Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v1.6

Old 22nd March 2011, 01:24 PM

Default Crackling and Popping sound on Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask

Hey everyone, I have a little sound problem with both Zelda games, I'm using:

Video Plugin: Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6
Audio Plugin: Jabo's DirectSound 1.6
Input Plugin: Jabo's DirectInput7 1.6

(If you need other info let me know and I'll post)

I can hear everything, and everything sounds great, except for some popping/crackling noises sometimes. I've tried a few other sound plugins and some of them have been worse and some of them have fixed the problem, but they made the performance of the video really bad, choppy etc.

It's not a huge problem, but it would be great if someone knows a fix for it. I'd really love to start playing Ocarina of Time real soon so if you do happen to know a fix, please post asap, I will be eternally grateful. Thank you.
Old 22nd March 2011, 03:06 PM
Project Supporter

What's your sound card?
Old 22nd March 2011, 09:13 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Seems squall just posted about this.

If you haven't tried the game-to-audio sync option in the DirectSound plugin config, try switching to use Azimer's Audio HLE for the sound plugin instead, then turn off the "Emulate/Simulate AI" option once the game has started.
Old 25th June 2011, 05:11 PM

Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted in ages.

I do still have this problem, the soundcard I'm using I think is a Creative, but I'm not really too sure. Is there a way I can find out specifically which one I'm using?

I've also tried your advice Mr, but unfortunately it didn't fix it

If anyone has any other ideas that would be great, thanks a lot.
Old 25th June 2011, 06:00 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

IIRC squall mentioned something about device-specific needs or fault with Creative, but I don't remember for sure. Are you able to test the audio emulator in Nemu64? If you can find an archive of that emulator somewhere online and see if that will work to play a game, see if that has better results on your sound card.
Old 25th June 2011, 10:50 PM

Clast's sync option has worked on every xp machine I've owned. However, my vista 64bit doesn't co-operate. Usually, you play for a while and it just goes. You could try different plugins, but I personally couldn't be bothered and you soon get used to it anyway.
Old 26th June 2011, 12:56 PM

Hey, thanks for the replies. Mr, I tried using nemu64 and it does work perfectly, but the graphics are nowhere near as good as Project64's, and there doesn't seem to be any options to increase the graphics. I tried using Jabo's graphics plugin on nemu64 and it just gives me some error and plays the sound but it just shows a black screen. If there was someway to get the graphics to be as good as Project 64's, then it would be perfect.

Also, one idea I had, if people don't seem to have problems with windows XP, is it possible I could set up a virtual machine, put Windows XP onto it, and then perhaps run project 64 from the virtual machine? Do you think that could solve the problem? Or is the problem because of the specific soundcard I'm using? I think I'll test it out anyway to see if it works.
Old 26th June 2011, 01:26 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

hmm id be interested in what you use for a virtual machine, i cant seem to get direct3d to work on anything
Old 26th June 2011, 04:14 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsx! View Post
hmm id be interested in what you use for a virtual machine, i cant seem to get direct3d to work on anything
Do you use Virtualbox? Because I have got it working.
Old 26th June 2011, 06:48 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I'm very curious because I'd like to know myself about the virtual machine. I've never had one to escape having to use Vista on here XD, so it's a nice idea.

About Nemu64, I don't know what error you mean about using Jabo's with it, but you can try going into Nemu's settings and using another plugin then to see if it's specific to that. In a sticky in this forum there is a list of other plugins like glN64 you might also want to test with Zelda.