Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 2nd March 2018, 11:03 PM

Default Reverb + Chorus on Nintendo 64.

I'm about to start a large project making a bunch of higher-than-ever-quality OST's from lots of games, somewhat similar to what I did for the CD-quality GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark releases.

I can't find information online about the details of the Nintendo 64 reverb and chorus.
#1: Where can I find good documentation on the reverb and chorus produced by Nintendo 64?
#2: Are they programmable? Are there multiple effects templates or do games get to change some parameters?

L. Spiro
Old 29th March 2018, 02:02 AM

Pretty deep into my project.
Sure would be nice to have any information at all on how Nintendo 64 does reverb and chorus.

L. Spiro
Old 29th March 2018, 03:24 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Sorry for not having information exactly,but I know that Yoshi's Story has a variety of alternate songs based on the entirely different tracks for Super Happy different instruments/pacing when Yoshi is sad.

A high quality FLAC collection lacks both of these instances.
I have made cheats at one point that makes music either super happy from the start and dreary from the start.

Yoshi Story (U)

Music Type Mods;

Always Rock Music
8102B3C4 0000
8102B3C6 0000

Always Dreary Music
8102B3C8 0000
8102B3CA 0000
8002B3F9 0000

Full Dreary
8102B3C0 0000
8102B3C2 0000
Prevents the Super Happy rock from playing to sustain dreary effect,also acts as a no rock with Super Happy code.

Though,how does one record the music,without getting sound effects or missing the start of any song?
And how would you access the other types while still not having sounds playing?

Edit: Found a time stop code that prevents sound effects but still has level ambiance like the waves and birds and such.
Pausing the game stops those ambiance sounds.

Stop Time
D010E170 0008
800F7EA5 0002
D010E170 0004
800F7EA5 0000
Prevents volume change but the ambiance still plays unlike pausing.

Edit 2: Just created a louder music volume mod for instruments.

Louder Music
500010E0 0000
811E9964 3F00
500010E0 0000
811E9966 0000

Here is original unpaused volume;

Music In Pause Is At Unpaused Volume
500010E0 0000
811E9964 3ECB
500010E0 0000
811E9966 2979

Not sure if these are flawless,it may mess with dynamic volumes on some songs.

Edit 3: Dammit! The volume changing codes mess up some songs like in the snow levels.

If only I could find the thing to disable ambiance effects,then unpaused music could be done,if even needed.

Edit 4: This code has an interesting result...

Max Music Volume Hack
8100C9FC 3C0F
8100C9FE 3ECB
8100CA00 448F
8100CA02 9000
Music has reverb-like qualities,though its not supposed to,snow level song is still bugged I think.

This has its own problems anyway because other parts that are supposed to be lower end up being louder in the wrong way.

Last edited by retroben; 29th March 2018 at 06:12 AM.
Old 29th March 2018, 07:45 AM

Thank you for the reply but you have slightly misunderstood what I am doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroben View Post
Though,how does one record the music,without getting sound effects or missing the start of any song?
And how would you access the other types while still not having sounds playing?
I have the samples and MIDI files for all Nintendo 64 games (in some cases my samples are the original uncompressed samples that have never been put onto a cartridge, 44,100 Hz).
I canít post links here so you will just have to search YouTube for ďCD-Quality GoldenEye 007Ē. You will find my channel (youtubeurl: UCG1p2qHnVfOIuRKOpePIgAA), and if you listen to any of the songs you will quickly find that they are higher quality than any existing GoldenEye 007/Perfect Dark OST recording. They are better than in the game, better than the CD releases, better than WinAmp and emulated play-back etc.

I donít record them through the game or through emulators etc.
The samples are loaded onto my Yamaha MONTAGE 8, all parameters (volume, pan, root key, key range, velocity range, vibrato, etc.) matched 1-for-1, and then the MIDI files are played through it.
The Yamaha MONTAGE 8 acts as a tone generator. It is production-quality hardware dedicated entirely to playing music, so it mixes sounds, bends pitches, filters samples, applies reverb and chorus, etc. better than any hardware that has previously been used to play back Nintendo 64 music. Certainly better than how the Nintendo 64 handled these tasks.

The only part of this process that is not 100% faithful to the original sound (just with better quality) is the reverb and chorus.
Since I donít know exactly how the Nintendo 64 handled these I have to use approximations.
They sound great (because Yamaha MONTAGE 8) and I could keep my approximations for the whole process, but it would be best if I can get even closer to the actual reverb and chorus.

L. Spiro
Old 29th March 2018, 08:06 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Talking

Feel free to post any valid links man . Any posts with links, made by users without enough posts will simply require approval by a moderator/admin.

When I looked into audio microcode, I don't think I found anything on reverb or chorus. I think it's possible that this is done on CPU instead of RSP, but who knows.
Old 29th March 2018, 09:56 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Sorry,didn't realize.

I can't think of anything that toggles stuff like reverb other than improper equalizer codes for both Banjo games that cause almost a surround sound simulation in stereo or headphones mode but they don't work so well.

Banjo-Tooie is one of the games to go for with the way its instruments play in some cases between different audio modes including official Dolby surround mode itself.

So,do you also happen to have the sounds for the entire DK Rap at above CD lossless quality?
Old 29th March 2018, 10:34 PM

(I still seem unable to post links so sadly they are broken up here.)

For convenience here is the channel mentioned above: youtube.com/channel/UCG1p2qHnVfOIuRKOpePIgAA
(CD-quality GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark recordings.)

This is a temporary result of my current project:
youtube.com/watch?v=Di1vzzTa--E
(Mario Kart 64 credits song.)
I'm using Mario Kart 64 as a test since I am familiar with its music and the sample sets are small (they dedicate banks to single songs rather than the typical way of making an SFX bank and an INST bank with 128 instruments).

That recording didn't have the modulo effect enabled so on the long sustained notes you won't hear said detail, but my local recording does have it. I don't remember the reverb settings I used for the YouTube recording. I may not have used any reverb, or it is just turned down.

In both cases you can really hear the extra clarity.
Compare that to this:
youtube.com/watch?v=bwUJYNrw1FY (Mario Kart 64 credits from OST.)

The difference is huge.
I plan to apply this difference to a large number of game OST's from Nintendo 64. This large project is attempting to give us crisp, clear, and faithful recordings of as much of the Nintendo 64 library as possible so that we can free ourselves of the muddy sounds the original hardware produced.

The main difference currently is in the reverb and chorus, since I have no information on those at all and just use approximations, but I have run into a few MIDI control messages that have slightly different meanings than the standard on Nintendo 64 (my custom tool converts the the ones I have discovered to the equivalent controls for Yamaha MONTAGE), so I hope to find 2 things here:
#1: Anyone who can help with the reverb/chorus.
#2: Anyone who knows the details of the sound system well enough to help me find MIDI controls that deviate slightly from the standard and that I need to translate to work the same way on my hardware.

L. Spiro
Old 29th March 2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroben View Post
Sorry,didn't realize.

I can't think of anything that toggles stuff like reverb other than improper equalizer codes for both Banjo games that cause almost a surround sound simulation in stereo or headphones mode but they don't work so well.

Banjo-Tooie is one of the games to go for with the way its instruments play in some cases between different audio modes including official Dolby surround mode itself.

So,do you also happen to have the sounds for the entire DK Rap at above CD lossless quality?
I got interrupted for a very long time in the middle of my previous post so I did not see this one.

There is a subtle difference between my current "all games" project and my CD-quality GoldenEye 007/Perfect Dark project which I will need to explain to avoid confusion.

I make video games for a living. I was a senior graphics programmer on Final Fantasy XV, R&D programmer on Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness, Silent Scope: Bone Eater, Phantasy Star Nova, etc.

As a child, Donkey Kong Country, Killer Instinct, GoldenEye 007, Perfect Dark, and Conker's Bad Fur Day made me want to work at Rare some day. Although I abandoned that dream when they got bought by Microsoft, I still moved to England after leaving Square Enix and worked near Twycross, and became friends with people from Rare, past and present.

It's a very rare (no pun intended) and special case that I have access to non-public (not even inside any ROM's) assets to a select few games (importantly, access with permission).

So for just a small handful of games I have the original samples at 44,100 Hz. Everything else I have to get the way that the masses have been getting them.

The DK Rap sounds are unfortunately not in my handful.

This is why my GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark releases are advertised as CD-quality while these new releases are only touted as "HQ" or "high quality".
But, as you can tell from the Mario Kart 64 sample I linked, "high" quality is significantly higher than anything that has ever been released so far.

L. Spiro
Old 30th March 2018, 07:14 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Wow,an ex-Squeenix dev! (sorry for the naming,blame Vinesauce Vinny)

Sorry for all the questions,I can't resist asking them in case there might be some cool details you know about or nice insights.

Do you happen to know precisely who exactly pulled the plug on the Chrono Trigger HD/3D fan remake?
Also a shame that those original crisp backgrounds for one of the Final Fantasy games were deleted where they would've been used in the HD remastered game. (not much of a FF player/missed out on it)
I had the most off-beat game though,Crystal Chronicles but got stuck on some timed puzzle that required more than 1 player or the character types that weren't the one I chose and I couldn't figure out how to pull that off then stopped playing that game altogether.

I think SquareEnix should've taken the same conditions that Nintendo did with the AM2R game and make their own ultra HD Chrono Trigger remake with full 3D at fluid 60fps and maybe with cel-shading and potentially with Akira Toriyama jumping onto it to make the graphics again,likely in the style of the latest DBZ games or the latest movie/s,if that could happen.

And since Cloud was in Smash 4,maybe an HD remake of Super Mario RPG could be done eventually if Nintendo went on-board with it.
Geno in Smash 5,PLEASE?!

So many games deserve proper true HD remakes/remasters while staying mostly faithful to the original stuff (SM64 anyone?). (something you can say that Secret of Mana remake did not accomplish IMO,a handful of songs are faithful and some almost outshine the original tracks while the rest of them are all over the place with crazy dub-step and some are way different)
Old 31st March 2018, 02:09 AM

And also for your thread, I remembered a video of i saw since 2 years ago.
https://youtu.be/4GWwNld1a-Q