Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v1.6

Old 3rd December 2010, 10:01 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Hm, well MSN is possible, or you can upload the file to a site like filesend.net.

Basically I have just been waiting for the attachment to get approved.

Honestly I don't know of other software that uses dsound except the DirectSound output plugin that comes installed with Winamp; if you don't have Winamp installing it can be a little formal, might annoy you. It is an advanced audio player though supporting plugins, just like an N64 emulator does, so I guess it might be worth a try. Their site has an installer and asks you a few things, but you don't have to enter the personal stuff at the end.
Old 4th December 2010, 08:07 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Sounds like you're playing the PAL version.

If you're using Mario Kart 64 (E) then that might make it worse. With sync game to audio checked or unchecked it should sound better on Mario Kart 64 (U) or (J).

Based on the WAV you recorded, though, I'd say you're better off using zilmar's Audio Plugin. When setting plugins for Project64 in Options/Settings... there should be a sound-processing unit called "zilmar's audio plugin" or something like that. Pick that, and in the configuration for it in sound plugin settings when the game is running, there should be a Prebuffering slider. Turn this all the way up to the right for minimal crackling with a little lagging or all the way down to the left for no lagging with much crackling.
Old 5th December 2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswedlow View Post
Sounds like you're playing the PAL version.

If you're using Mario Kart 64 (E) then that might make it worse. With sync game to audio checked or unchecked it should sound better on Mario Kart 64 (U) or (J).

Based on the WAV you recorded, though, I'd say you're better off using zilmar's Audio Plugin. When setting plugins for Project64 in Options/Settings... there should be a sound-processing unit called "zilmar's audio plugin" or something like that. Pick that, and in the configuration for it in sound plugin settings when the game is running, there should be a Prebuffering slider. Turn this all the way up to the right for minimal crackling with a little lagging or all the way down to the left for no lagging with much crackling.
Thanks alot for all the help so far first of all.

I got both the E and U version, (when using jabo's sound plugin no difference in the crackling/ticking between the 2 versions).

Il give what you said a shot.
Old 5th December 2010, 12:17 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Alright got it. Basically the (U) version should in theory have 120% the amount of audio data to write back of the (E) version, but the sound clicking is terrible either way.

Oh and it's what I do here heh so yeah thank you too for your patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
As for 1964, i coudnt actually get it to install correctly , i normaly dont even use installers (kinda dislike em ), but can try again if you think it be of big help? (perhaps you got just a zip/rar version?)
Yeah there's a RAR archive of 1964 1.1 here.
http://1964emu.emulation64.com/download.htm

I know it says 1964 1.1 "source", but in the release folders and stuff is the compiled version of 1964 version 1.1 that you can just extract from the RAR to wherever you want the emulator to be installed.
Old 5th December 2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswedlow View Post
Alright got it. Basically the (U) version should in theory have 120% the amount of audio data to write back of the (E) version, but the sound clicking is terrible either way.

Oh and it's what I do here heh so yeah thank you too for your patience.

Yeah there's a RAR archive of 1964 1.1 here.

I know it says 1964 1.1 "source", but in the release folders and stuff is the compiled version of 1964 version 1.1 that you can just extract from the RAR to wherever you want the emulator to be installed.
Hm had a hard time getting the 1964 to work propperly, (it would load roms but i had to use jabo display plugin to even get it to boot up and then still had no display), eitherway so i coudnt test much, the sound had the same issues if i disabled the sync but more extreme this time.

Also tried winamp, no issues there at all.

Edit: double post inc, for some reason my post had to be mod accepted due to the link in the qoute =.='
Old 5th December 2010, 07:24 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I guess I should stop posting links in support threads. I forgot that under quote tags the link scan is done all the same.

Heh I forgot that installing 1964 1.1 would add another audio plugin with sync support. I was thinking you could test Azimer's HLE on 1964 with emulate/simulate AI unchecked and see if that made it worse, better or the same as when you tested the plugin on Project64. That option should always be unchecked, but the "Dynamic Audio Sync" and "Force Old School Audio Sync" options may be experimented with as far as just the crackling itself. Turning the first one off though sounds bad otherwise.

Well, more the point, the general trend that these emulator configurations aren't helping the sound clicking issue you've had ever since some software change to your operating system is becoming quote obvious. I even looked it up on Google, and there are a few MS support threads about having sound issues with crackling after applying Windows updates.
http://www.google.com/#q="windows+update"+"sound+crackling"
Old 6th December 2010, 12:22 AM

Well i guess il let it be for now, not much i can do more and the problem only seems to effect all n64 emulators.

Thanks alot for all the help and support and if i find a fix il be sure to post it here, il check back t osee if someone has any ideas.

Thanks again rswedlow.
Old 6th December 2010, 01:20 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Yep, probably got to reverse one of the Windows updates that got installed, some of those search links to the MS threads should help with that. They mentioned ideas for where others had sound issues after software updates.

Otherwise in the meantime the irritation can always be fixed using the No Sound plugin eh? If you ever do resolve to what happened though yeah I'd like to know; check back when you can if you find info on that.