Old 3rd January 2017, 10:14 PM

Thumbs down Modifying or removing nag screens

I love Project64, but I can't stand your persistence in trying to get cash from me. I'm a labouring class citizen, living by paycheck, and saving the few extra pence I can spare. Like hell I have extra money to give you. And time is of the essence when I'm trying to wind down, so stop making me wait thirty seconds before I can enjoy the few good things life has to offer. Attached you'll find my suggestion making PJ64 seem less desperate and more inviting. If you get rid of the pop-up, maybe I'll consider saving a few pounds to send your way.

http colon slash slash imgur dot com slash a slash iUk4Y

Last edited by idontlikenagscreens; 3rd January 2017 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Forgot the attachment
Old 3rd January 2017, 10:40 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

If you add up all the 30 seconds maybe you could have found some money :O
Old 4th January 2017, 08:00 AM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontlikenagscreens View Post
I love Project64, but I can't stand your persistence in trying to get cash from me. I'm a labouring class citizen, living by paycheck, and saving the few extra pence I can spare. Like hell I have extra money to give you. And time is of the essence when I'm trying to wind down, so stop making me wait thirty seconds before I can enjoy the few good things life has to offer. Attached you'll find my suggestion making PJ64 seem less desperate and more inviting. If you get rid of the pop-up, maybe I'll consider saving a few pounds to send your way.

http colon slash slash imgur dot com slash a slash iUk4Y
Yes there is a delay, but you still get to use hour and hours worth of work for free. It does not cost much to support the emu. The source is also available if you want to work out how to remove it to.

I assume you do not work for free, do you? Why should I work for free?
Old 5th January 2017, 01:38 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I do not work for free but the amount of leftover alone time I have to myself with a bit over 40 worked hours a week is already something I have to pay for to relax.

And what I have to pay to enjoy the time I'm off and not working already comes out to roughly what these people are willing to pay to donate to or purchase an emulator. HAY I'LL PAY YOU $60 / $80 IF YOU START FINISHING (different vague descriptions of ideal plugin/emulator here). That doesn't amount to a drop in the bucket to what I make in a month so it's like I'd rather spend that kind of money, than get it donated to me and encourage me to take away my remaining personal time spent "earning" it from them.

Not that any of this is any argument for or against you doing it. just me seeing a reason to.

Last edited by HatCat; 5th January 2017 at 01:46 AM.
Old 10th January 2017, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilmar View Post
Yes there is a delay, but you still get to use hour and hours worth of work for free. It does not cost much to support the emu. The source is also available if you want to work out how to remove it to.

Volunteering is a thing, and is the basis of lots of open source projects. Anyone can help improve PJ64 with pull requests and whatnot, and they do it for no pay. If you're getting paid for other's efforts that also could have a negative impact on further community involvement as well.

Having a early-2000s-shareware-model nagscreen with a countdown in open source software is a bit of a strange move. Even WinRAR didn't force you to wait, and that's as closed source and commercial as it comes. A patreon or a non-obtrusive donate option in menu would be far better. Everybody wins if supporters and users alike are given the best experience possible, and not cornered into paying up.

I understand where you're coming from, the costs involved of hosting, time and effort etc, but emulation isn't the most profitable business. If you make something great, people love it, and donations can help offset the cost of hosting and development. But to lessen the experience in hope that some will pay to make it a better one, is not a good idea. That's how angry fans and unofficial builds find popularity.

Personally what keeps me using and loving PJ64 is the ability to disable the nagscreen. It's great software as it is and has a lot of potential. If there was a more clear direction of where PJ64 is headed, with more updates and less stagnation I would excitedly support a patreon, as I'm sure others would too. I've heard talk of an updated site, a wiki, but aside from that, no one knows what's being fixed, what's being worked on, exciting new features etc.
Old 12th January 2017, 06:36 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilmar View Post

But what if you're someone who already paid to support, surely, those who did can get a version without the nag?
RAM: 8192MB DDR3 SDRAM PC2 10600
HDD: Western Digital 1 TB 7200 RPM
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way
Old 12th January 2017, 07:20 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

That's what the Project Supporter status is for,right?
Then Zilmar can PM you upon request for the confirmation password.
Old 12th January 2017, 07:29 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroben View Post
That's what the Project Supporter status is for,right?
Then Zilmar can PM you upon request for the confirmation password.
But he's busy, I don't know how long it would take to get a response, IDK, man. I'd have to ask via PM every time I try a new version, no?
RAM: 8192MB DDR3 SDRAM PC2 10600
HDD: Western Digital 1 TB 7200 RPM
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way
Old 13th January 2017, 06:59 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Its a master passphrase,it has worked on a few versions I have used it on via my received PM.