Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10th January 2011, 06:48 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonUser View Post
When squall said "check out this site", how do you know he wasn't implying agreement with the post above his? It does look like an advertisement though given squall's level of detail.

Quote:
Every time I check the forums 60-80% of the time it's mainly spam and posts that have not been completely thought out.
If both post #12 and #13 are defined as spam, that's less than 10% of the full thread. Thus, that's not a valid example of a time that you did sign on and see "mostly" spamming.

Quote:
Example
http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=2113
This thread should've died at post 3 but the OP came back and made a comment.
I personally consider posts 25 and on purely unnecessary, the ones before it are tolerable since they do mention things about back flipping, what the OP's comment was about.
THAT, is a valid example.

Currently that's one of two non-Open-Discussion threads me and that crazy-ass tatertot are still being dicks in. The other forums currently, last I checked, do not have derailing discussions. I'm not saying they haven't in the past.

Quote:
That's very general.
Yes, the range of posts is "4 to 11", but you should know that posts 5 and 9 do provide valid help, not really post #7 though cause that sort of explains my idea in post 5, whilst in response to a source in derailment.

So that's 5 or 4 posts out of the full thread that are spam, which again is not "mostly spam" or even let alone 60-80% ratio.

Quote:
The sad thing is these posts outweigh the actual help that's being offered.
I've considered massive pruning to clear out the spam and may do it one day but it wouldn't help for long, this community just doesn't seem to understand, care, or know how to make constructive posts.
If you want to know how to do something in Project64, you would seriously rather your thread never existed and remain ignorant than to get your question answered and have crap after that? Or did you not even think about that, since helping the user doesn't matter as much as making moderation look clean?

All of your examples include only me and natnatertatortot behind the posts that you deem to be spam. If you ban me and him, you are not banning "this community". That would mean you don't know how to make constructive posts either. Aren't you and the moderation part of the community? "Understand, care, or know how," all three of those I can easily prove you wrong with by citing an even bigger ratio of valid examples than you gave in which we have posted on-topic messages. And I don't have to quote me or him to do it; the number of posts made by everyone on this forum minus myself and Nate is far greater than the remainder, most of which have questions and on-topic answers.

Last edited by HatCat; 10th January 2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10th January 2011, 07:25 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonUser
Tsk tsk tsk Clements you should've used your moderator powers to split this thread up.

Zombie threads are bad!
They'll take over the forum if you'll let them.
http://www.emutalk.net/showpost.php?p=431820

And I suppose your empathetic discussions with other moderators in help threads are hugely different from the spamming done here between friends.

This is my opinion--I'm not stating it as law: The more you moderators emphasize the moderation system to the public users who really don't care and just want to get help in their threads, the harder your job probably is going to be I would think. There is also a saying, "When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all."

So while you're on about how me and Nate, in our own personal way, are making off-topic discussions (except not about how a thread should be moderated like you did at EmuTalk), a fair deal of everyone else in the community's not giving a shit about how clean or dirty the thread is because they already found the solution to the problem.

So the more you care, the harder your life is, or something like that haha.

I honestly don't know. That little philosophy was just an intuitive invention of mine.
Old 12th January 2011, 06:43 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Not posting constructively eh? Ever heard of squall_leonhart?
Old 12th January 2011, 06:50 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Talk about throwing a random tantrum of pessimism and then vanishing for another 2-3 weeks.
Old 21st January 2011, 06:40 PM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Talk about throwing a random tantrum of pessimism and then vanishing for another 2-3 weeks.
Actually it's quite the opposite.
I've pinned my hopes on the new community to help zilmar finish off PJ64.
So if anything I'm caring far too much and being way too optimistic.

Take a look at your posts one day, you'll see pages of spam for every page of helpful information.
The way you quantify spam and the way I quantify spam may be different but you should still be able to see it's at least half spam and half helpful.

The reason for my "vanishing" is quite simple.
I'm away thinking if I've been too harsh or am misunderstanding something.
Anytime I make a post like I did in this thread I put at least a week's thought into it before posting and another week or two reflecting.
I've been rash in the past with people, Smiff being one of them.
So I try my best to control myself.

As for the forum being "alive" I honestly don't mind it, but it gets bad when the thread jumps to 5+ pages for something that was solved on the first page.
This bothers me because I try to put myself in the place of someone new to the forums asking for help.
If they come in and see a slew of posts not completely related to the OP's issue what hope can they expect to get their problem solved in a fast and concise manner?

Go ahead and take my words and twist them to your liking.
I don't mind since all you'll be doing is making me "vanish" for longer periods of time.
Eventually I may not come back and since I've not been dreadfully active in the beta/alpha stage I doubt my presence will be missed.
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4770
Sound Card: On-Board Realtek ALC889A
Old 21st January 2011, 06:55 PM

I think he was talking about squall and meant to be sarcastic.
Though either way it was undeserved.

I think everyone who contributes should be thanked, especially Squall, Rswedlow/Iconoclast, and natnatertatertot - they put a lot of time into this community, and while not all of it is possitive contributions they are still the ones keeping this place alive.

Spam should definitaly be minimized whenever possible, however, people enjoy talking to those who have the same interests and conversations can tend to develope naturally; without the intention of spam or negetive posts, regretably this happens more often than it should.
Without the community, of course, there would be no reason for anyone to seek out help at all. If there were no community aspect to pj64 someone with a problem would be just out of luck.
Also if the people donating their own time(they do not have to help anyone at all) to helping others in the forums could not have some sort of discussion with their friends here then they would have no reason whatsoever to return and thus the site would eventually die.
The community aspect is, in my opinion, a large part of what makes PJ64 the greatest n64 emulator out there.
Quote:
This bothers me because I try to put myself in the place of someone new to the forums asking for help.
If they come in and see a slew of posts not completely related to the OP's issue what hope can they expect to get their problem solved in a fast and concise manner?

Eventually I may not come back and since I've not been dreadfully active in the beta/alpha stage I doubt my presence will be missed.
I suppose it can be a little difficult for some, but I've been around scince practically the begininng of pj64(never had any reason to join the community myself till I decided to try to help someone with an issue they were having with paper mario) and I've never had any trouble finding the answers to any issues I've had, most were easy enough to figure out on my own though.

Most of the time the problem is solved early on, within the first or second page(as far as I've seen anyway) which makes it easier for a user to find the answer they are looking for; then they have no reason to read the rest of the thread which may or may not be filled with spam.

Please do not leave. All the admins deserve more credit than they are given for attempting to help moderate the site. They are another reason which makes this project so great. You guys, and everyone on the pj64 staff, give me hope for the future developement of pj64.

Final thoughts:
I do not wish to see this site or this project die anytime soon.
This project has really helped me to reclaim my childhood.
These games hold more nostolgia and memories for my brother, my cousins, and I than anything else in the world.
They mean a whole lot to me as does this community and pj64.
I really enjoy this community, spam and all!
Thanks again to everyone involved with this project!
#1: Squall Leonhart- Final Fantasy VIII (PS)
Simply put Squall, spends most of the game raining on everyone's parade. I, for one, found this to be quite amusing. The amusing aspects of his depressive nature appears early in the game when he is talking with his mentor/party member, Quistis. After her emotional plea that he "doesn't have to talk, just listen," Squall replies with the jaw-droppingly cold mega-burn, "Then talk to a wall" *leaves*. Squall, they just don't get any funnier than that.

Last edited by SeriousSam; 21st January 2011 at 07:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 21st January 2011, 07:41 PM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousSam View Post
Please do not leave. All the admins deserve more credit than they are given for attempting to help moderate the site.
I don't credit them much because I don't wanna sound like a suck-up

But you guys keep those samlaptops in their places
Old 21st January 2011, 07:59 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Go ahead and take my words and twist them to your liking.
I don't mind since all you'll be doing is making me "vanish" for longer periods of time.
I haven't twisted any of your words, just cited them for my statements.

You gave a percentage of spam you didn't justify with valid examples except for 1, which would imply that yes you do have a misunderstanding or harsh perception.

You said also that when you logged on you saw mostly spamming when you cited threads, except for 1, that were majority composed of question-relevant information in their posts, which would imply that yes you do have a misunderstanding or harsh perception.

And now you're saying that you've been overly optimistic, having been away doubting yourself as having possibly been misunderstanding or too harsh. I don't care if you can convince me to think I'm twisting your words or not; that's paradoxical nonsense. It's not impossible to solve a spamming problem unless you're just not resourceful on ideas, but it's nonetheless pessimistic at this instant in time when there are only 2 non-OD-forum threads with majority spam in it that are still actively posted in. That means that this problem you keep going on about today consists of nothing except 2 threads.

By no means do I think any such misjudgement outweighs the respect you deserve. I don't know if it's one of those things about getting old or what, but it's not that you haven't been forgiving in what you've tried, just passive. Passivity isn't optimism. If you want to help zilmar put this project to peaceful rest you can easily ignore all of us; we matter nothing to you except possibly as fellow contributors to the testing he would like done.

And on that note, if you understand my meaning, I'll contently resign from conversing with that crazy tater-tot.

I've read some history years back about Smiff and Gent, though I don't know nearly as much about you. If I didn't know any better, I'd say Smiff himself was a bit rash. This sort of thing is why I think this issue isn't really worth taking so seriously, again as to why I'm more than happy to stop posting in all the threads unless it's in direct answer to what the OP requests or something like that.

Last edited by HatCat; 21st January 2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 21st January 2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewtnatertatertwo View Post
I don't credit them much because I don't wanna sound like a suck-up
lol.
I would only be a suck up if I didn't mean it or wasn't telling the truth, also to be a suck up I would have to have something to gain. Which I don't.
#1: Squall Leonhart- Final Fantasy VIII (PS)
Simply put Squall, spends most of the game raining on everyone's parade. I, for one, found this to be quite amusing. The amusing aspects of his depressive nature appears early in the game when he is talking with his mentor/party member, Quistis. After her emotional plea that he "doesn't have to talk, just listen," Squall replies with the jaw-droppingly cold mega-burn, "Then talk to a wall" *leaves*. Squall, they just don't get any funnier than that.
Old 21st January 2011, 09:16 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Well I don't want to sound like a fanboy or anything. I just do research, and if material like an emulator project contributed to by a large group helps, I can either converse with them or work independently. Thanks or gratitude is more like that intro or closing stuff I guess.
Closed Thread