Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 30th August 2014, 01:03 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Default Mario Kart 64 4 Player Multiplayer issue

Since the dawn of N64 emulation Mario Kart 64 has always run too fast for a great experience with 4 player multiplayer.

I have read several threads concerning this issue, and I have found suggestions of adjusting the VI/AI, syncing the audio, and using the (E) rom.

I have found that none of these really fix the issue, and you can see from the countdown from Lakito it is still emulated too fast after using the methods listed above.

I'm pretty sure that Nintendo has added a speed hack to this game in order to make the experience on the real N64 bearable.

I have tested all the available ROM's for Mario Kart, and all of them share the same issue, except one!

I'm not sure yet, but I am proposing a further investigation from someone with more knowledge than myself.

Wii VC Mario Kart 64 doesn't possess this speed issue and I'm unsure if Nintendo modified the ROM that is being used in the WAD or the emulator Nintendo uses for the Wii.

Does anyone know if there is a way to rip the ROM from the WAD to test it out?

I would love to play Mario Kart 64 with 3 of my buddies the way it was meant to be.

I found this:

forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-howto-extract-rom-from-a-virtual-console-game

Last edited by theboy181; 30th August 2014 at 01:13 AM.
Old 30th August 2014, 01:26 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Since Dolphin is a superior emulator, why not play VC on that ?

Jokes aside, I like your motivation. Yes, it's pretty much confirmed nintendo did some hack to alter speed. I'm pretty sure there's a way to rip the wad. After all, there's a gc edition for Majoras mask, that works on emulator.

Let me know if you find a way to get it working. Would be an interesting solution.
Old 30th August 2014, 02:08 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Here are my findings.

I ripped the ROM from the WAD and discovered that the ROM is the same CRC as the (U) version. The speed issue still exists, so it's how the emulator handles the ROM.

I guess the next step would be to place the Mario Kart ROM into another VC WAD to see if the emulator has been modified for that VC emulator.

Anyone have the skills? Is there anyway to see how the VC emulator works?
Old 30th August 2014, 02:46 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get much help. You're pretty much on your own, so I would definitely not wait around for help.

I will offer some advice though. I'd recommend you google a bit more, before possibly reinventing the wheel. If you can't find anything, then the next step would be to convert the n64 rom to a WAD (you may already be able to download a WAD that was converted from the ROM). If that doesn't get you anywhere, then the next step is to do some debugging of the n64 one.

If my guess is correct, they probably use some multiplier for speed. Seems like the simplest solution to me. I did think the algorithm seemed funky, but the reason was probably because of things like that hack.
Old 4th March 2017, 03:48 PM

Hello,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem please? I tried a few years ago but gave up as I hit a brick wall and just figured nothing could be done.

Basically me and my mates only play Koopa Beach. MK64 appears to run perfectly with anything up to three players but with four players it's glitchy and unplayable compared to the original.

I'm really hoping someone's managed to work this out as four player MK64 on Koopa Beach at 1080P is our holy grail.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Justin

Last edited by justin8571; 4th March 2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 4th March 2017, 11:09 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin8571 View Post
Hello,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem please? I tried a few years ago but gave up as I hit a brick wall and just figured nothing could be done.

Basically me and my mates only play Koopa Beach. MK64 appears to run perfectly with anything up to three players but with four players it's glitchy and unplayable compared to the original.

I'm really hoping someone's managed to work this out as four player MK64 on Koopa Beach at 1080P is our holy grail.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Justin
Yes, a gameshark code has been made to fix the issue on emulators. If you download the latest version of project64, it comes with the gameshark code, and may even be automatically enabled for you (not entirely sure).
Old 5th March 2017, 12:27 AM

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

A Gameshark code, what's that please? From what I gather with the emulated MK64, the issue with the four player mode was caused by frame skipping that was needed for the N64 console to run the four player mode at a playable speed (if that makes sense). I take it that the Gameshark code removes this problem?

I'll have a go tomorrow at downloading project64 and MK64. I've forgotten what I'm supposed to do as it's been a few years since I last tried but I'm sure I'll work it out.

Really appreciate your help and I'll post back to let you know how I get on.

Justin
Old 5th March 2017, 01:04 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Just run Mario Kart 64 with the latest version of Project64. The cheat fix is enabled by default in the rdb.

Cheat0=81001A38 2409,81001A3A 0002,81001A3C 2409,81001A3E 0002,81001C90 240A,81001C92 0002,81001C94 240A,81001C96 0002 //Multiplayer timing fix
Old 5th March 2017, 10:44 AM

Thanks for your help but I can't seem to find the downloads! I went to the download section on this site and then Binaries where it mentions public releases for the project but there's nothing else there to select. Is there an issue with the site please or am I doing something horrendously stupid?

I get the same result whether I navigate the site on my PC or phone.

Thanks again

Justin
Old 5th March 2017, 12:38 PM

After a bit of faffing about and scratching my head I've got as far as downloading Project64 and the US version of MK64, which is great. I've also got it running on my PC and have four original N64 controllers attached via two USB adaptors but I'm struggling with the controller config at the moment as I can't remember what I have to do, as it was a good few years ago that I last gave this a try.

I've been into Windows Game Controller settings and each controller is working correctly, it's just I have no idea with the the emulator's controller config settings.

I have had a search on the forum, and will keep trying, but if anyone can help put me out of my misery then that would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to get any joy with configuring any of the controller's buttons and I'm not even sure whether I should select Plugged or N64 Mouse.

As you can tell I far from being competent with computers so any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you

Justin