Old 20th July 2009, 07:26 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Unknown View Post
"Out of print!" not discontinued, its not a service but a product. Just because they do not make anymore copies of the game, it does not mean you are authorized to take copies.

I didn't even compare this to violence, just theft. Just because you didn't beat down a person to get a copy of ROM data, its still stealing. You are just ignoring the fact its wrong.

Someone takes your paid for DVD video and copies it, and the gives it back like its nothing. Now tell me that didn't seem wrong, not one bit, your hard earned money means nothing if you just let others just take a copy.

---

Just to put the topic to rest, taking a copy of a game without the owners consent (either by trade or permission) is wrong and illegal. There is no other way around it, even if you don't like it. There are many used and even a few new copies which are still around for the Nintendo 64. Plus, ROM Dumpers are legal, if not CD burners/recorders, cameras, audio recorders, etc shouldn't be on sale in a public store.

I know its wrong and illegal, and I have done it. But, I'm not excusing myself, nor I'm not going to do anything more about it. I just can't sit here seeing everyone else think nothing of it.
IT isn’t wrong that’s my point! Piracy is considered bad because by downloading a product apposed to buying it, costs the industry money on a potential sale. But if there’s no sale to begin with, where’s the theft?

Take Walt Disney for Eg they release one of there classic movies for
ONE YEAR EVERY DECADE they call this system the Disney Vault then complain when people pyrite there movies, but is it any wander!!

Here in Australia we pay double for games every time no matter the currency if that’s not bad enough, imported Games often won’t work, our TV’s are engineered to support NTSC but they still won’t work. It’s because of the regional lockout chip installed on every Nintendo product to prevent you getting a good bargain overseas. So who’s the real thief here!!.

Here’s something you should all read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_lockout

This is what Half-Life director Gabe Newell said about Piracy
http://razetheworld.gameriot.com/for...ay-ahead-of-us

Some more about what Gabe said
http://www.pcworld.com/article/15980...ead_of_us.html

Last edited by magmarock64; 20th July 2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 21st July 2009, 03:01 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Unknown View Post
The mess is the legality of the copyrighted ROM data that was dumped. There is a good number of laws that can cover this topic, and its confusing.
I aim not to oppose. I am interested in any details or where there are sources.

---

While I post in the wish for information I'll involve myself with a note.

Truth Unknown is describing with "illegal".
magmarock64 is describing with "not wrong".

In some cases, the terms "illegal" and "wrong" can be different.
Sometimes they are accurately summarized as the same.
Other times, "illegal" means, "not apt to do" / "can not be done" / syn. impossible.
But if we think of "illegal" as "against the law", "unlawful", depending on the environment (inclusively as what "the law" references), it can be different from "wrong" when two environments do not intertwine.

The true multi-context definitions set of even an old English term are exact, but our perceptions that enable us to bend their values are also important.

If I was to link to Nintendo's legal.jsp page again, you could closely see this method. As far as dumping games yourself, one question they ask is, "Are backup devices illegal," answering yes from based on function. Of course as suggested by Truth Unknown, I get to use my PC's function as a device to backup files.

What they don't actually direct to (not even ask on the FAQ)--as consistently as they do with other questions--is, "Is the copy I produce from the process of backing up my authentic game lawful?" On a separate note, what they do ask is, "Can I download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I already own the authentic game;" they just don't ask the former. When they mention backup copy exception they direct that a downloaded copy is unlawful but mention nothing of a backup.

boy I gotta take my pill and get to sleep
Old 21st July 2009, 03:28 PM

its all rubbish with copyright issues.

do you know, even if you own a cd you are allowed 1 digital backup only for your own use if the original is damaged, and if you put that digital backup on your ipod or laptop and listen to it if you are out of your home you are comitting a violation and it is against the law.

stealing, by definition is taking something in any form that would normally coast a price or fee. and getting it for free.

however "digital piracy " is a bit of a complicated issue and I believe its all up to personal opinions.

Last edited by thefalz; 21st July 2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 30th July 2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldaFanatic View Post
Im pretty sure this is legual......Is that true?
DEFINATLY LEGAL IVE BEEN PLAYING IT FOR AGES.
Old 9th August 2009, 05:18 AM

these companies i'm "stealing" from (but it's actually copied, they still have the disc) will make more monay than me in 1 day than my entire lifetime, how is that fair?
Old 9th August 2009, 07:37 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodac View Post
these companies i'm "stealing" from (but it's actually copied, they still have the disc) will make more monay than me in 1 day than my entire lifetime, how is that fair?
It's their property (their time, resources and work) they can sell it anyway they want. It's the same as an artist selling full size prints and a baker selling cookies from his recipe. They are just not going to let anyone get away with their work. And its just not you taking these copies, more and more people are doing this, and it is taking a portion of their potential profits. I'm not going to debate how much is lost, but it is there and growing with every person that gets told its just a drop in a bucket. Hell it may very well make a reduction of game releases to the point of video games are not worth paying attention to anymore.

Last edited by Truth Unknown; 9th August 2009 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Elaborating more.
Old 12th August 2009, 05:16 PM

Default who cares

you are not going to get caught if this is illegal because the chances of getting caught is 1 to 6,000,000 (rounded up)
Old 12th August 2009, 09:53 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Nintendo care, we have to think of them and there share holders and the profits especially the profits!! For them. Because they are good, because they are Nintendo, and it doesn’t matter that they charge you more because you don’t live in the USA all that matters is them, and we should set an example and make them supreme rulers of the would. YES
Old 13th August 2009, 10:28 PM

In the end, it comes down the age old question.

Is it officially abandonware?
Old 14th August 2009, 01:50 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagejawbone View Post
in the end, it comes down the age old question.

Is it officially abandonware?

yes it is!!!