#1  
Old 7th June 2009, 01:23 AM
wuhlei wuhlei is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9
Default surround sound support

this would be sweet!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 8th June 2009, 04:35 PM
sak777 sak777 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhlei View Post
this would be sweet!
Isn't it already supported? Well at least with Dolby Pro Logic. It's not like the newer surround sound, but it's still something.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 9th June 2009, 12:53 AM
squall_leonhart's Avatar
squall_leonhart squall_leonhart is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,915
Default

the nintendo 64 DOES NOT support any advanced form of surround sound. It is pseudo stereo surround.
__________________

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 9th June 2009, 04:08 AM
jmf145 jmf145 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 17
Default

If you want to have surround sound you are going to need to use a sound card or a receiver that supports Dolby Pro Logic. You are also going to need a game that supports surround sound. This is the best list of those games I could find:

Banjo-Tooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Donkey Kong 64
FIFA 98: Road to World Cup
Hercules: The Legendary Journeys
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
International Superstar Soccer '98
International Superstar Soccer 2000
Jet Force Gemini
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mickey's Speedway USA
Perfect Dark
Pokémon Stadium 2
Resident Evil 2
South Park: Chef's Luv Shack
World Cup 98

Note: This only shows N64 games that have Dolby Surround, some games might have surround sound but didn't pay for the Dolby license.

Last edited by jmf145; 9th June 2009 at 04:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 9th June 2009, 06:58 AM
Topken Topken is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 35
Default

hey squall would it be possible to code some something like you guys did for vba-m that inulates surround sound?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 9th June 2009, 10:09 AM
squall_leonhart's Avatar
squall_leonhart squall_leonhart is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf145 View Post
If you want to have surround sound you are going to need to use a sound card or a receiver that supports Dolby Pro Logic. You are also going to need a game that supports surround sound. This is the best list of those games I could find:

Banjo-Tooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Donkey Kong 64
FIFA 98: Road to World Cup
Hercules: The Legendary Journeys
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
International Superstar Soccer '98
International Superstar Soccer 2000
Jet Force Gemini
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mickey's Speedway USA
Perfect Dark
Pokémon Stadium 2
Resident Evil 2
South Park: Chef's Luv Shack
World Cup 98

Note: This only shows N64 games that have Dolby Surround, some games might have surround sound but didn't pay for the Dolby license.
several of those games don't have Dolby Surround at all and as i said, its a Stereo Pseudo surround. a DPL mixer will also not work as it not a Pro Logic signal.

Pro logic will only output 5.1 if the source is encoded in the PL format. so when set to PL it will only output as stereo.

Prologic 2 is the same as PL1, in that it will only provide proper 5.1 mixing when the audio signal is encoded to DPLII. However it will simulate a 5.1 environment by using advanced mixing. However since as i said, the N64 is only capable of Pseudo surround, It is only a upmixed stereo feed and will not have any positional or environmental audio effects.
__________________

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1

Last edited by squall_leonhart; 9th June 2009 at 10:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 9th June 2009, 10:12 AM
squall_leonhart's Avatar
squall_leonhart squall_leonhart is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topken View Post
hey squall would it be possible to code some something like you guys did for vba-m that inulates surround sound?
Most 5.1 sound card drivers already provide a manner to upmix a stereo signal to 5.1,

Creatives drivers call it CMSS2, (older creative cards like the SBLive don't support CMSS2, but mix the front speakers with the rear with some distortion by default.

not sure about realtek's or AD's drivers.
__________________

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10th June 2009, 06:22 AM
wuhlei wuhlei is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall_Leonhart View Post
the nintendo 64 DOES NOT support any advanced form of surround sound. It is pseudo stereo surround.
oh thats lame so all the surround sound option in zelda is really just 2 channels with a 4 speaker filter?

eek sorry about this mess I was wondering about that because I seen this in some snes games too. lol I thought japan was had all this surround sound equip before usa.

thanks for the info sorry
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10th June 2009, 08:39 AM
jmf145 jmf145 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall_Leonhart View Post
several of those games don't have Dolby Surround at all and as i said, its a Stereo Pseudo surround. a DPL mixer will also not work as it not a Pro Logic signal.

Pro logic will only output 5.1 if the source is encoded in the PL format. so when set to PL it will only output as stereo.

Prologic 2 is the same as PL1, in that it will only provide proper 5.1 mixing when the audio signal is encoded to DPLII. However it will simulate a 5.1 environment by using advanced mixing. However since as i said, the N64 is only capable of Pseudo surround, It is only a upmixed stereo feed and will not have any positional or environmental audio effects.

First, Dolby Surround will work on a DPL mixer. Second, when you say "stereo pseudo surround" you make it sound like it's a stereo signal, with no surround information, being converted into 5.1. Where in reality it will give you a single surround channel because the channel is matrix-encoded into the audio. While it is not 5.1 surround sound, it still has some basic surround information (which is left, center, right, and mono surround).



From Dolby's website:
Dolby® Surround is the consumer version of the original Dolby multichannel analog film sound format (Dolby analog and Dolby SR [Spectral Recording]). When a Dolby Surround soundtrack is produced, four channels of audio information—Left, Center, Right, and Mono surround—are matrix-encoded onto two audio tracks. These two tracks are then carried on stereo program sources such as videotapes and TV broadcasts into the home, where they can be decoded by Dolby Pro Logic® to recreate the original four-channel surround sound experience.
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/surround.html

Further reading:
http://www.practical-home-theater-gu...Dolby_Surround

Last edited by jmf145; 10th June 2009 at 10:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11th June 2009, 02:26 AM
squall_leonhart's Avatar
squall_leonhart squall_leonhart is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,915
Default

Quote:
First, Dolby Surround will work on a DPL mixer. Second, when you say "stereo pseudo surround" you make it sound like it's a stereo signal, with no surround information, being converted into 5.1. Where in reality it will give you a single surround channel because the channel is matrix-encoded into the audio. While it is not 5.1 surround sound, it still has some basic surround information (which is left, center, right, and mono surround).
no it won't. DPL mixing only supports DPL, the device must support mixing for dolby surround, otherwise its just stereo.

As it is, sound cards can immitate this now anyway,
__________________

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.