Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Suggestions

Old 1st November 2016, 03:01 PM

Default Detection of physical device, like Controller Pak

Hi,

I'm new in this forum. First of all, I have to say that Project 64 is awesome. Sorry if I'm in the wrong section.

Sincerely, I don't know if this feature is enabled in v2.2, but...is there a possibility of using a external (physical) device in my N64 controller for playing games in the emulator? (Like an official Controller Pak)

I don't know if I'm explaining it well but, for instance: Project 64 has an option which uses a integrated/plugged MemPak (not a physical Controller Pak) for loading/saving game data in the emulator, as you know.

Well, for playing games in the emulator, I use an official n64 controller connected to my PC through a N64-USB adapter.
Then, my question is: can I use my physical Controller Pak for loading/saving game data while I'm playing in the emulator? Or easier...is Project64 capable of detecting my physical Controller Pak?

Thanks a lot.
Best wishes.

Kiko.

Last edited by Astoran; 1st November 2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 17th December 2016, 11:07 AM

Default Bum!

I've literally just created a thread here in 'suggestions' for this very same thing. Any luck yet?
Old 17th December 2016, 11:47 AM

Default Hummmm.

I've just seen the following in the Downloads page. Off to see if it's what we're wondering about.....

MemPaks

"Controller Pak" / Memory Pak / MemPak saves.

put in your Project64 \Save folder (or the folder you've configured)
make sure you have selected "Memory Pak" in Jabo's input plugin. if using a 3rd party input plugin, loading may be different, read plugin documentation.
should be compatible with all emulators and real N64.
Old 19th December 2016, 02:48 AM

Exclamation Depends on the adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoran View Post
Sincerely, I don't know if this feature is enabled in v2.2, but...is there a possibility of using a external (physical) device in my N64 controller for playing games in the emulator? (Like an official Controller Pak)
Like I said in Vamp's thread, unless you have a special adapter with controller pak support (there's like only two), it is not possible.

N-Rage's input plugin, which you seem to be familiar with, had support for an old adapter called "The Adaptoid" from 1999 which is no longer manufactured.

You either need to find an authentic Adaptoid, hope the drivers from 1999 still work on modern windows, or get the ralphnet one, and use his experimental plugin.

Personally I'd rather use PJ64's native support for unlimited MPK files. With the right adapter you can just manually backup and restore saves on a real controller pak.
Old 27th December 2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zikey View Post
hope the drivers from 1999 still work on modern windows
Pretty sure they don't, since those drivers were written for 32-bit Windows. It'd be great if someone could do a full reverse-engineering of the Adaptoid to write new drivers for it, but given how rare it is these days I think that's out of the question.
Old 30th December 2016, 09:31 AM

Aside from not being able to afford one right now, it's a good thing my windy 7 is 32 bit.
Old 4th January 2017, 01:24 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I don't think it matters since 64-bit Windows includes the 32-bit kernel and libraries. 32-bit Adaptoid drivers has about the same chance of not working on Windows 64-bit as Project64 32-bit has of not working on 64-bit.

Anyway, if the Adaptoid is just some temporary manufactured product for the maker to rake in some money before dying of lemon overdose or whatever then who cares. Stick to the keyboard and don't worry about the anti-abundant elitist little contraptions. It's usually free, too.
Old 5th January 2017, 06:17 AM

I'd agree, but I want to rescue some Perfect Dark characters I've been cultivating since the game came out before the battery I can't change because it's jammed in the controller dies.
Old 5th January 2017, 10:22 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Time to whip out the ol' gameshark!
Old 9th January 2017, 11:03 AM

How much are they? And can they export to PJ64?