#1  
Old 10th October 2013, 10:48 AM
dsx_ dsx_ is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,105
Default Farewell pj64-emu

First of all, I'm not pretending that people care about my departure from these forums, but I figured this is better than silently leaving.

I've been using Project64 for about 12 years now, and have been visiting these forums for about 4 of those. For a while it was cool being a part of the community, helping out, finding out new info, but now I'm done.

Lately Project64 is being left to rot, but with the 1.4/1.6/2.x sources out there, hopefully someone will clean it up. I really don't think zilmar should have released 2.0 and 2.1, they have too many problems to be considered public release quality, but feel free to disagree.

Secondly, the forums aren't the ideal place to visit. There's so much anger and abuse going on, so I'm leaving. Apparently, people don't know how to be polite, or deal with a simple disagreement, among other things. Yes I expect I will be told to get used to it, it's the internet; and I am used to it, but I expected better from intelligent people.

I've met a few cool people here and there, but my experience overall has been negative. I'll stick around to check replies to this thread and then I'm postponing any further involvement with this community. I'll see some of you around Emutalk and cen64. Peace!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10th October 2013, 02:40 PM
the_randomizer's Avatar
the_randomizer the_randomizer is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,136
Default

Sorry what? I'm really confused now. As for CEN64, I doubt we will ever see full speed seeing as it's cycle-accurate and all.
__________________
My rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 4470 3.4 GHz to 3.9 GHz
Video card:: MSI nVidia GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10th October 2013, 02:51 PM
MarathonMan's Avatar
MarathonMan MarathonMan is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendo1889 View Post
I doubt we will ever see full speed seeing as it's cycle-accurate and all.
Don't hold your breath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaWTlqzBFvw
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10th October 2013, 03:38 PM
the_randomizer's Avatar
the_randomizer the_randomizer is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarathonMan View Post
Major edit: I was wrong and I won't deny it.
__________________
My rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 4470 3.4 GHz to 3.9 GHz
Video card:: MSI nVidia GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way

Last edited by the_randomizer; 10th October 2013 at 10:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10th October 2013, 08:23 PM
HatCat's Avatar
HatCat HatCat is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In my hat.
Posts: 16,236
Default

I can't understand how admitting to MarathonMan that you already said something tactless would "upset another developer".

In fact, that only suggests you're even more upset to admit you're wrong, than to willingly allow/cause a dev to "rage quit" emulation.

So I guess you'd rather force MarathonMan to rage quit, if you could, and no longer work on his long-time-full-speed cycle-accurate emulator, since obviously he was wrong about CA being a good thing since you refused to reply to his proof?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10th October 2013, 10:28 PM
the_randomizer's Avatar
the_randomizer the_randomizer is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatCat View Post
I can't understand how admitting to MarathonMan that you already said something tactless would "upset another developer".

In fact, that only suggests you're even more upset to admit you're wrong, than to willingly allow/cause a dev to "rage quit" emulation.

So I guess you'd rather force MarathonMan to rage quit, if you could, and no longer work on his long-time-full-speed cycle-accurate emulator, since obviously he was wrong about CA being a good thing since you refused to reply to his proof?
Never admitted I was wrong, in fact, I'm glad that someone pointed it out to me. Only reason why I said what I said is some people have become upset because I stated my opinion on other cycle-accurate emulators like Bsnes/Higan. In fact, Byuu promptly banned me from his forum because he caught wind of my opinion of why I didn't like the system requirements. I know better than that, because MarathonMan is a pretty chill dude He's not that way, but I know of a few other devs would rip me apart for saying their emulator is too slow my PC, or focuses too much on accuracy, etc. That's all I was trying say, just came out wrong lol.
__________________
My rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 4470 3.4 GHz to 3.9 GHz
Video card:: MSI nVidia GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12th October 2013, 09:22 PM
HatCat's Avatar
HatCat HatCat is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In my hat.
Posts: 16,236
Default

That's fine--nothing to be negative about, as long as you understand.

After all I can think of a few members here who would flame you if they were developers, just because they don't like disagreements.

Fortunately they do seem to be gradually leaving this forum, which without zilmar is dead anyway.
For years, I really had no intention of ever coming back here, or uploading my emulators to people.
Just, zilmar wanted me to help with the project, and I still respect his wishes and the assistance he gave me.
So I guess that's what keeps me here, considering technically I never registered here.

Also, I really don't have any disagreements with you (except maybe the sync audio preference), but I will not stand for the type of behavior I saw before. People should be respected equally, whether active developers or otherwise good people. I have some issues with this rule myself, but for the most part: Treat other people how you want to be treated. That's all I ask.

But you're one of few people on this forum who doesn't get all contemptuous and arrogant for no valid reason at the sight of other people arguing with one another, whose arguments don't concern you in the least, so I suppose that's always a plus.

You also feel no need to express ABUSIVE WRITING IN CAPITAL LETTERS IN SEVERAL TEXTS, unlike um only 1 person I can remember?
So, yeah. Like most people here, you're not abusive. Not even Shunyuan abuses members like that.
I am however brutal and overly aggressive as a leader.

I am also going to continue to be straightforward and honest on this forum.
Because honesty and justice matter 10x more than either being "intelligent" people or talking behind everyone's back like a coward.
Two entirely separate things--some people confuse them.

I must admit, you deserve at least some credit for not having that problem.
That being said I appreciate some of the ideas/testing you did when I was doing RSP.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12th October 2013, 10:18 PM
the_randomizer's Avatar
the_randomizer the_randomizer is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,136
Default

Well, I'm trying to do better to not be so negative or contemptuous and I admit, it's not easy to not give in to anger or frustration, but something I'm striving to fix I'm glad that my tests did help to some degree, but I kinda wish I did more testing, maybe it would have helped further progress on you plugin

I never knew you left these forums, I just assumed you've been here throughout all the crazy crap PJ64 has been through (the beta testing, the hiatus it went through, etc), but you learn something new everyday. I do need to be more careful about getting caught up in discussions that don't involve me, but I say what I can when I can, and that too is something I plan on improving. But yeah, people who type their rage in all caps really pisses me off and is completely unnecessary.

Nothing wrong with being honest and true, in fact, we need more people like that in the emulation scene, it's a trend that we need more of IMHO. But yeah, if you ever need me to do more testing, let me know
__________________
My rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 4470 3.4 GHz to 3.9 GHz
Video card:: MSI nVidia GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12th October 2013, 10:55 PM
HatCat's Avatar
HatCat HatCat is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In my hat.
Posts: 16,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendo1889 View Post
Well, I'm trying to do better to not be so negative or contemptuous and I admit, it's not easy to not give in to anger or frustration, but something I'm striving to fix I'm glad that my tests did help to some degree, but I kinda wish I did more testing, maybe it would have helped further progress on you plugin
There is just so much stuff.
I don't think that after a point, testing could ever make much difference.
That was my initial reason for uploading was so people could test for issues.
But to have gotten the interpreter CPU as fast as the recompiler, just took so much trial.

So yeah, if you ever do try your hand at this stuff, like you said you might after your job and such.
Be prepared to take a disappointingly large portion of your real life away. D:


They say that "knowing/learning" is half the battle.
Well, just because you know how to do something, does not make 0.2% of the stress over, or even the learning for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendo1889 View Post
I never knew you left these forums, I just assumed you've been here throughout all the crazy crap PJ64 has been through (the beta testing, the hiatus it went through, etc), but you learn something new everyday.
Sort of.

Actually hiatus started sometime mid-2007 after my account was made.
Never started leaving until I saw Smiff blow everything out of proportion in 2009.

But I begin to sympathize with how strongly Gent, RadeonUser, Witten felt about their generation that it stuck as pride when this forum started to become nothing but a shell of new friendships taking priority over this project.

If anything, it's partly Mdkcheatz's fault I'm still on this forum.
If he'd have never blurted it out to zilmar that I was studying RCP things, I possibly would never have had any programming discussions with zilmar or be unbanned.

[Conversely, it's his own damn fault I was banned to begin with. He actually got Gent mad at me because I think Gent was depressed over some things. I was never trying to make them worse, but, I did get mad back.]
But that's okay, couldn't really say I missed anyone. :3
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12th October 2013, 11:53 PM
the_randomizer's Avatar
the_randomizer the_randomizer is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,136
Default

Huh, wasn't aware of those uh, interesting situations, and I've been technically a member since 2008, but haven't been active until beginning of last year, so I missed a lot of the drama (thank goodness)

I respect Zilmar a lot since he's pretty much the only maintainer for PJ64, I hope that he does pop in every now and then to check on things, but I guess his life got pretty busy

I don't know those devs personally, so yeah, I don't know what exactly happened, but from what I gathered, it wasn't pretty.
__________________
My rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 4470 3.4 GHz to 3.9 GHz
Video card:: MSI nVidia GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.