Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Suggestions

Old 1st November 2014, 09:33 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally123 View Post
If it helps, I partially solved the brassy noise problem...I mounted my front center stereo speaker on two halves of an empty double pack of Trident White. It took care of the vibration issues, but still sounds a bit brassy in the mid tones. I will experiment with another speaker I have that is a bit larger when I can find a place for it. Maybe an equalizer setting should help a bit.
Ok cool. I wanted to fix solve some issues first . I'll get back to you soon though.
Quote:
I for one think it wise to make an RSP plugin that has a menu which allows one to enable or disable certain audio filters. I prefer HLE because it allows for the use of high quality sounds and filters that LLE might not be able to take care of.
Not exactly sure what you're talking about here, but if you're saying what I think you're saying, then that would make the RSP no longer LLE . Not necessarily a bad thing, but just saying. I've actually implemented some options, (just for performance though). HLE seems interesting to me, but it doesn't seem like anyone wants to work with me on that, so I kinda gave up and did LLE instead, which I'm doing very well on my own.
Quote:
I agree with both you and HatCat in that while it is a good thing to accurately emulate the N64, it is also equally important to code PJ64 so that it is working at a palatable speed. It is of my opinion that you are both right and may not realize it...and it is because I see the common ground between accuracy and speed. The controller timing needs to be accurate...the game play timings for each trigger button need to be accurate. However, I also agree that, for now, the rsp audio audio needs to be fast (whether LLE MME or HLE), the graphics need to be able to be tweaked so that people can find what works best for their systems (how could one not want a 4k resolution???).
My argument basically was to implement an option to disable some accuracy improvements, since at the time of creating this thread, it seemed to me that the recompiler implementation of those 2 features were not 100% stable. If HatCat's right that Rogue Squadron's not fully working, even if you disable the 2 things, then my suggestion probably isn't that important. Since idk any other games yet, with this issue. But to be fair, I don't test PJ64 2.1's RSP too much, especially since a lot of games I was interested in, didn't work, until i recently fixed em .

Now that I think about it, I only recently implemented those 2 things in my fork, since I used ziggy's pj64 rsp as a base for the recompiler structure. Not only did playing WDC expose some bugs I had, Super Smash Bros had some weird bugs that were not visible when the CPU-RSP synchronization wasn't implemented. So assuming RS is indeed the only game with this issue, it is indeed not the 2 features that are to blame. Weird how using the Clang compiler also exposed 2 issues.
Quote:
To be short...I think that we need to focus on how the each of the games feel to play before we jump too heavily into the obsessive machine accuracy that seems to bog down Dolphin quite badly.
I would not worry about that. For one, it seems that a lot of people here, have better hardware than I do, which is good news! Second, with certain individuals working on optimizations, things will only get better, not worse.

Quote:
The only issue I have with SSB is that the PS2 Dualshock Controller's design is not at all suitable for it. It works perfectly fine for me.
Lol, I was talking about with LLE graphics. HLE has always worked, for Smash Brothers.

Last edited by RPGMaster; 1st November 2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 2nd November 2014, 04:18 AM

I can tell you right now that Rogue Squadron for N64 never has worked, that it certainly doesn't work now...and I don't think it ever will due in part to Factor 5's unique Mosy5 sound engine being hard coded via a separate chip in the game's cartridge that also serves to prevent a full ROM dump from happening.

~Groucho Marx
Old 2nd November 2014, 05:57 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
I can tell you right now that Rogue Squadron for N64 never has worked, that it certainly doesn't work now
okay now i know youre trolling
Old 2nd November 2014, 06:04 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

But it's true!

Rogue Squadron can't be emulated properly because the MousyX sound engine was on a separate chip, so the full ROM image couldn't be dumped. (Right, Wally?)
Old 2nd November 2014, 06:08 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
I don't think it ever will due in part to Factor 5's unique Mosy5 sound engine being hard coded via a separate chip in the game's cartridge that also serves to prevent a full ROM dump from happening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q64hTNEj6KQ

haha she said vagina

Isn't that funny?
Old 2nd November 2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsx_ View Post
okay now i know youre trolling
Unfortunately I am not attempting to.

~Groucho Marx
Old 2nd November 2014, 11:49 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

How is that unfortunate?

You mean unfortunate for him? Or did you just get trolled by an avatar with a female in it?
Old 3rd November 2014, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
How is that unfortunate?

You mean unfortunate for him? Or did you just get trolled by an avatar with a female in it?
Unfortunate for the person who thinks I'm trolling I believe :-) The reason I know it won't work is because the developer Factor5 was DRM crazy in its code. As far as code is concerned, there is almist no distinction between the PC and N64 versions of the game.

On the PC version, they have several dummy files on the disc that when copied, prevent the copy disc from running the game...all it will do is install, and you must have the original specific disc of the game in order to play it. Most of the game is a flight engine that creates terrain out of byte code and low poly and low res ships and textures moving around. The only real distinctions between the PC and N64 version are audio sample quality (the PC version is 44KHz at 16bit...N64 16KHz at 16-bit), and PC version having Direct Input. The DRM and sound affects are linked together by the byte code in those dummy files...so even if we managed to make a ROM dump of it work, we'd have blank screens and some audio (PC) or a functioning screen and no sound.

Now here's the best (and what I mean is I "worst") part...That previously mentioned byte code...the one linking the audio to those dummy files...is unique per each copy of the game...which means we'd have to know the key or random number generator they used to make each copy unique...

~Groucho Marx
Old 3rd November 2014, 02:22 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Unfortunate for the person who thinks I'm trolling I believe :-) The reason I know it won't work is because the developer Factor5 was DRM crazy in its code. As far as code is concerned, there is almist no distinction between the PC and N64 versions of the game.

On the PC version, they have several dummy files on the disc that when copied, prevent the copy disc from running the game...all it will do is install, and you must have the original specific disc of the game in order to play it. Most of the game is a flight engine that creates terrain out of byte code and low poly and low res ships and textures moving around. The only real distinctions between the PC and N64 version are audio sample quality (the PC version is 44KHz at 16bit...N64 16KHz at 16-bit), and PC version having Direct Input. The DRM and sound affects are linked together by the byte code in those dummy files...so even if we managed to make a ROM dump of it work, we'd have blank screens and some audio (PC) or a functioning screen and no sound.

Now here's the best (and what I mean is I "worst") part...That previously mentioned byte code...the one linking the audio to those dummy files...is unique per each copy of the game...which means we'd have to know the key or random number generator they used to make each copy unique...
Lol where do you get this information from? Dead serious.

I suggest you actually try some of these things out, before believing in these big theories. It's clear that you never use LLE gfx.

Anyway, I've played through first level in recompiler, seems good so far.
Old 3rd November 2014, 02:31 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
sound affects
You spelled "effects" wrong.