Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Issues

Old 10th June 2014, 09:42 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

The R4300i hits up to 40% when you are doing a lot of stuff,causing changes,or when areas are loading.

I had 20-27% of R4300i when just standing there.

I already mentioned my GFX card.
"I have an Nvidia Geforce 6150SE nForce 430 card that can only be clocked up to 555MHz,and I have it set to a solid 500MHz."
I have AMD Sempron(tm) Proccessor LE-1300.
And I only have a Single-Core.

Will get results for Jabo ASAIPC.

Edit:Results for 1.5.2 of Jabo and no self rendering.

It peaked at 83% and with a sluggish 31VI.

Jabo 1.6.1 has the slowest performance with a staggering 87% peak and only 24VI.
It does have perfect graphics when compared to other plugins.

All DX plugins had a 50-60% usage on average from Jinjo Village,while Mudlord Rice 6.1.4 in OpenGL had only 20-40%.

Last edited by retroben; 10th June 2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10th June 2014, 09:51 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroben View Post
The R4300i hits up to 40% when you are doing a lot of stuff,causing changes,or when areas are loading.

I had 20-27% of R4300i when just standing there.

I already mentioned my GFX card.
"I have an Nvidia Geforce 6150SE nForce 430 card that can only be clocked up to 555MHz,and I have it set to a solid 500MHz."
I have AMD Sempron(tm) Proccessor LE-1300.
And I only have a Single-Core.

Will get results for Jabo ASAIPC.
I googled your processor and it said 2.3ghz. That is definitely enough for an N64 emulator, especially since you have a gfx card. Single core isn't bad as long as you aren't running too many things.

I suspect you may be using cpu intensive settings, but perhaps it's needed for Banjo tooie. You mind sending me a save state at the part you're at? I haven't really played the game much, and I'd like to see how it performs on my computer. I'm guessing you're using Fruit edition, correct?

If performance is super important to you, I suggest you use HLE audio. It's really helpful on low end machines.
Old 10th June 2014, 10:00 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Yes I am using the Fruity sunovabidch.
What plugin should I use when making the savestate?
If you already have a save,copy it into another folder if you want to keep it.
Old 10th June 2014, 10:07 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroben View Post
Yes I am using the Fruity sunovabidch.
What plugin should I use when making the savestate?
If you already have a save,copy it into another folder if you want to keep it.
Uh i guess jabo 1.6.1.

So far, I'm thinking Rice's OpenGL's performance strongly depends on the game. I remember when i paused the game in SSB64, OpenGL was faster. But when i unpaused in Yoshi level in story mode, OpenGL became super slow.

Another funny thing is Rice's Beta & 1964 video cause SSB64's intro to desync in project64! But only when i used Direct X. openGL didn't desync, but the graphics were messed up. Another strange thing is that this desync doesn't happen on other emulators. It makes me wonder if PJ64 should be fixed, or if the plugin is broken and just happens to work normal on other emulators.
Old 10th June 2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
Uh i guess jabo 1.6.1.

So far, I'm thinking Rice's OpenGL's performance strongly depends on the game. I remember when i paused the game in SSB64, OpenGL was faster. But when i unpaused in Yoshi level in story mode, OpenGL became super slow.

Another funny thing is Rice's Beta & 1964 video cause SSB64's intro to desync in project64! But only when i used Direct X. openGL didn't desync, but the graphics were messed up. Another strange thing is that this desync doesn't happen on other emulators. It makes me wonder if PJ64 should be fixed, or if the plugin is broken and just happens to work normal on other emulators.

I vote the latter...I have had nothing but trouble with Rice Video in PJ64...and most other plugins utilizing GL and D3D alike that were modeled after Rice, or used any of the Rice Video code (save for Glide64's texture enhancement), as they always crashed PJ64 1.6 onward when changing from windowed, to full screen, and back. Jabo's D3D is fine for efficiency, but I still prefer PJ64 2.1's Glide 2.0.0.1 over everything else as it fixes a large majority of the rendering issues Jabo's had...This includes Blast Corps., DK64, MarioKart64 (I turn on the "Read Every Frame" option in the Emulation Settings Tab for MarioKart64 to have the Jumbotron in Luigi's Raceway to work like it did on an actual n64), and especially any resolution above 800x600 for StarFox64 and PilotWings64.

~Groucho Marx
Old 10th June 2014, 10:47 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

The instant save was being a dick until I saved with F5 on Slot1 which gave me the name I entered when trying to use the "Save As..." function in Fruit Edition.
It will have 20.0MB from the 1MB zip file I put it in.

I have it set to 20MB RDRAM for an unexplainably smoother performance.

To get the best results,make sure your settings in Fruit Edition match mine.

(Config "game name")

Memory Size:20MB

Counter Factor:1

VI Refresh Rate:2200

AI Count Per Byte:625

No boxes checked.

(Recompiler)

All boxes checked in exception to:TLB Unmapping,and Protect Memory.

Remember,you can get Fruit Edition at SMWCentral.
It is on thread 63820.
Just Google "PJ64 Fruit Edition" to easily find it.

Edit:No Frameskip is enabled at the position I saved.
It will show you how your PC performs compared to what I have.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dumb.zip (1.29 MB, 1 views)
Old 11th June 2014, 12:57 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Lol sorry, been preoccupied. I'm trying to fix up 1964 and 1964 video.

Edit: Lol I guess banjo tooie is more resource intensive than I thought. I'd like to see how well it runs in 1964 though. If only I could port savestates from 1 emulator to another.

Ok I'm going to just go by what I see at that exact spot in your save state. Jabo 1.52 gives me ~43-47 VI/s, 1.7 gave me ~27VI/s, Mudlord's Rice Direct X gave me ~39, OpenGL gave me ~44-46, Rice 6.1.1 beta Direct X gave me ~49-50, 1964 Video Community Version DX8 gave me ~53, 1964 Video Community Version DX9 gave me 60VI/s.

DX9 is bugged though, even though it's the fastest video plugin I've ever seen!

So my results say there's not much you can do about emulator speed besides using 1964, but you can do something about video plugin. Btw the last 2 plugins i tested, I compiled myself with optimized settings.

Last edited by RPGMaster; 11th June 2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11th June 2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
Lol sorry, been preoccupied. I'm trying to fix up 1964 and 1964 video.

Edit: Lol I guess banjo tooie is more resource intensive than I thought. I'd like to see how well it runs in 1964 though. If only I could port savestates from 1 emulator to another.
If the byte code is the same, all one has to do us change the extension of the file...You could do that between SNES9X and ZSNES for a while until SNES9x 1.53 came out.

Added note Edit: My system specs are as follows..
1GB ASUS nVidia GTX550Ti OCed to 935MHz
Intel Core2 Quad Qu9650 @3GHz with a 1333MHz front side bus and 12MB Level 2 cache.
8GB DDR2 RAM
Slightly modded Dell Studio 540b case...
450Watt Power Supply..
Given all that, I don't have performance issues in Banjo-Tooie...

~Groucho Marx

Last edited by Wally123; 11th June 2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11th June 2014, 08:37 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally123 View Post
If the byte code is the same, all one has to do us change the extension of the file...You could do that between SNES9X and ZSNES for a while until SNES9x 1.53 came out.
I'm pretty sure they are different, but I'm working on improving 1964. I will attempt to make the save state compatible. They don't even use the same compression.
Old 12th June 2014, 01:20 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Can you attach the 1964 Video DX9 plugin that somehow got 60VI/s?

Did you dumb down the Rice OpenGL plugin for the fastest performance?
No texture enhancements,use smaller textures,no big textures,etc.

Please attach the 1964 Video Community Version DX9 plugin,I really want to see if it can run that fast for me.
I get really good performance from DX9 on Dolphin Emulator,so maybe it is faster for PJ64 as well.