Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 9th January 2009, 06:26 PM

Default Hello! New here and building an arcade cabinet

Hey everyone! I have decided on building a mame arcade cabinet, but as I did more research I decided to make it a multi-emulator cabinet. So far my personal computer (cheap, bought not built) is running mame, nes, snes, and genesis perfectly, as is my really old host computer. My computer does well with Project64, just under full speed. But my host computer is an old 2.0 gig celeron and I am thinking it will throw a fit when I try to run 64 on it.

Before I build the cabinet I need to get this computer rebuilt, running well, and then everything else can happen. Does anyone have any cheap motherboard/processor combos they can recommend? This computer is ONLY going to be used for games in the cabinet btw.

Oh, and for N64 games, I have 4 first-gen xbox controllers modded to go usb into the pc. They are going to be accessible through the coin door. Thanks in advance for any help, I will post pics as I get my project going.
Old 11th January 2009, 09:48 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

there's a couple of options that I could recommend. Firstly, go to delloutlet.com and check out their refurbished desktops. You can often reasonably nice system in the $300 range. That'd be a dual core cpu, 2-3 gigs of memory, a 320 gig harddrive (no monitor included though.). Then pop in a $50 graphics card, and you're set, with a powerful and reliable system, perfect for emulators, and that will last for a long time.

Otherwise if you're really just looking for a mobo/cpu combo, you could look here: http://www.newegg.com/Store/ComboDea...oreID=1&page=1 There's 4 pages of combo deals now, starting at about $100, any of which would be suitable for emulators.