Old 9th December 2008, 05:15 AM
Project Supporter

I'm of the opinion that it should be an option when one installs the program. If the install is done in "portable" mode, like to a pen drive directory, then the saves would be in the application. If not, then the application should store settings in the User Directory.

Also, a lot of programs I've seen tend to allow the user to choose between saving settings per-user, or saving settings globally. This is done at install time, but you could also do it from within the application. You could save a "global" set of the settings, and then per user decide whether to use the global setting or a user defined setting.

But those are just my ideas. I think the simplest solution right now would be to allow the installer to choose between the user directory or the application directory.

-gamefreak
Old 15th December 2008, 12:08 AM
Project Supporter

I say keep the old format of no installation needed. and single self contained directory.

I don't like having to deal with installs and registry etc.. to run a program.

the program is small anyway. every user can just make a new directory and unzip PJ64 there and run it as their own.

with the days of 500Gig HD being norm what's an extra 10-15 megs per user to have their own directory of the program.

even if you have like 100 users on a single PC. that would be 1gb anyway not really that bad.

it works and it's simple.

I like my games having it's own directory and everything in it. it makes moving and uninstallating much easier.
lets focus on making the emulation better instead of making things easier/complicated for idiots that for one reason or another can't run it

Last edited by geniv; 15th December 2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 15th December 2008, 09:32 AM
Project Supporter

I agree with geniv all the way, the more you mess with Registry and Files Permission stuff the more complicated it becomes and pulls it apart from the emulation issues that still need working besides adding a layer of trouble for the final user.
Old 16th December 2008, 02:22 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Arrow

I have always used this Directory Structure:
C:\EmulatorsRoms\"ConsoleType"(which is where the Primary Emulator will be stored)\.
.\(Extra Emulators in there own Directories)
.\ROM|ISO|Card(vba) to store the rom and image files. (FOR SNES it stores most types, ROMS, SRM, SaveStates, and Cheat files

.\(For N64/GBA/Genesis, etc Seperate Directories are used to store
for Genesis I use something like this...... sorry I'm not at home I just can't seem to remember off the top of my head.

I like it the way it is, with me having the options to tell PJ64 exactly where I want it to store/retrieve the Emu files.
Old 18th December 2008, 08:53 AM

- config files should be saved in %appdata% (C:\Users\userName\AppData\Local\Project64)
- the ROMS should be placed in the user's documents folder (C:\Users\userName\Documents\Project64 ROMS)
Old 18th December 2008, 02:04 PM

Default PortapleApps

I think you shoul think about working together with PortableApps about penstick version.
Old 18th December 2008, 10:27 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd View Post
- config files should be saved in %appdata% (C:\Users\userName\AppData\Local\Project64)
- the ROMS should be placed in the user's documents folder (C:\Users\userName\Documents\Project64 ROMS)
Thats fine if there are multiply users on the same PC using the emulator.
but If anything ever happens to the system and you have to reinstall the OS the "Documents and Settings" folder will get deleted. I NEveR put anything in the folder with the exception of programs that won't let me put it any where else. Setting Files should always be located with the program itself.
Old 19th December 2008, 05:39 PM
Project Supporter

I say keep it all in one folder, it's easier to keep track of and delete all if I want to. I know how to take care of my saves. Just keep it all in the same folder.
Old 20th December 2008, 07:31 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzeroceania View Post
I say keep it all in one folder, it's easier to keep track of and delete all if I want to. I know how to take care of my saves. Just keep it all in the same folder.
Hmmm, all my saves are kept in the default save folder. being a Vista-hater, I don't really have any problem with it being that way
Old 21st December 2008, 02:20 PM

Hey folks

I have always liked the idea of having portability and not having to worry if there are settings and other info scattered throughout the system. So it would be good to use the current style of saving everything to the PJ64 directory so that you can move the folder anywhere you want without the need to set things up again. It's always good to know exactly where your files are being saved, and the ability to change them how one sees fit.

Also, pj64 doesn't really need an installer. I prefer to just unzip things to where the user chooses. I don't mind installers as long as everything that get's installed, also gets removed too with the uninstaller. I've seen lots of apps leave files behind. Mostly shortcut files in the start menu cause someone has changed the folder path to the shortcuts in the start menu. So, if anyone has uninstalled an app with shortcuts and has moved them from where they were placed originally, you need to delete them manually.

Home directory is where things should be stored, and being able to change the save paths in the emu is still good practice.

Tags
features