Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 19th July 2014, 09:19 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzma View Post
Wait are those options in release five of your alternate reality drawan plugin? I don't see them : (

Edited==--=-
Sure they are! What's up...Options :: Configure Graphics Plugin... does nothing in this release for you?

Also rpg idk if the PM system on this forum just sucks or something, but just to make sure I did reply to your pm haha.
This website is so broken haha. I'd rather this thread be on a different forum or IRC or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPDP View Post
Maybe now would be a good time to add some filter/shader support? Just saiyan.
It isn't supported by Windows OpenGL; I would have to use the extension API (which is itself an extension) or break software driver/compatibility mode which, in Windows never uses past OpenGL 1.1 plus that GL 1.2 BGRA extension I'm taking full advantage of now.

Quote:
Also, the "DP frame buffer" screen resolution option has issues, at least on PJ64 2.1. On OoT, it appears to set the screen size to 320x237, but as you can see on this image, this results in some pixels being lost, most visible on the C-button items:

Setting it to 320x240 manually appears to deliver a proper image with no lost pixels.
I noticed, I just forgot about it because of all the OpenGL driver-related issues RPG was having on his computer.

For now I usually just set it to 320x240, since automatic detection will only give you 237. I remember asking angrylion about this; there's no clear way to deduce the out-of-video height or round it to 240 pixels. Maybe now that you reminded me I can spend a little more time looking at it.

Quote:
Also, the frameskip option does not appear to deliver any appreciable speedup. I set it to 2 for 20FPS games as you suggested, and didn't get more than a VI or two out of it.
No bug.

I said that it is tripled the original VI emulation speed, not total/overall graphics emulation speed.
If you play a ROM that makes heavy use of the RSP and triangle spans rendering, then the VI emulation takes up a much smaller fraction of why your game is slow.

Try a demo that doesn't use the RCP, like absolute crap 2, for example.
VI skip 0: I get about 69-70 VI/s (VI filter emulation enabled).
VI skip 1 (30 FPS): 126-130 VI/s
VI skip 2 (20 FPS): 170(?)-190 VI/s

So it is a very appreciable speed-up when used with a ROM that is slow because of VI filters and not other things, like having to draw triangles 5 million times as often on the RCP geometry pipeline. (For that you have to use the skip triangles feature, next to what you refer to as skip frames.)
Old 19th July 2014, 09:31 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

I've been doing some testing. Now I don't get that inf loop of message boxes on any emulator I've tried, when reseting. So aside from the display issues I've been having. There has been one other issue I've dealt with. That is, me not being able to use a full core. In version 4, it uses a full core the entire time, so some change triggered this.

Is anyone else having this same problem? Check cpu usage in task manager and see if it's using a full core.
Quote:
Also, the frameskip option does not appear to deliver any appreciable speedup. I set it to 2 for 20FPS games as you suggested, and didn't get more than a VI or two out of it.
Ya it won't do much, except when there isn't too much background. When i stripped most of the game background in SSB64, frameskip made a bigger difference. You'd get a small VI/s boost simply by using an HLE audio plugin, like Azimer's.

Also, do you have VI filters enabled?

Honestly, I just loaded up OOT and I see a bigger difference in VI/s. Maybe it's because I'm using recompiler for RSP? That or it depends on what area of the game you're in.

LOL i had no idea you replied in PM HatCat, it never said 1 unread message ;/ .
Old 19th July 2014, 09:38 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Oh yeah I forgot, yeah GPDP's screenshot had VI filters turned off.
If you bypass VI filter emulation then of course VI emulation was already not as much of a bottleneck to begin with, so frame skip would have less effect then.

Of course, "Disable VI filters" is still roughly faster than not disabling them but having a "frame skip" of 2 (for 20 fps), but currently I prefer doing the latter so that I can play games in full-screen, with the VI filters still in there.

In Zelda64, try pressing Up-C, and looking up at the sky, or at a flat, solid wall, or something or somewhere with not a lot of geometry/texturing. This will send less work to the RSP and RDP, and cause the VI to take up more of the emulation latency. It is at times like this where you can more clearly see the difference between a frame skip of 0, vs. 2, even with VI filters disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster
There has been one other issue I've dealt with. That is, me not being able to use a full core. In version 4, it uses a full core the entire time, so some change triggered this.
I'll talk about this over PMs as well since I haven't been noticing this.
It could have to do with what plugin spec function I created the context in, unless somebody else can reproduce?

yeah this forum sucks, maybe have it give a pop-up alert in front of your page when you get PMs idk
Old 19th July 2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
Sure they are! What's up...Options :: Configure Graphics Plugin... does nothing in this release for you?
I guess I wasn't very clear. Maybe they're there, but I think there's no gui option for them.

Edit:
Doh nevermind! I didn't read it correctly. Auugghhh. For some reason I looked at the frame skipping thingy thinking it was a box to change the resolution. Reading be damned.

Last edited by zuzma; 19th July 2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 19th July 2014, 09:46 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Yeah, just pick "User-defined" to change the resolution to an exact window size.

For some reason I feel like adding more options to the GUI, and making RPGMaster want to learn how to implement tabs so we can organize different types of options into different config tabs.

One very very easy thing for me to implement is disabling color channels.
I could store a 4-bit nybble in rdp_conf.bin, comprised of 4 Booleans: GL_RED, GL_GREEN, GL_BLUE, GL_ALPHA ... I thought Mario kinda looked interesting with one or two color channels turned off haha. idk, w/e

A scanlines/OpenGL shader/filter thing would also be interesting to play with, except, I want this to work in software mode for testing/debug...and that is currently beyond my knowledge now anyway. Better to use my time fixing bugs than to learn things not natively supported by everyone's drivers. In the meantime I think the bilinear versus NN/pixilated up-scale/filter methods are more universal and sufficient enough for a pixel-accuracy plugin.

Last edited by HatCat; 19th July 2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 19th July 2014, 09:57 PM

Tabs would look kinda odd with out more options. I mean you'd have a tiny window with barely any options for each tab (but it sounds like that might change so it could be a good idea ). As for the color channel options that sounds really flippin nifty! I mean stuff like that is always fun to use. Like there was this one video player that had a stupid shader that imitated a fish eye camera. Completely pointless, but it was always funny to enable in srs drama scenes.

Last edited by zuzma; 19th July 2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 19th July 2014, 10:08 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I see lol...well maybe such options would best go under a tab named "4lulz/Junk Settings".

I can also swap red with green, blue with alpha, green with blue whatever...if you like rainbows to go with your games it's not so bad.

I do want a tab for debugging information though.
Nothing configurable I guess, but, just a tab that prints OpenGL string information...the user can't change anything it's just for reading.
Namely,
glGetString(GL_VERSION),
glGetString(GL_RENDERER),
glGetString(GL_VENDOR),
and a button you can click to log extensions supported by your GL context to a text file.
Old 19th July 2014, 10:08 PM

Oh, how about an option to turn off the bilinear texture filtering? I bet there are some who actually prefer PS1-style unfiltered textures. Not sure if that is doable, of course.
Old 19th July 2014, 10:15 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

replied again rpg

Quote:
Oh, how about an option to turn off the bilinear texture filtering? I bet there are some who actually prefer PS1-style unfiltered textures. Not sure if that is doable, of course.
Hm...I was gonna say, the plugin already supports this, but now that I think about it...
I should probably make glTexImage2D use GL_NEAREST for up-scaling, or GL_BILINEAR, automatically detected, based on whether or not "Disable VI filters" is checked.

I personally prefer bi-linear filtering enabled...it gives a much smoother-looking, anti-aliased image, like dsx's composite TV screenshot, and how angrylion's original plugin looks on his own video card but not ours , but if you're bypassing the VI filters then it's just pseudo-blurred pixels and it's crap...so yeah bi-linear should be turned off automatically I think.

Well until then, the manual way to do it is to disable "GPU-accelerated scaling" (which is on by default in the rdp_conf.bin I distributed to y'all), which uses the painfully slow glDrawPixels to read frame buffer through the CPU bus (read: fucks the face through the ass) *but* is not bi-linear up-scaled and is pixilated like some people want it.

I didn't exactly try to optimize GPU-accelerated scaling *off* because I think people should just leave it on and use the bi-linear filtering instead =] but...that's just shit with VI filters off. I'll see about adjusting this.
Old 19th July 2014, 10:50 PM

Uh, no, that is not what I meant. I am talking about in-game textures, not the whole image. The N64 uses a form of bilinear filtering to smooth textures on polygons, as well as some sprites. The N64's version of it is a bit weird, though, in that it only uses three samples as opposed to the conventional four, which makes some textures look jagged. HLE plugins opt for regular bilinear, although the libretro version of Mupen64Plus actually does implement true N64-style three-point filtering through a shader.

In any case, I was only wondering if it would be possible to disable said texture filtering, like HLE plugins can.