Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Site News

Old 30th March 2010, 08:06 PM

Save data and config data should go in the user directory by default, with an option to place it in the root folder instead.
Old 5th April 2010, 12:51 AM

Exclamation Keep it portable

I have been using PJ64 for some time now, and love it. I installed it on a USB drive, and have always run it from there, with no files on the pc. This means it is essentially a portable application, which I love. I can carry it from computer to computer, playing my games, and not having to install it for every single machine I run it on. I like this, and think it should be kept that way.

I dislike games like BF2 where the user data and saves are put in the \YourUserName\Documents\ directory, because I have to transfer my user files from computer to computer as I play (I made BF2 portable also, hehe), which is annoying at the best of times.

So, for best convenience, keep the saves local. Put them in the directory where PJ64 was installed. \Docs\Saves\ would be a likely location. It would just automatically save them in the Docs subdirectory, and create a Saves folder within the Docs directory, where all saves would be put. Very convenient that way.

BTW, does anyone else run PJ64 as a portable program, or is it just me?
Old 8th April 2010, 10:00 AM

Definitely, keep saves in the same folder as PJ64.

Also keep config files and ini files there too. I'd EVEN go so far as to say ignore the registry completely and put ALL files (even plugin configs) the the exe folder.

Total portablility, no bloat added to an already bloaty registry, no hunting through sub folder after sub folder to backup the saves and settings..
Old 10th April 2010, 08:33 AM

yea i hate the my documents thing. i never used it, they made it up, not me. i'd say, if you can, make a username register when you log in pj64. have it store 25 accounts max on it. the screen show everyname, you can have an auto log in, checkbox next to one name. that way up to 25 people can login to it. and there's a folder for each name, stored under usersettings, or something, that puts ini's of each settings. have it autolog in, with a checkbox. or 25 names you can register up to, on one box when it starts, spelled out and all you have to do is click. if you letting someoen use your computer you shouldn't mind, and you have to have a hardrive. makes no sense to me to gripe about your files. use winzip to password protect them. i use to do that. heh, hahaha.
and have a logout and switch to another user maybe button under file menu. if you've auto logged in to another account. roms can be stored in the regular folder and you can have accounts stored in a customizable folder. just they won't auto migrate. and have any customizable stuff under names. memcards, all that. all user settings under their folder. and the application pics up the folders names, but just the first in alphabetical order 25 folders, incase anyone makes more folders. so use the application to make accounts.
Old 9th June 2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamasama View Post
Save data and config data should go in the user directory by default, with an option to place it in the root folder instead.
He is correct, I run mine off of my external hard drive, but most don't. I would be fine with taking 3 seconds to tick a box to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffbutt View Post
... Total portablility, no bloat added to an already bloaty registry, no hunting through sub folder after sub folder to backup the saves and settings..
Maybe just make a "Portability Mode" checkbox for us who use non-os-integrated storage devices.

Last edited by Carocrazy132; 9th June 2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 29th June 2010, 04:18 AM

I have a slight problem. I have never gotten Zelda oot to work, finally decided to try it again and got all the kinks worked out. I got quite far really. Suddenly the sound went out on project. I figure, hey its ok its done it before. So I get that fixed. And out of idiocy, on mistake, I hit the restore button... I am now at the very first water temple... I tried restarting project in hopes my saved game would come back.. it didn't ='( is there any way possible I could get it back or is it simply a lost cause? Thanks.
Old 29th June 2010, 02:24 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Funny you mention that since three users so far have requested a save for Zelda OOT, specifically for starting at the Water Temple.

One man's trash is another man's treasure I guess.

To answer your question your progress is basically gone, overwritten and copied to from when you loaded the save state. I had the same thing happen to me several times, so I know how you feel.
Old 29th June 2010, 03:32 PM

='( bummer.... I lost a competition for that too... me and a friend were gunna see who could beat it first, but hes played it 9 millions times and I've played it...0... aw well, thanks alot. Time to start conkers =D
Old 29th June 2010, 06:40 PM
Project Supporter

That's why we should make backups. You can use multiple save states, you know.
Old 23rd October 2011, 05:42 AM

Backups, they do just that BACKUP

Tags
features