Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Issues

Old 22nd December 2015, 06:08 AM

Default Body Harvest - Geometry Issues

See title. Kind of amazing that all these years later, no emulator/plugin combination has managed to get Body Harvest in fully working order yet.

For the uninitiated, the problem is basically the character can't traverse certain terrain (generally ramps) that he should. A easy one to test with is in Greece 1 (first stage), the ramp behind the house that lowers the drawbridge.

EVERY Emulator/Plugin is plagued by the same problem. And no one really even agrees what the problem actually is.

The issue gameplay wise is certain buildings that you typically need to enter to progress are not able to be entered, making the game near impossible to progress in (Barring cheats to get around certain problem areas).

Kind of raises the question if we need some super-accurate LLE software mode so this issue can finally get tracked down and fixed.
Old 9th May 2016, 12:33 AM

Going to bump my own report with some new info. I've found two configurations that run Body Harvest with perfect clipping:

Shunyaun's Softgraphic 1.5 [HLE only]
angrylions RDP with OpenGL 1.5 [LLE only]

It's worth noting Shunyaun's plugin uses angrylions RDP for rendering.

Tested on latest PJ64 builds [2.2] with multiple RSP plugins. No other graphics plugin I've tried runs in HLE/LLE free of clipping.

One thing I find interesting, is if you swap between GPU plugins, the clipping follows the first plugin. For example, if I start with Softgraphic and change to Jabo's latest pluging, the clipping works fine for an extended period of time [usually until a major map transition, or quitting the game]. Likewise, if I start with Jabo's and switch to Softgraphic, the clipping problems remain even on the working plugins.

Hope this helps someone track down this issue and get it fixed; running at 30 FPS isn't fun

Last edited by gamerk2; 9th May 2016 at 12:46 AM.
Old 9th May 2016, 01:01 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Even Jabo's software renderer plugin should work.
Old 9th May 2016, 08:36 PM

Assuming you mean the Jabo plugin with Software Rendering enabled, nope. LLE is unplayable due to missing textures, HLE graphics are also messed up (though playable), and the clipping remains.
Old 9th May 2016, 08:54 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerk2 View Post
Assuming you mean the Jabo plugin with Software Rendering enabled, nope. LLE is unplayable due to missing textures, HLE graphics are also messed up (though playable), and the clipping remains.
My bad, you're right. I'll see about investigating this further.

Edit: dug deeper and confirmed it's a framebuffer problem. Even z64 has some clipping, although less than most other plugins, so accuracy matters a lot. From what I saw, the game seems to store some information in RDRAM upon loading house on the screen. When I set a write breakpoint in RDRAM, it appeared to be in the fbwrite function in angrylion's. Also, this area is outside of the VI Origin area. After the fbwrite, seems like the cpu reads the data then modifies it.

Last edited by RPGMaster; 9th May 2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old 5th June 2016, 06:15 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I did more debugging yesterday, and it's actually not written from fbwrite ;/ . Not sure why the debugger stated that function, but maybe I should pay closer attention to address offsets.

It turns out that it requires coverage, so it can't be done on any currently available hardware plugin. However, the good news is that you can fix the problem in software. The better you study the game, the more you can reduce the overhead . If I had a hardware rendering plugin worth using, I'd give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerk2 View Post
One thing I find interesting, is if you swap between GPU plugins, the clipping follows the first plugin. For example, if I start with Softgraphic and change to Jabo's latest pluging, the clipping works fine for an extended period of time [usually until a major map transition, or quitting the game]. Likewise, if I start with Jabo's and switch to Softgraphic, the clipping problems remain even on the working plugins.

Hope this helps someone track down this issue and get it fixed; running at 30 FPS isn't fun
Thanks btw. This did help. Although I'm not sure why you'd use Shunyuna's plugin. Angrylion's is superior. I practically get full speed in Body Harvest in-game. How good is your cpu?
Old 6th June 2016, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
Angrylion's is superior. I practically get full speed in Body Harvest in-game. How good is your cpu?
It doesn't run full speed for me and i have an i5 4670.

I use version 1.5 of the plugin. Is there a newer/better version?
Old 6th June 2016, 04:46 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasoulis View Post
It doesn't run full speed for me and i have an i5 4670.

I use version 1.5 of the plugin. Is there a newer/better version?
What RSP are you using? I'm really shocked. For me, cut scenes still lag, but I can at least run around and shoot enemies at full speed in-game.

I just did some quick testing on an old build I did. I think it was up to r94. Now Angrylion is currently at r98, so it's a few commits behind the latest. All I did was download Angrylion's source here https://sourceforge.net/p/angrylions...ode/HEAD/tree/ , then strip out VI filters, add frameskip (for games that are not 60 FPS), and compile with Intel. I'm sure MSVC 2015 would also yield good performance.

Even if you were to compile HatCat's fork with Intel, Clang, or MSVC, you'd get better performance.
Old 6th June 2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
What RSP are you using? I'm really shocked. For me, cut scenes still lag, but I can at least run around and shoot enemies at full speed in-game.
I use one that says "static interpreter" when i select it. I also get some full speed gameplay at times though but its not consistent.

Anyway, lets just say i have no idea about compiling and stuff.
Old 6th June 2016, 10:20 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasoulis View Post
I use one that says "static interpreter" when i select it. I also get some full speed gameplay at times though but its not consistent.

Anyway, lets just say i have no idea about compiling and stuff.
To get better performance, you can use Project64's RSP + Azimer's HLE (since Body Harvest uses more power for audio than most games). So set audio to HLE. I think this game's 30 fps, so you can get away with setting an option called "Refresh" to 1, with Hatcat's fork of Angrylion's.

Other than that, you can try tweaking PJ64's recompiler settings to get a little more performance. I disabled "use TLB" and "Start Changed". It seems to work fine, but will need to do more testing.

Once I get bored of FB emulation, I'll consider starting a new fork. It would be faster .