Old 11th August 2014, 09:25 PM

Default Click Rom file to run

hi im new to the whole Rom and emulator thing but i cant seem to get Project 64 to work correctly. If i want to play a game i have to use File > Open > then pick the rom. I need to get the files so that i click them and they will start playing automatically. Whenever i try to do this it says "Attempt to open file faild" but if i do file> open it works fine. So, is there anything i can do to just click and open the rom file and have it run automatically or do i have to open it from the Project 64 menu?
Old 11th August 2014, 10:06 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Yeah, press F5 to refresh the ROM browser.
You probably made changes to the ROM locations/directory/file paths that aren't instantly synchronized.

Also, if you store ROMs on USB flash, sometimes the flash drive letter for me is F:, G:, or others, depending on how many I have plugged in. This will also break ROM browser shortcuts to load games (unless you use relative file paths).
Old 12th August 2014, 12:04 AM

pressing f5 just makes my screen brighter. is there any way i can change which key is used for that?
Old 12th August 2014, 12:10 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Um there is no "brightness" function in Project64 core. F5 refreshes the ROM list.

When in doubt, choose "Refresh ROM List (F5)" from under the "File" menu in pj64 application menu bar.
Old 12th August 2014, 12:47 AM

i mean on my laptop specifically, the f5 key changes the brightness of the screen it has no effect on the emulator at all. Having to go into the file list goes back to my original problem
Old 12th August 2014, 12:58 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Why would opening the File menu go back to your original problem?

Your original problem was that you had to choose File -> Open all the time.
What I suggested was to choose File -> "Refresh Rom Browser" this time.

Different uses of the file menu.
Old 12th August 2014, 01:12 AM

the problem that i am having is i need to be able to click on the rom file in a folder and have it automatically open project64 and run the game, without me going into the file menu at all. Sorry if that wasnt clear before. i have emulators for multiple systems, this is the only one that i cant seem to do that
Old 16th December 2014, 09:21 PM

There are a lot of similar requests dotted around the internet, the closest I have come to a solution is to go into options>settings, then uncheck hide advanced options, click ok, go back into settings and select the shell integration tab, check the extensions you use. This might work. Unfortunately the extensions don't remain checked when I do it so you might have the same problem.

When I want to run a game on other emulators, I use .bat files as a work around. Unfortunately I still have not got to grips with writing them myself.

Does anyone else have experience writing .bat files? We require one that will open pj64 and load a specific game automatously? that way we can double click the .bat rather than the .exe and get the desired result.
Old 16th December 2014, 09:58 PM

Ok Sorted. Easier than I expected.

Open Wordpad, and type:

@echo off
start Project64.exe D:\Games\Star fox 64 (usa).n64

(replace the highlighted section with the path of your rom)

save the document with a .bat extension rather than .txt and put it in the folder with project64.exe. You can now click on this file or create a shortcut to it and it will launch the game.
Old 17th December 2014, 09:12 AM
Project Supporter

You most likely have to run as administrator once in order to set the shell extensions and have them stick

Tags
click, file, open, rom, run