Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Issues

Old 21st April 2015, 04:53 PM

Default CN64System::RunRSP on Zelda OoT

Self-compiled revision 9884091. Started up Zelda OoT (U). Was able to create a name for a new character but trying to start the game resulted in CN64System::RunRSP - Unknown memory action. All default config. Any idea what went wrong?

Edit: This only happens when starting a new game. Loading an existing game is fine. I've tried building on two separate computers. One with Intel graphics, the other with Nvidia. Same case in both.

Edit 2: It happens whenever loading a save made with the current version of Project64. Using the CPU interpreter fixes the issue.

Last edited by tony971; 21st April 2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 21st April 2015, 08:31 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony971 View Post
Self-compiled revision 9884091. Started up Zelda OoT (U). Was able to create a name for a new character but trying to start the game resulted in CN64System::RunRSP - Unknown memory action. All default config. Any idea what went wrong?

Edit: This only happens when starting a new game. Loading an existing game is fine. I've tried building on two separate computers. One with Intel graphics, the other with Nvidia. Same case in both.
There seems to be a problem with the Error detection code in PJ64. There's some undefined behavior perhaps, causing the error message not to show in cases where it should. So I am unable to "reproduce" this issue, but it's likely related to the Protect Memory issue. You can try selecting CPU interpreter and let me know if the problem still occurs.
Old 21st April 2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
There seems to be a problem with the Error detection code in PJ64. There's some undefined behavior perhaps, causing the error message not to show in cases where it should. So I am unable to "reproduce" this issue, but it's likely related to the Protect Memory issue. You can try selecting CPU interpreter and let me know if the problem still occurs.
It works with CPU interpreter. Also, it turns out that I was only able to load the existing save because it was made with a previous version of Project64. Saving the game with CPU interpreter and then loading from the recompiler results in the same crash.

Last edited by tony971; 21st April 2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 21st April 2015, 09:43 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

I wish the CN64System::RunRSP error was consistent. The chance of it happening when it's supposed to is unreliable. For instance, the way the RSP you're using, handles SP_DMA affects whether the issue gets exposed or not. I wouldn't be surprised if you did not get the crash with a different RSP plugin, such as HatCat's. Even though the error is supposed to show up.

Do you mind also testing Castlevania (U) (V1.2)? Another user reported this issue and I suspect it may be the same root cause.
Old 21st April 2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
I wish the CN64System::RunRSP error was consistent. The chance of it happening when it's supposed to is unreliable. For instance, the way the RSP you're using, handles SP_DMA affects whether the issue gets exposed or not. I wouldn't be surprised if you did not get the crash with a different RSP plugin, such as HatCat's. Even though the error is supposed to show up.

Do you mind also testing Castlevania (U) (V1.2)? Another user reported this issue and I suspect it may be the same root cause.
Castlevania works for me. Both 1.0 and 1.2.
Old 21st April 2015, 11:38 PM

Also, you were right. HatCat's RSP plugin doesn't have the issue.
Old 22nd April 2015, 12:02 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony971 View Post
Also, you were right. HatCat's RSP plugin doesn't have the issue.
Thanks for the feedback. Good to know that at least some of this unusual behavior is consistent other people's machines too.

I wouldn't call it a solution to switch RSP's since those kind of problems are supposed to be exposed. Had this error consistently appeared, the real problem probably could have been fixed by now.

Some end users may think it's good to use some kind of "work around ", but in this case, it's not good to mask bugs. On the other hand, using CPU interpreter is a solution (perhaps not the most ideal, to some), since the real problem is the CPU Recompiler.

This isn't the only time I've seen UB related to memcpy though ;/.
Old 14th August 2015, 08:42 PM

Happens the same to me on 1.6 to 2.X versions sometimes. I start a new OoT game, then go to the Kokiri's shop after the long intro scene, exit the shop, press START and bam!

Happens with Hatcat's and any combination of RSP plugins
Old 14th August 2015, 09:34 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelo_20xx View Post
Happens the same to me on 1.6 to 2.X versions sometimes. I start a new OoT game, then go to the Kokiri's shop after the long intro scene, exit the shop, press START and bam!

Happens with Hatcat's and any combination of RSP plugins
What graphics plugin are you using? Also, are you using HLE or LLE graphics?
Old 14th August 2015, 11:09 PM

Glide64Final, also if you want to reproduce this crash all the time with the above steps, you can try zdec (a utility for decompressing the OoT rom) and run the resulting 64MB decompressed rom.