Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Issues

Old 12th June 2014, 01:41 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure I used pretty much the same settings for each version of rice. The thing about his plugin, after doing experiments is that some parts of a game may work better on OpenGL, other parts will work better on D3D. The later versions of Rice (like the beta) have a better overall D3D though, while the OpenGL hasn't improved much.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/35r4i0ac6h...eoDX9.dll?dl=1

Fair warning, I couldn't even run the plugin on a different laptop I tried. If it works, let me know lol. It's pretty buggy though btw. You can't remove the frame limiter without using a program like cheat engine. i've been trying to find the problem, but idk DX that well. No one has been able to / care enough to help me . Still despite the timing issues, it's definitely worth using if you can't get 60fps otherwise.

My recommendation is to only use this DX9 when you really need performance.
Old 12th June 2014, 02:22 AM

I will pop in my suggestion: If the OpenGL graphics are bugging out, chances are your video card doesn't support anything above 2.0. I found this out by first testing Rice OGL on my mini laptop (it was the most seizure-inducing flicker you will ever see! The textures were also missing too) then on my big laptop (PERFECT! Except billboard trees on SSB64 DK level were screwed up...) And DirectX performs awesome on both laptops. this gave me the indicator to assume that my mini doesn't support anything above 1.1.

So if you are having graphics issues like the flicker in OpenGL, I suggest disabling OpenGL and use DX instead.

@RPGMaster: If you are trying to code for DX9, I heard that was really hard to do. And, um... DX10? That might be easier to use, except that it would only work with more modern computers.
Old 12th June 2014, 02:30 AM

Here is the list of glitches I have found in default plugins when running SSB:
  • Billboards are often oriented incorrectly, and can make the shields look squashed. I used Jabo 1.6.1 to fix it. Another fix for 1.5 is to use Direct3D transform option in advanced settings, which fixes the billboards.
  • Certain graphical effects, such as transitions at the end of a level, were missing. the background was also missing whether I finished a one-player stage. this is because all of these use the framebuffer, and is obviously fixed with "Copy FB to RDRAM" option.
  • When the character gets a hammer or a superstar, they don't flash. I am not sure why this is. the fix? i have no idea, I need to do more experimentation to figure out the underlying cause.
Another thing: the GameFAQ message in the main PJ64 window reports "Video: Graphics issues: various" but when I look in there, the entry for SSB has nothing in it!
Old 12th June 2014, 02:31 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyQuills View Post
I will pop in my suggestion: If the OpenGL graphics are bugging out, chances are your video card doesn't support anything above 2.0. I found this out by first testing Rice OGL on my mini laptop (it was the most seizure-inducing flicker you will ever see! The textures were also missing too) then on my big laptop (PERFECT! Except billboard trees on SSB64 DK level were screwed up...) And DirectX performs awesome on both laptops. this gave me the indicator to assume that my mini doesn't support anything above 1.1.

So if you are having graphics issues like the flicker in OpenGL, I suggest disabling OpenGL and use DX instead.

@RPGMaster: If you are trying to code for DX9, I heard that was really hard to do. And, um... DX10? That might be easier to use, except that it would only work with more modern computers.
I do think some of my problems are hardware related. For instance, rice video crashes on this computer, but on other computers I've used, it never crashed.

I haven't actually changed any code in Rice's plugin yet. I've just been reading it trying to see what could cause it to lock the fps at 60. Sad thing is, it actually makes the fps dip below 60, despite it being the fastest plugin I've ever seen.

Others have also mentioned that Rice's OpenGL strongly needs improvement.

Funny thing is Rice 5.5.1 and below, display SSB64's stages more correctly than the later versions. It's going to be a pain sorting through a ton of code, trying to fix things.
Old 12th June 2014, 03:01 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I get the same slow performance with your plugin.
Maybe Dolphin Emulator's plugin is more cutting edge,or their OpenGL is just slow too.
If only it didn't require the software vertex clipping to be enabled at all times for fixing glitchy skyboxes.

Since you are working on 1964 video/rice,maybe you can fix 6.1.4's OpenGL issues like graphics display failures (it just randomly loses most graphics before eventually restoring them,only to happen again),and the missing graphics for pause menus and other stuff like the JiggyWiggy Challenges.
It also most likely loses graphics when loading a savestate or resetting.

If the OpenGL graphic display issues can be dealt with,it can finally be fast and stable(enough).
Old 12th June 2014, 03:17 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Mind = blown tbh. That's weird how it works so good on mine and not yours.

I guess hardware does make a difference. I'll try getting more people to test this DX9 build.

That losing graphics problem you mentioned happens on almost every opengl plugin. There's one (VERY GHETTO) fix for it. If the first plugin you load is z64gl, any opengl plugin afterwards will not have the graphic issue after restarting. Later on I'll try and see how to fix that reseting problem.

Idk if I could do much to improve Rice's Open GL.

Have you tried mupen64plus's Rice video?
Old 12th June 2014, 06:35 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

No I have not.
Which build of Mupen should I get it from?

What is different in that version of Rice?
Old 12th June 2014, 07:11 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroben View Post
No I have not.
Which build of Mupen should I get it from?

What is different in that version of Rice?
Lol idr where I got mine from. But I downloaded mupen64plus, then downloaded winmupen.exe and put it in the same directory as mupen64plus.

Well Mupen64plus's rice is pure opengl and some people modified it, not sure if it's still bad, or if my computer is bad. Maybe both xD.

You should try that method i mentioned for fixing the black screen issue with OGL plugins.
Old 12th June 2014, 07:55 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I never get black screen issues,just the disappearing textures,map pieces,and models.
Only part of them disappear,and the visual effect of changing areas also goes missing.

Most other OpenGL plugins like "Jabo's OpenGL" use that stupid manual Ucode selection which makes most games such as Banjo-Tooie not run at all.
glN64 has a checkbox for automatic which makes Banjo-Tooie runnable.
Rice is smart by not having any Ucode selection at all.

Maybe the black screen issue is caused by the "Frame Update at:" in current game settings.
I use "At VI origin update" for Banjo-Tooie to see the shadows properly on OpenGL Mudlord Rice.
If it is set to Default or "Before clear the screen",you will get a black screen.
Try using my choice for working shadows or "At the 1st CI change" to make it display properly.

Edit:I got the code google copy of mupen64plus 32bit Windows and I can't get the plugin to appear in PJ64.
I hate it when that happens.

Last edited by retroben; 12th June 2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12th June 2014, 08:10 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Ok well my issue is that with most OGL plugins, when I reset a game, or even with some plugins I get it when loading a save state (like glN64). if I load a game with zgl64, exit game and switch plugins, it fixes the problem for me on all ogl plugins, except for rice.

Also you should try Rice 6.1.1 beta. That one has the fastest OGL I've ever seen. I will test it shortly with Banjo Tooie.

Oh the plugin isn't compatible with Pj64, i forgot to mention that. I just wanted to see if that plugin works good (accuracy wise) on other people's machines. It looks bugged on mine.