Old 1st July 2009, 10:50 PM

1) That's what I meant. Sorry for the misunderstanding. It installs the Xinput driver from the controller when you plug it in, but the support for the API is built into the OS.
2) I didn't give him any code, I gave him the math (just some basic trig) and a basic transform algorithm and I told him why it needed to be done. In Prince of Persia Sands of Time, and many other games, moving the stick diagonally resulted in ~.707 in both X & Y, which means the character would move slower diagonally than he would straight up/dn or left/right (+/- 1).
3) You're still missing the point. Dicking around with drivers is still a lot more hassle than simply supporting a modern input API.
4) I don't know how to respond to this. The Xbox 360 controller is the best controller ever made. You should know this if you are involved in XBCD, which you claim to be. The Xbox controller S was damned near perfect which is why we all went through the bother of soldering cables together in order to plug it into our PCs. The 360 controller is an improvement on the controller S, and it allows one to just plug it into a USB port on a PC and have it work (or buy a wireless receiver if you can't find the superior wired controller).

Mudlord:
1&2) People care because it is one of the best gamepads ever created. It is incredibly ergonomic, although I will admit the D-pad is kind of crappy. Regardless, its standardization has led to many more PC games properly supporting gamepads without all of the dicking around you used to have to do.
3) Who cares about backwards compatibility? What the hell are you talking about? You're on a board about emulating Nintendo 64 games!
Also, you seem to think that merely supporting Xinput is going to kill directinput support which is utterly silly.

I am not advocating replacing directinput or anything of the like, I'm advocating support for a popular controller and the API which is default for the default installed driver. No one wants to force you from your Windows 98 installation. You are free to continue living in the past and never playing new games. That's fine. But I would like to see easy support for a gamepad which is supported by many modern PC games so that I can easily switch between modern PC games and playing PJ64 emulated games. It seems silly to rely on a third party driver for such a widespread gamepad, when supporting it natively in the default plugin is purportedly so trivial.

Last edited by bradsh; 1st July 2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 1st July 2009, 11:45 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsh View Post
1) That's what I meant. Sorry for the misunderstanding. It installs the Xinput driver from the controller when you plug it in, but the support for the API is built into the OS.
2) I didn't give him any code, I gave him the math (just some basic trig) and a basic transform algorithm and I told him why it needed to be done. In Prince of Persia Sands of Time, and many other games, moving the stick diagonally resulted in ~.707 in both X & Y, which means the character would move slower diagonally than he would straight up/dn or left/right (+/- 1).
3) You're still missing the point. Dicking around with drivers is still a lot more hassle than simply supporting a modern input API.
4) I don't know how to respond to this. The Xbox 360 controller is the best controller ever made. You should know this if you are involved in XBCD, which you claim to be. The Xbox controller S was damned near perfect which is why we all went through the bother of soldering cables together in order to plug it into our PCs. The 360 controller is an improvement on the controller S, and it allows one to just plug it into a USB port on a PC and have it work (or buy a wireless receiver if you can't find the superior wired controller).

Mudlord:
1&2) People care because it is one of the best gamepads ever created. It is incredibly ergonomic, although I will admit the D-pad is kind of crappy. Regardless, its standardization has led to many more PC games properly supporting gamepads without all of the dicking around you used to have to do.
3) Who cares about backwards compatibility? What the hell are you talking about? You're on a board about emulating Nintendo 64 games!
Also, you seem to think that merely supporting Xinput is going to kill directinput support which is utterly silly.

I am not advocating replacing directinput or anything of the like, I'm advocating support for a popular controller and the API which is default for the default installed driver. No one wants to force you from your Windows 98 installation. You are free to continue living in the past and never playing new games. That's fine. But I would like to see easy support for a gamepad which is supported by many modern PC games so that I can easily switch between modern PC games and playing PJ64 emulated games. It seems silly to rely on a third party driver for such a widespread gamepad, when supporting it natively in the default plugin is purportedly so trivial.

The S-type was the best control ever made. the 360 controller is far poorer in comparison.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 2nd July 2009, 06:27 PM

i still believe the xbox 1 and 360 controllers were copied from the Dreamcast.
they use the same button layout ABXY. Dreamcast controller was awesome

p.s Xinput is already on the to-do list for pj64 1.7+, so you just have to wait till it comes out. (if your eager, write your own)
Old 3rd July 2009, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Who cares about backwards compatibility? What the hell are you talking about? You're on a board about emulating Nintendo 64 games!
So you are the retarded type that cares about mindless "upgrades" like Pissta and Shindows 7.

As I said, go tell someone who fucking cares. We don't care about you peddling your crap.

Quote:
Now who's acting like a fucking dickhead and putting words into my mouth.

Yes, I don't play any recent games since they are all derivative trash (Crysis for example, and yes, I tried it in 1600x1200, and its SHIT in terms of graphics. I want PROPER 256 pass SSAO you retard!!!!!). I use Linux and Windows XP based systems, you fucking tool.

And if you are so good, make your own damn plugin. I was thinking of doing such a thing, but why bother with idiots like yourself? And this is why I don't do any emulator shit no more. Its people like you that drain all the fun out of it.

So go tell some dev who gives a fuck about your overpriced controller. My Saitek controller is fine, thank you very fucking much. Now, as I said, go play DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball and wank to your 360 controller there!!!!!

Last edited by mudlord/RED; 3rd July 2009 at 03:02 AM.
Old 3rd July 2009, 04:07 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

oh helllll.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Old 4th July 2009, 04:36 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Now I'm not going to point, assume or force anyone to do a XInput plugin. I'm just going to state why it should be considered and how it should be implemented by a design point.

First thing to point out is that XInput is pretty much EAX for a game controller with poor driver support. This API is very very specific to Xbox 360 hardware and only should be used with it, not with a wrapper (as its pointless with the great DInput plugins).

So why? Well there is already large user base with these controllers and they are all the same layout (mostly in 3rd parties). And there is nothing unexpected from the hardware out side of specific variants for specific games (Music Genre basically). There is also the ease of use for the end user, no figuring out what is Button 1 and 10 or what is Axis 5 or RY. Still not firm reasons, but this is what you get out of an optional device that can go on unsupported by it's native means.

So if a Plug-in where to exist, how should it be implemented. Well first thing would be to implement support with all the functions of X-input: Input, Rumble, Player Awareness and add-ons like the Headset. Then associating all the features with the features of the Nintendo 64 via the controller interface. Input for the Input of the emulated controller, rumble for the rumble pack, the player awareness to match the connected controllers on the emulated console and the headset for the one shot voice device.

Now saying all this is the extremely easy part and it is worth as much to support the Xbox 360 Controller's native software interface. But this topic needed to be routed back on track and so I hope this has helped. And I hope no one takes things too far again about this subject.

Although, it would be nice to see a good plug-in, but I can live with the current state of Xbox 360 being used with a Nintendo 64 emulator.
Old 4th July 2009, 09:35 PM

Excellent post Truth Unknown. Very well written and one with neutrality.

Maybe I am acting like a ogre, so I might go out and buy a controller, and have a crack at this....Who knows, it might be okay for my games like Midtown Madness...
Old 4th July 2009, 09:52 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Just don't forget the Wireless Receiver if you go out of the way for a Wireless Controller.
Old 3rd August 2009, 03:41 PM

Default Yea my brother in law got the wireless reciever.

I'm a little disappointed in it. From what I've read it only works with 1 controller I think that's stupid. My PS2 adapter supports 4 controllers. And the Microsoft XBOX receiver only supports 1 wireless XBOX controller. Wow. Well worth the $60.

Well I can't talk from experience I haven't gotten a second XBOX controller to test it yet.

From what I've read XBCD doesn't support the wireless yet but i guess they might be testing it.

I think more API's you support the better?

Though I've tried with directplay on the wireless one and it worked for the most part. One issue I had was when the controller shut it's self off then N-RAGE's plugin wouldn't see it anymore when you turned it back on.
Old 3rd August 2009, 04:41 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

we have no testing of xbcd underway for wireless controls. nor have we any planned.