Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v1.6

Old 3rd December 2010, 12:40 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

A windows update could have done it; I know I remembered learning that Windows Vista at some point dropped support for some aspect of software acceleration of sound processing.

Installation isn't the only way to change configuration settings.

All of this clicking versus slowdown with just N64 processes could have been because of an RDB configuration all along, which doesn't need installing new software.

Which is why from the sound of it, if I were in your case, I'd try Nemu64 for the N64 emulator, which uses a sound plugin that can't be used with the other emulators.

Last edited by HatCat; 3rd December 2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswedlow View Post
A windows update could have done it; I know I remembered learning that Windows Vista at some point dropped support for some aspect of software acceleration of sound processing.

Installation isn't the only way to change configuration settings.

All of this clicking versus slowdown with just N64 processes could have been because of an RDB configuration all along, which doesn't need installing new software.

Which is why from the sound of it, if I were in your case, I'd try Nemu64 for the N64 emulator, which uses a sound plugin that can't be used with the other emulators.
Well i appreciate the help and i will see what its like but seeing as il still requiere project64 to play online with friends it would only be a solution for playing solo.
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:58 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

disable Fixed Audio timing in the roms settings.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 3rd December 2010, 01:46 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I never said you're stuck with Nemu64; the purpose of testing Nemu64 is to prove whether it's a configuration issue. Apparently squall recognizes that, though I don't think "Fixed Audio Timing" is an RDB control in the public 1.6 version.

Nobody is psychic to the extent of magically being able to correctly assume where your problem started and how to fix it, which is why I linked to Nemu64 to test the issue for more information. I'm not saying, "Use Nemu64 to solve the problem and be done with it;" I'm saying that you need to find more information if you want to know how to fix the issue.
Old 3rd December 2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I never said you're stuck with Nemu64; the purpose of testing Nemu64 is to prove whether it's a configuration issue. Apparently squall recognizes that, though I don't think "Fixed Audio Timing" is an RDB control in the public 1.6 version.

Nobody is psychic to the extent of magically being able to correctly assume where your problem started and how to fix it, which is why I linked to Nemu64 to test the issue for more information. I'm not saying, "Use Nemu64 to solve the problem and be done with it;" I'm saying that you need to find more information if you want to know how to fix the issue.

My apoligies i missunderstood.

Tried nemu64, seems to run allright occasional slowdown but less extreme., with the sync on, with it off game goes super turbo mode but i guess you are aware of that. (with the sync off the noise is there aswell)

Last edited by Nuckels; 3rd December 2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 3rd December 2010, 03:57 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

So the internal frame rate slowdown is greater when using game-to-audio sync with Jabo's DirectSound than with Nemu64 Audio (since you said it was less extreme and occasional)?

Hm, that would mean whatever happened since before the time you had this issue, affected functionality with certain audio devices (one used by Nemu64 audio plug-in versus DirectSound by Jabo for Project64 or Azimer's audio plugins), or there could be some form of internal support possibly within the emulator Nemu64 itself.

Hm, well how noisy is the clicking in the sound each time one "click" happens, and how frequent are the clicks (for example clicks per second etc.)?

Also the aim on this forum is to support Project64, not necessarily other emulators, but I am curious about why if you must use Project64k (which technically might not fall under the category of Project64 either) for playing N64 games online. You should know that Nemu64, 1964 and Mupen64++ all support online N64 NetPlay as well (and with a more stable implementation than what Project64k uses).

^ On which subject, my last question is if you find any improvements with using Azimer's Audio HLE v0.56 WIP 2 plugin on 1964, without the "Force Old School Sync" option checked or the first option unchecked, just "Emulate/Simulate AI" unchecked.
Old 3rd December 2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
So the internal frame rate slowdown is greater when using game-to-audio sync with Jabo's DirectSound than with Nemu64 Audio (since you said it was less extreme and occasional)?

Hm, that would mean whatever happened since before the time you had this issue, affected functionality with certain audio devices (one used by Nemu64 audio plug-in versus DirectSound by Jabo for Project64 or Azimer's audio plugins), or there could be some form of internal support possibly within the emulator Nemu64 itself.

Hm, well how noisy is the clicking in the sound each time one "click" happens, and how frequent are the clicks (for example clicks per second etc.)?

Also the aim on this forum is to support Project64, not necessarily other emulators, but I am curious about why if you must use Project64k (which technically might not fall under the category of Project64 either) for playing N64 games online. You should know that Nemu64, 1964 and Mupen64++ all support online N64 NetPlay as well (and with a more stable implementation than what Project64k uses).

^ On which subject, my last question is if you find any improvements with using Azimer's Audio HLE v0.56 WIP 2 plugin on 1964, without the "Force Old School Sync" option checked or the first option unchecked, just "Emulate/Simulate AI" unchecked.

Both got abit of slowdown, but when using jabo in pj64 it can down to 25fps, this does not happen in nemu.

Also as for what the sound is like , i made a recording (the volume might be abit low but should be able to hear it, its directly recorded from the audio channel btw). The volume of the ticking itself changes depending on the audio, can record more if you want.

As for 1964, i coudnt actually get it to install correctly , i normaly dont even use installers (kinda dislike em ), but can try again if you think it be of big help? (perhaps you got just a zip/rar version?)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mariokart64unsynced audio.zip (1.75 MB, 1 views)
Old 3rd December 2010, 04:40 PM

Hm made a post with attachment to what it sounds like, guess il wait till a mod aproves the post.
Old 3rd December 2010, 04:45 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Can't wait to hear it then, cause if with Jabo's audio sync it can drop to 25 FPS then I imagine it sounds like crap when there is nothing but the standard NTSC 60 VI/s limit on the game's rate.

I would still try the combination with 1964 as mentioned at some point, but I think a Windows update might have done this somehow from the sound of it. Then again it sounds like you don't have many processes that use sound devices like DirectSound besides N64 emulators so hard to see if this happens with other Windows programs when they use it.

Last edited by HatCat; 3rd December 2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 3rd December 2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Can't wait to hear it then, cause if with Jabo's audio sync it can drop to 25 FPS then I imagine it sounds like crap when there is nothing but the standard NTSC 60 VI/s limit on the game's rate.
The recording is without the sync on so you can hear the tick (it gets worse depending on what im doing and i just recorded the intro of mario kart 64, hell anyone who isnt OCD like me could perhaps even deal with it , but it drives me absolutely insane.)

Edit: what else uses it? I could try and see what happens with that, got np downloading somin simple.

If you got msn i can send you the file overthere.

Last edited by Nuckels; 3rd December 2010 at 05:07 PM.