Old 22nd June 2009, 12:44 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Smile Best System Specs

Hello there Iím about to upgrade my PC for, emulation my current system specs are

ďAMD 6000+ dual core with 8 Gig of ram and a 9800GT with 1 Gig of video ramĒ

As I might of mentioned before Iíve have had issues with Perfect Dark, and other emulators, so Iím wanting to upgrade my PC so I can use interpreter not just with PJ but also others like Dolphin for intense. So Iím asking what type of processor is best for this sort of thing, and what should I priorities speed or power please help me decide.
Old 22nd June 2009, 10:21 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

if that system can't run perfect dark, then something is wrong.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 23rd June 2009, 01:44 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Perfect Dark freezes quite often so I try to use interpreter on CF 1 and it really isn't playable everything else is fine.

Last edited by magmarock64; 23rd June 2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 28th June 2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmarock64 View Post
Hello there Iím about to upgrade my PC for, emulation my current system specs are

ďAMD 6000+ dual core with 8 Gig of ram and a 9800GT with 1 Gig of video ramĒ

As I might of mentioned before Iíve have had issues with Perfect Dark, and other emulators, so Iím wanting to upgrade my PC so I can use interpreter not just with PJ but also others like Dolphin for intense. So Iím asking what type of processor is best for this sort of thing, and what should I priorities speed or power please help me decide.

well if its just a processor upgrade, then an AMD Phenom II Processor is recommended
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=28&p2=97
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=28&p2=83
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=28&p2=86
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=28&p2=85
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=28&p2=88

All the Phenoms i have found outperform Athlon64 6000 and the prices are always cheap with AMD

Graphics card dont need updates since emulators are more CPU Based
Memory is more then enough

Last edited by Stewie; 28th June 2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 28th June 2009, 08:49 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Well thanks for that. But I found out that other programs I use might not like a phenom so I'm getting a 6400 now, then getting an I7 or something similar in the Future. Thanks again please let me know if you have any other ideas.
Old 29th June 2009, 02:52 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Mr. Syrup

O_O I have what you may say as the most disgraceful specs ever and even I can run perfect dark without issue.
Old 29th June 2009, 11:05 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdkcheatz View Post
O_O I have what you may say as the most disgraceful specs ever and even I can run perfect dark without issue.
Is that so. Well don't you worry about a thing my friend we can fix that.
First I need to give you a save state file that I cant seem to attach to this forum for some reason. If you send me your email address via private message I will send you the file

Last edited by magmarock64; 29th June 2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 4th July 2009, 05:59 AM

Do NOT under any circumstances upgrade your pc right now. It is way overpowered for anything on the market right now, it would be a waste of money.

I would have said some games just plain don't agree with your emulator (I could never get paper mario 64 to work, I get a crash bug in toad town coming back from the star summit that's unavoidable), but since someone else mentioned that they had it working fine, it means it's capable of working.

The first thing you should do is to try downloading from another source. I like to use romulation. There's a few other possibilities that we can knock out quickly. Go to your video card's company's website and download the latest driver (which you should do anyway, it helps with a lot of things, and solves lag in MMOs I find).

Just whatever you do don't upgrade, total waste of money. Your machine is more than capable of running this.

I'm running an inspiron 530, 2 gb ram, dual core 2.33 ghz, geforce 8600gt 512 mb, and I run the n64 at max settings with full anti aliasing with no problems. Ontop of that, I can run it with a bajillion other programs open, including broadcasting my desktop live on the net. I'm on Vista as well. Your pc is fine.

If my suggestions don't work you can always come back and brainstorm with me.
Old 4th July 2009, 10:05 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

the problem is not that I can't run Perfect Dark, because I can, it's that I have issues ruining it on Interpreter. Perfect Dark "runs" fine on Recompiler but it randomly freezes I was told ruining on Interpreter mite fix this, it doesn't. Anyway I already upgrade my PC from a 6000 to a 6400 a small and cheap upgrade that will do me fine until the I7 is more affordable or something slimier comes out I am very much a wait and see kind of guy. As for brainstorming that sounds like fun if you or anyone else is willing to help me with Perfect Dark that would great.

Last edited by magmarock64; 4th July 2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 4th July 2009, 06:59 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdkcheatz View Post
Quote:
Is that so. Well don't you worry about a thing my friend we can fix that.
First I need to give you a save state file that I cant seem to attach to this forum for some reason. If you send me your email address via private message I will send you the file
Don't waste your time on him. He knows even less about low-end hardware than I do; his system is fine that much I know.

Quote:
Perfect Dark freezes quite often so I try to use interpreter on CF 1 and it really isn't playable everything else is fine.
Don't worry about setting CF. This control is inapplicable when using the interpreter, so your setting will only make a difference in re-compilation.

Quote:
the problem is not that I can't run Perfect Dark, because I can, it's that I have issues ruining it on Interpreter. Perfect Dark "runs" fine on Recompiler but it randomly freezes I was told ruining on Interpreter mite fix this, it doesn't. Anyway I already upgrade my PC from a 6000 to a 6400 a small and cheap upgrade that will do me fine until the I7 is more affordable or something slimier comes out I am very much a wait and see kind of guy. As for brainstorming that sounds like fun if you or anyone else is willing to help me with Perfect Dark that would great.
If anyone is interested I recreated a save state of an example of what he means.
No configurations supported in version 1.6 except using the interpreter prevent some frequency of a hang in memory in transition between levels. After a couple tries I couldn't reproduce this, but this guy is apparently affected.

What issues remain when using the interpreter style?
If we use any cheats (Ctrl+C while playing) this can sometimes crash the interpreter as well.

Squall Leonhart would know about other settings for using the interpreter better, but as far as upgrading hardware, the interpreter will naturally be intensive.