Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 6th April 2014, 10:42 PM

Default So what's with F-Zero X texture dumping?

This might be the wrong forum (it probably is) but of all the ones I've seen, this is the only one that isn't a complete ghost town, so please bear with me.

My question is, do we know what's up with the texture dumping in F-Zero X? Many of the textures are dumped in tiny, impossible-to-edit slices as though there's some kind of limit on how much the plugin (Mudlord's Rice 6.1.4; Glide64 crashes on me) is allowed to dump at a time. To add insult to injury, some of the textures are just plain corrupted. Has it got anything to do with the compression, by any chance?

If it matters to anyone, the reason I'm asking is I've had my eye on a texture pack.
Old 24th April 2014, 01:24 PM

Default RE: So what's with F-Zero X texture dumping?

Maybe you can try using the "1964Video N64 Video Plugin community version" or one of the Rice plugins? I had some success in using those to dump textures for F-Zero X.

I had some experience with F-Zero X about 2 years ago when I compiled a few partial hi-res texture packs I found online and added in some of my own, so this is based off of what I remember:

My guess as to why many of the textures as you said are dumped "in tiny, impossible-to-edit slices" was to make the processing of effects less hardware-intensive on the N64. E.g. the transition screen which displays the N64 logo (see attachments for the original and retextured transition screens). When I located the dumped textures, I found it gave me 27 or 28 .png files, each having dimensions of 296x4. To edit this screen, I created a Photoshop file that had the dimensions of the final reconstructed image (I ended up making it 1184x432) and exported 28 separate 1184x16 slices. One thing to note is that your hi-res textures have to have dimensions that are a multiple of the original file.

Again, I'm assuming that it was much easier to program the N64 to slide textures across the screen rather than render real-time effects on larger texture files.

Also, sometimes it seemed that the texture for something like a menu item would be repeated, with the repeats being chopped up versions of the original. I really don't know why this is. Maybe it's a problem with the emulator?

Certain textures, like the ones for the buildings you see in the background after you complete a Grand Prix, are repeated a gazillion times. This is because the effect of the lights turning on and off was done through the swapping of textures. I attached a screenshot of my texture dump folder to show this. There are 40 textures for the flashing and changing of color of the billboard and the lights inside the building (see attachment). Had the programmers instead chosen to have these effects render in real time, this would have been really heavy on the N64 or this might have been the only option to get these effects. What that means for us today is that if we want to edit these, we have to edit 40-something texture files.

It's good to know there's another living, breathing person who wants to see F-Zero X retextured!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F-ZERO X-151.jpg (21.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg F-ZERO X-152.jpg (28.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg F-ZERO X-149.jpg (22.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg F-ZERO X-150.jpg (27.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg f zero texture screenshot 2.jpg (102.5 KB, 7 views)

Tags
f-zero x, rice video, texture dumping, textures