Old 18th January 2009, 04:33 PM

Default config suggestions

Hello, this is my first post so please be kind because I'm about to ask what I know is a question that's probably been answered here before. I did a quick search of the forums and couldn't find my answer, so I'm asking, What is a good configuration to get games to run like they're at 60fps? The N64 had some great games but most of 'em ran in slo-mo, in particular, JFG was an awesome game but I'm sure most couldn't get past the choppy framerate. I want to play through this game again but I would love to play it with a sharp responsive tempo. Any help would be most appreciated.
Old 18th January 2009, 05:01 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

The answer must take into account the game, for every game is fastest--or with greatest instability--with one respected plug-in in each and different memory settings.

How much system memory do you have?
You're supplied with what graphics card?
What's your processor?
Old 18th January 2009, 05:11 PM

Right now I'm just into getting JFG running awesome. Let's see, for hardware, I got 4 gigs of ram, an ATI Radeon HD 3200, and an AMD 64 Turion X2 Ultra mobile technology ZM-80 / 2.1 GHz. I've got a dual boot running 32 and 64 bit Vista.
Old 18th January 2009, 05:24 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

On a system like that JFG should run at a full 60 VI/s because even on my system it does. Did you change any settings used by Project64 for this game? Not sure why else it would be slow honestly...
Old 18th January 2009, 05:34 PM

Well, yeah, Project 64 is running @ 60fps, but that's not the problem. Most N64 games apparently were coded to run @ kind of a slow tempo (like how JFG looks like it's running in slo-mo even though Project 64 is running at 60fps). I know I can change the counter factor to "1" in the rom's settings to speed each game up a little bit but I was hoping to get a little more.
Old 18th January 2009, 06:02 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Oh I think I see then. The game runs at 60 vertical interrupts per second (matrix updating of pixels according to the frame), but the internal frame rate (FPS) which for some reason was used to label VI/s emulated rate in the 1.6 version is what you want as faster.

Since the FPS is the internal game speed this is all up to how the game is designed, but indeed changing the counter factor to one will affect in result. There is not much else to do in configuration regards. As long as you're using the NTSC version of a game

Perhaps the answer to this request would be a more advanced implementation of counter factor modifiers.
Old 18th January 2009, 06:07 PM

Well then, is there a way to lock Project 64 @ a higher fps, like say 75 or 80. That might help. At any rate, thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old 18th January 2009, 07:02 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

This level of internal change is out of the question. Probably the best thing would be a more advanced configuration system on counter factor support that in result would multiply the internal speed for the game's design?

As long as the VI/s is at 60 and you are using Jet Force Gemini (U) or Star Twins (J) and not the PAL Jet Force Gemini (E) that's it.
Old 18th January 2009, 07:42 PM

Alright, well maybe in the future something like that will be implemented. Thanks.
Old 18th January 2009, 08:07 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

It already is. its called VI Refresh.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1