Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2014, 06:33 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
What you're saying makes sense. Ironically SSB64 intro was more out of sync (sound wise), when I set jabo to sync audio. I like to use the intro as a test since it is buggy with a lot of plugins & emulators. I pay close attention to Master Hand in the intro.

If Shunyuan's plugin works well, then wouldn't 1964 be good too? You don't have to post videos, unless others want to see it.
Okay good, glad I wasn't hallucinating/imagining those issues. haven't tried 1964 Audio with PJ64, but I'd assume it would work perfectly fine. Yeah, the DK Rap, SSB64 intro, etc are out of sync. Another game to test is Ridge Racer 64, with sync, the VI/s drop to 45-50, yeah, it's bad. What can I do to further test this issue, screenshots, recordings? It's weird indeed. I'll try 1964 Audio (assuming it works in PJ64). Just to be sure I use the right version, where can you actually get the most up to date 1964 Audio? Can't seem to find any downloads for it. Could you point me in the right direction? It is called 1964audio.dll?
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way

Last edited by the_randomizer; 18th May 2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 18th May 2014, 06:43 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

As far as testing sound, idk what else there is to test besides intros, other parts of a game that are difficult to run properly, and paying close attention to the sound quality. I have yet to do tests with 1964. Sorry, idk where to get the latest version of 1964 audio. My only guess is to download 1964. I'm probably going to run tests later on to see if 1964 is better than PJ64 for the games I play.

Oh another thing about sound is, it might be different on different emulators. For instance, Pj64 1.6 had the best sound, out of all the PJ64's I've tried. So keep that in mind. You should use a hotkey to reset the emulator and load a save state, if you have to constantly switch settings that don't take effect until after you reset the game.
Old 18th May 2014, 06:48 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
As far as testing sound, idk what else there is to test besides intros, other parts of a game that are difficult to run properly, and paying close attention to the sound quality. I have yet to do tests with 1964. Sorry, idk where to get the latest version of 1964 audio. My only guess is to download 1964. I'm probably going to run tests later on to see if 1964 is better than PJ64 for the games I play.

Oh another thing about sound is, it might be different on different emulators. For instance, Pj64 1.6 had the best sound, out of all the PJ64's I've tried. So keep that in mind. You should use a hotkey to reset the emulator and load a save state, if you have to constantly switch settings that don't take effect until after you reset the game.
Just tried the plugin, the ROM failed to initialize. Dammit, guess I can't test the plugin after all. Bollocks. Maybe it only runs on PJ64 1.6 and not 2.0.

Edit: Yep, it won't work on 2.0, works fine on 1.6
http://www.emulation64.com/files/getdownload/936/

Edit 2: Kinda works, it loads the ROMs, but now I get silence....WTF? I think I'm using the wrong plugin. Only other plugin I see is something called schiboAud.dll. Some games seem to "hang" and just take a long time to initialize.

Last edited by the_randomizer; 18th May 2014 at 06:55 AM.
Old 18th May 2014, 09:29 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Sorry it will take me a while to test. I've been busy testing out a bunch fo plugins, settings, emulators, and I've been modifying 1.6's source code. It's very challenging to make changes that don't break anything else. I've been trying to remove code bloat and possibly speed it up. So far, I've been successful in removing some bloat at least . I'm not so sure about speed gains though. I don't see much of a difference. I also wanted to see if I could make pj 1.7 and 2.0 plugins work on 1.6, but no luck so far. Someone claim that they hacked Jabo D3D8 1.7.0.46, it actually works on pj64 1.6, but I'm wondering if they really hacked the plugin or if it already worked to begin with. If it was truly hacked, then it would be likely possible to use other 1.7 / 2.x gfx plugins on older emulators.

Sometime this week, I will test out 1964 audio. If it doesn't work, at the very least, I'll test it out on the 1964 emulator.
Old 18th May 2014, 10:47 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Sorry it will take me a while to test. I've been busy testing out a bunch fo plugins, settings, emulators, and I've been modifying 1.6's source code. It's very challenging to make changes that don't break anything else. I've been trying to remove code bloat and possibly speed it up. So far, I've been successful in removing some bloat at least . I'm not so sure about speed gains though. I don't see much of a difference. I also wanted to see if I could make pj 1.7 and 2.0 plugins work on 1.6, but no luck so far. Someone claim that they hacked Jabo D3D8 1.7.0.46, it actually works on pj64 1.6, but I'm wondering if they really hacked the plugin or if it already worked to begin with. If it was truly hacked, then it would be likely possible to use other 1.7 / 2.x gfx plugins on older emulators.

Sometime this week, I will test out 1964 audio. If it doesn't work, at the very least, I'll test it out on the 1964 emulator.
I finally got 1964 audio to work on PJ64 1.6, it has strange behavior, ROM boot initialization takes abnormally long, but they do eventually load, I haven't had time to actually test them as I had other obligations to tend to. With that said, I can test them, my GPU plugin of choice is Glide64 (only plugin I've had that renders the skybox in Mystical Ninja 64 at full speed on my end and doesn't have an effed up HUD like Rice Video, but that's another story lol).

The biggest offenders are all Konami games on the N64, with the default sound plugin, they have intermittent skipping (half second or so) every 20-30 seconds with sync to game on. Shunyuan's audio neutralizes this and since it's based off of 1964 audio, the results should be identical. Will test when I get back. The erratic VI vs FPS counts tell me that there's some seriously messed up underlying issue in the default plugin and a conflict in how it syncs the game to the audio.

Edit: Can't change the settings for the plugin in 1.6, but they show up in 2.0.1, but the plugin fails to initialize. Dammit. Have to fall back to using Shunyuan's, the others fail to work on either version properly. The music is sped up on 1964 audio and I can't adjust the config. I can't test with that plugin at all, this sucks balls.

Last edited by the_randomizer; 18th May 2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 20th May 2014, 12:28 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

So I've been doing sound tests with different emulators, plugins, and settings. SHunyuans plugin isn't even hle LOL. For some reason, I cannot even run the 1964 audio plugin on pj1.6. On the original exe, it won't even show up in the list. On my compiled version, it shows up but has no sound .

So I tested 1964 audio on 1964 1.1. The audio quality sounds better than shunyuans (less crackling in SSB64's intro), but the timing isn't as good unfortunately. Still this means Shun's plugin is not the best .

Last edited by RPGMaster; 20th May 2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 20th May 2014, 12:39 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
So I've been doing sound tests with different emulators, plugins, and settings. SHunyuans plugin isn't even hle LOL. For some reason, I cannot even run the 1964 audio plugin on pj1.6. On the original exe, it won't even show up in the list. On my compiled version, it shows up but has no sound .

So I tested 1964 audio on 1964 1.1. The audio quality sounds better than shunyuans (no crackling in SSB64's intro), but the timing isn't as good unfortunately. Still this means Shun's plugin is not the best .
Of course it's not the best, and I tried 1964 Audio in PJ64 1.6 as well, the damned plugin doesn't even have sound, but it does show up, and it does let me configure it, but no sound. When I try to config the same plugin in 2.0.1, the sodding config window won't even show up but it does work, but I can't stop the crackling. The version I found was 1964 Audio 2.7 or something to that effect (it was in the 1964 1.1 source folder). I don't think 1964 Audio was meant for other emulators since it seems as buggy as hell and refuses to load properly on PJ64, so as of now, I give up on even trying to test it on 1.6 or 2.x.x.

Shunyuan isn't the best plugin, no, but it handles syncing helluva better than the default audio plugin (the whole VI count being lower with sync on than with it off, which is not normal behavior). Konami games no longer jump/skip or crackle intermittently, overall, it seems more stable than Jabo's audio plugin. Too bad it'll never use the XAudio2 API, which is superior to DSound in newer OSes. That alone would help it I'm sure. Not sure where to proceed to be honest, can't get 1964 Audio to work in any version of PJ64, but when it does work, the audio is crackly as hell, can't configure the settings in newer versions but can in older versions, but older emulators don't output sound with said plugins. It's paradoxical. We sorely need a legit plugin with the XAudio2 API, but unfortunately, as one who has no programming skills whatsoever and no knowledge of N64 hardware, I've no right to complain or even suggest the prospect of a new audio plugin...but I digress. It simply won't happen anytime soon, if ever.

I'm sticking to Shunyuan's audio plugin in the mean despite being very convoluted and for being a Frankenstein plugin if you will. I can't contribute a damned thing to this project, as sad as that reality is, and even if I could, I don't have a clue what that would be.

Last edited by the_randomizer; 20th May 2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 20th May 2014, 12:55 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_randomizer View Post
Of course it's not the best, and I tried 1964 Audio in PJ64 1.6 as well, the damned plugin doesn't even have sound, but it does show up, and it does let me configure it, but no sound.
1964Audio is a HLE audio plugin. It does have sound, but you can't hear it while running in LLE audio mode. You have to configure the RSP plugin to forward HLE requests for audio to the audio plugin.

I was going to tell you to think of it like setting up LLE gfx instead of HLE gfx, but then I forgot you have little to no experience with that either. It's a shame Shunyuan's build of angrylion's LLE plugin didn't require tricking the RSP into thinking it's an HLE one instead, or you might have gotten used to this by now.

Enough of this dead topic already. If you guys want me to reply, find some other thread to bump and I'll answer you there.
Old 20th May 2014, 01:15 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
1964Audio is a HLE audio plugin. It does have sound, but you can't hear it while running in LLE audio mode. You have to configure the RSP plugin to forward HLE requests for audio to the audio plugin.

I was going to tell you to think of it like setting up LLE gfx instead of HLE gfx, but then I forgot you have little to no experience with that either. It's a shame Shunyuan's build of angrylion's LLE plugin didn't require tricking the RSP into thinking it's an HLE one instead, or you might have gotten used to this by now.

Enough of this dead topic already. If you guys want me to reply, find some other thread to bump and I'll answer you there.
Dammit, and I totally made a jackass outta myself yet again That's what I get for being an accursed noob Which version is the most up to date version of 1964 Audio? I just enabled the HLE Audio function in PJ64 2.0.1, didn't do a bloody thing, still can't open up the configuration and sounds horrible. I've seen both 1.2 and 2.7, which is it? Which one is better? As of yet, I can't configure it at all in the newer PJ64 versions, but in 1.6 I can configure it, but there's no sound, and I can't even force-enable HLE or LLE in 1.6. So, I might as well give up since I'm not getting anywhere with this.

Edit: Force-enabled HLE audio in 2.0.1, nothing. F**k this. This has done nothing but cause me undo frustration and anger, I can't for the life of figure out the right combination in getting this work in either version. 2.7 crashes PJ64 2.0.1 and has no sound in 1.6, it's bullshit.

Last edited by the_randomizer; 20th May 2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 20th May 2014, 09:31 PM

lol emulators
Closed Thread