Old 16th July 2009, 04:13 PM

Default Is it Legual

Im pretty sure this is legual......Is that true?
Old 17th July 2009, 01:51 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Depends on what exactly.

Emulation Software and ROM Data Dumping Software/Hardware is legal in most places.

The mess is the legality of the copyrighted ROM data that was dumped. There is a good number of laws that can cover this topic, and its confusing. But one thing is clear, the sharing of copyrighted properties without the consent of the owner is illegal. This means via Web-sites, Web-storage (rapidshare, megaupload, etc), Peer to peer transfers (Limewire, Frostwire, Torrent Protocol, etc) and any other way to share data between people. Its illegal.
Old 17th July 2009, 03:16 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldaFanatic View Post
Im pretty sure this is legual......Is that true?
Why do you care? You won't get in trouble and theses games are 12 years old and discontinued so it's not really stealing.
Old 18th July 2009, 01:18 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmarock64 View Post
Why do you care? You won't get in trouble and theses games are 12 years old and discontinued so it's not really stealing.
Old or not, its still stealing.
Old 18th July 2009, 06:24 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Unknown View Post
Old or not, its still stealing.
The key word here is "discontinued" meaning that the game is no longer available for Eg GoldenEye, when you download GoldenEye who exactly are you stealing it from? The ownership of GoldenEye is divided amongst multiple companies.

Don't believe the lies of those bloody commercials that say internet piracy is equal to mugging someone or breaking onto there house. It's not even close, I think if the people who make these ads knew what they where talking about they'd tell the industry to get stuffed
Old 18th July 2009, 11:30 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Theft removes original. Like, I got my pen nicked, I don't have it anymore. Piracy doesn't (in general) - whoever the companies are, they still have the games somewhere.
Old 18th July 2009, 10:29 PM

Well, if I got games that I do not own from here:

xxxxxxxx

Is it legual?

Last edited by zilmar; 19th July 2009 at 06:19 AM. Reason: url removed
Old 19th July 2009, 02:51 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

If you remove the link in your post then to an extent.
Old 20th July 2009, 03:59 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmarock64 View Post
The key word here is "discontinued" meaning that the game is no longer available for Eg GoldenEye, when you download GoldenEye who exactly are you stealing it from? The ownership of GoldenEye is divided amongst multiple companies.

Don't believe the lies of those bloody commercials that say internet piracy is equal to mugging someone or breaking onto there house. It's not even close, I think if the people who make these ads knew what they where talking about they'd tell the industry to get stuffed
"Out of print!" not discontinued, its not a service but a product. Just because they do not make anymore copies of the game, it does not mean you are authorized to take copies.

I didn't even compare this to violence, just theft. Just because you didn't beat down a person to get a copy of ROM data, its still stealing. You are just ignoring the fact its wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcdjy View Post
Theft removes original. Like, I got my pen nicked, I don't have it anymore. Piracy doesn't (in general) - whoever the companies are, they still have the games somewhere.
Someone takes your paid for DVD video and copies it, and the gives it back like its nothing. Now tell me that didn't seem wrong, not one bit, your hard earned money means nothing if you just let others just take a copy.

---

Just to put the topic to rest, taking a copy of a game without the owners consent (either by trade or permission) is wrong and illegal. There is no other way around it, even if you don't like it. There are many used and even a few new copies which are still around for the Nintendo 64. Plus, ROM Dumpers are legal, if not CD burners/recorders, cameras, audio recorders, etc shouldn't be on sale in a public store.

I know its wrong and illegal, and I have done it. But, I'm not excusing myself, nor I'm not going to do anything more about it. I just can't sit here seeing everyone else think nothing of it.
Old 20th July 2009, 07:21 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

seems fine to me. Entertainment should be free for all, the industry has held monopoly on it far too long.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1