Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Issues

Old 23rd November 2014, 10:49 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Default Problem with CPU core Recompiler & Protect Memory

When using both of these, it causes problems in certain games. For instance, Jet Force Gemini has issues with SP DMA. The odd thing is that while running the game, it may be unnoticable on certain RSPs, but if you debug it, you can see that there's a problem. Idk why the "CN64System::RunRSP Run Unknown memory action" error message will only pop up if you write the DMA code a certain way. For instance with Ziggy's Pj64 1.4 RSP, the error message will not show if you defined RSP_SAFE_DMA, but if you use _try{}_except() the error will always be exposed, regardless of RSP as well.

This is the reason why some people were unable to play Super Smash Bros with any Pixel Accurate plugin. Simply disabling protect memory, or using interpreter solves this issue. Fortunately I do not think Super Smash Bros needs Protect Memory so I just disabled that.
Old 27th November 2014, 10:29 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

I just tested Mickey's Speedway USA and it has a similar problem to Jet Force Gemini. I have no idea why using different methods for SP DMA make a difference as to whether the CN64 Error appears or not, even though they essentially do the same thing.

So as usual, I used _try{} __except() to ensure that I can see when something goes wrong. Simply using interpreter or disabling protect memory solves the issue. So there must be something wrong with the combination of cpu-recompiler & protect memory both being enabled. For Mickey, the error happens in SP_DMA_WRITE. This happens when using either LLE gfx or LLE audio.

Bio freaks also has some DMA issue, although I have not found a way to get that one working without errors. Nothing I could do to get rid of the errors. In this game, the error happens in SP_DMA_READ, but it only happens when using LLE gfx.
Old 28th November 2014, 12:56 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

because 2.x is an unfinished beta