another problem is the fact that the RSP and RDP are currently not capped at all, on emulators. They pretty much always finishes the entire display list, while the N64 doesn't always finish it. Now PJ64's RSP does have a yielding implementation (which is now only enabled per game instead of always enabled), but it's not cycle accurate.

Basically the timing implementation for RSP, RDP, and cpu all need to improve in order to run games at the correct speed.
Reply With Quote
  #813  
Old 10th September 2016, 08:51 PM
theboy181's Avatar
theboy181 theboy181 is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Prince Rupert,British Columbia Canada
Posts: 424
Thumbs up

Always have I been
interested in timing improvements, but this
opens a can of worms, though.
For an emulator to
appeal to me, the
games have to feel polished and enhanced.

For an N64 emulator,
or plugin to shine the framerate has to
remain solid 30/60 FPS.

Perhaps others believe that accuracy should
retain the crappy framerates of the actual HW that's being
emulated, but then I would have to ask why "would
someone want to play on the PC then?"
If this were the case, I
don't think that anyone would
ever spend time coding an emulator.
Nowadays emulation has been about enhancements.
This to me is the most important feature.
__________________
Book recommendation!
https://www.amazon.com/All-Cats-Have.../dp/1843104814
Reply With Quote
  #814  
Old 19th September 2016, 11:46 PM
gamerk2 gamerk2 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboy181 View Post
Always have I been
interested in timing improvements, but this
opens a can of worms, though.
For an emulator to
appeal to me, the
games have to feel polished and enhanced.

For an N64 emulator,
or plugin to shine the framerate has to
remain solid 30/60 FPS.

Perhaps others believe that accuracy should
retain the crappy framerates of the actual HW that's being
emulated, but then I would have to ask why "would
someone want to play on the PC then?"
If this were the case, I
don't think that anyone would
ever spend time coding an emulator.
Nowadays emulation has been about enhancements.
This to me is the most important feature.
Which is well and good, until the game you want to play [Body Harvest] runs on exactly ONE plugin because of said accuracy. Make the games work correctly first, then worry about enhancements.
Reply With Quote
  #815  
Old 20th September 2016, 12:04 AM
RPGMaster's Avatar
RPGMaster RPGMaster is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,029
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerk2 View Post
Which is well and good, until the game you want to play [Body Harvest] runs on exactly ONE plugin because of said accuracy. Make the games work correctly first, then worry about enhancements.
Unfortunately, most people don't seem to appreciate Angrylion's plugin. Some act like it doesn't even exist
Reply With Quote
  #816  
Old 20th September 2016, 05:38 PM
HatCat's Avatar
HatCat HatCat is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In my hat.
Posts: 16,256
Default

Well, of course it doesn't exist. Where have you been?

It doesn't give pre-compiled DLL release downloads with "multi-threading", or at least an x86 dynarec.
Reply With Quote
  #817  
Old 21st September 2016, 10:34 PM
fallaha56 fallaha56 is offline
Project Supporter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
Well, of course it doesn't exist. Where have you been?

It doesn't give pre-compiled DLL release downloads with "multi-threading", or at least an x86 dynarec.
yes! which is why eventually people get bored and go and use/support other emus

i'm glad you're finally beginning to understand things in this thread, shame it isn't in multi-threads, gettit?
Reply With Quote
  #818  
Old 21st September 2016, 10:35 PM
fallaha56 fallaha56 is offline
Project Supporter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
Well, of course it doesn't exist. Where have you been?

It doesn't give pre-compiled DLL release downloads with "multi-threading", or at least an x86 dynarec.
and some more updates here:

http://www.libretro.com/index.php/pa...eptember-2016/
Reply With Quote
  #819  
Old 21st September 2016, 10:42 PM
fallaha56 fallaha56 is offline
Project Supporter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34
Smile speedups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
This, plus the fact that LLE still has high system requirements. Some games still aren't full speed like vigilante 8. HLE is the only currently viable way to play it. Of course the accuracy is quite lacking in HLE currently, but that can be improved. I think it's easier to get decent accuracy with HLE, than decent performance with LLE.

Knowing that I have to buy a card, really killed my interest in that API. I do hope to some day get a card in the near future, but I'll need to save up and also find a good deal. I'm most likely going to get the 1060 if I am fortunate enough, but if the rx 480's price massively drops or something, then I might get that instead.

I think an optimized x64 build is good enough. Multithreading isn't necessary, once the code is actually close to being optimal. The main issue seems to be games that appear to be running at a higher framerate than what the console would run the game at.
no easy to post links but it seems that paraLLEl is having some success with a recompiler
Reply With Quote
  #820  
Old 26th September 2016, 02:27 PM
the_randomizer's Avatar
the_randomizer the_randomizer is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
Well, of course it doesn't exist. Where have you been?

It doesn't give pre-compiled DLL release downloads with "multi-threading", or at least an x86 dynarec.
Well then it's pretty much unusable on Core i5 CPUs ;O;
__________________
My rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 4470 3.4 GHz to 3.9 GHz
Video card:: MSI nVidia GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.