Old 29th June 2011, 01:27 PM

Question glN64 framedrop and questions

Hello!

I recently read this thread:
forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=2569

I've always tried messing with Jabo's D3D plug-ins to get those textures to appear. The same goes for shadows under objects with Mario64. Thanks for suggesting the glN64 plug-in, it allows these to be seen now (I only tested Mario, but assume OoT's dirt patches will show)!

Issue with the glN64 plugin for me though -- I have a Intel GM45 (mobile chipset) on my laptop and I get some odd frame drops in Mario64. Periodically get jumps that go down to 45fps. With glN64 it doesn't seem quite smooth from frame to frame in OoT even though I get a nearly consistent 60fps. I have tried v6 of Jabo's D3D plug-in but that doesn't fix the shadow/texture issue.

Do you have any suggestions on other plug-ins to get these games more compatible? Is the slowdown with the GL plug-in due to my integrated graphics? For the most part, the GM45 does pretty well and can handle or at least run/render somewhat taxing games.

Thanks

Last edited by Josh86; 29th June 2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Additional info & grammar
Old 29th June 2011, 01:44 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Try setting some space for cache.
Old 29th June 2011, 02:38 PM

Thanks for the response -- but it turns out that the frame drops may have been due to CPU usage...the slowdowns were magically alleviated on my next test. I had a lot of browser windows open and had some other stuff going *doh*.

The plug-in seems to be working very well so far. I noticed the textures look icky with the 2xSaI scaling on with this plug-in, though. I keep that off. Just tested a bit and only noticed one little bug in OoT during the test. At the Dodongo's Cavern entrance, by the first Beamo (laser eye statue) the base of the large platform it's on doesn't draw a face texture depending on the angle it's viewed at. I only saw it happen once and couldn't recreate it. Also, Link's portrait appears as a goofy texture instead of the character model -- changing resolution ratios doesn't fix (I've read this may help).

Thanks for the info again. I'll probably start visiting these forums more often.

EDIT: Oh, I also noticed the plug-in creates some small graphical errors at the extreme end of the screen (1-4 pixel horizontal line at the top of garbled color). Upon loading a ROM it does this across the entire screen in random positions. It's not really bothersome.

Last edited by Josh86; 29th June 2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Typo; more info
Old 29th June 2011, 03:06 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

yeah gln64 is a bit...eww
Old 29th June 2011, 03:56 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsx! View Post
yeah gln64 is a bit...eww
Yeah, but glide 64 is good
Old 29th June 2011, 08:23 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Intel is vaguely supported (much improvement and can still work with Jabo's just fine), but if you get glN64 to work on it, then yes slowdowns or garbled graphics on the edge of the screen are a concern.

Try the "hardware frame buffer emulation (experimental)" option. This can either make your game about 5:4 or 4:5 the speed you were having before--sometimes faster, sometimes slower. It should, at least, help the screen rendering to prevent flickering of garbled textures.

Tags
gln64, mario64, ocarina of time, shadows, textures