Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 20th July 2014, 05:58 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
Well he said 16x9 and 16x10 resolution. I am on 1366 x 768.
Then it sounds like you're not using what he's talking about. :/

Or should I just remove the ability to turn off GPU-accelerated scaling and make everyone use bilinear?
That ought to fix it for certain. After all, cen64 can't quite emulate the bilinear effect when VI filters are being bypassed.

Quote:
Lol, I totally forgot about alt+F4.
I just hit Alt+Enter in 1964 1.1 like 20 times.

This one's on your end mate. If 1964 authors knew how unstable the GUI was on everyone else's system, does that mean they can reproduce it themselves?

I can't control what emulator you use. You said it used to work better in r4 of this thread...I changed nothing about the full-screen Win32 code since r4 of this thread (it's all zilmar's, not mine); your results are random -- the way 1964 has always been.
Old 20th July 2014, 06:30 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
Then it sounds like you're not using what he's talking about. :/
Lol what was he talking about then? I assumed he was talking about the computer's screen resolution. I even did user defined resolution too. I guess I'll have to wait for him to reply ;/ .

Quote:
Or should I just remove the ability to turn off GPU-accelerated scaling and make everyone use bilinear?
That ought to fix it for certain. After all, cen64 can't quite emulate the bilinear effect when VI filters are being bypassed.
Imo, that option isn't that important. Although, I think game text looks better with GPU-accelerated scaling off. I'd rather have the characters and background look nicer, so I always keep it on. Plus there's no way I'd want even slower speeds.

Quote:
I just hit Alt+Enter in 1964 1.1 like 20 times.

This one's on your end mate. If 1964 authors knew how unstable the GUI was on everyone else's system, does that mean they can reproduce it themselves?

I can't control what emulator you use. You said it used to work better in r4 of this thread...I changed nothing about the full-screen Win32 code since r4 of this thread (it's all zilmar's, not mine); your results are random -- the way 1964 has always been.
Well, I don't think it's the emulator's fault. It seems to be based on the same problem as the black screen issue I'm having, so either way, don't worry about it. That explains why it happened on Mupen64 and not 1964 before.

Like when I tried the debug mode version, full screen exiting worked. If I load your debug version first, then switch to your binary release, full screen exiting works too.

I'm actually working on fixing up 1964's GUI . Ultrafast and 1964 1.2 r146 did a good amount of GUI fixing already. Ultrafast even fixed up the interpreter's speed in 1964 1.1. I think some C++ code slowed it down. I should pinpoint the main cause for that interpreter speed up. It may motivate me to convert all of the code to C.
Old 20th July 2014, 07:03 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

o i c

Well I just checked, and his screenshot was also at 1366x768, like yours. I wouldn't call that 16:9 exactly (it's more like, 683:382), but I guess it's close. Either way it's what he was using, sorry. So maybe one of you guys has multiple monitors set up, and I have to detect the primary monitor better or just use glViewport for both methods.

My monitor can only do 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768...maybe one or two other weird things the NVIDIA control panel lists as extensions.

Quote:
Imo, that option isn't that important. Although, I think game text looks better with GPU-accelerated scaling off. I'd rather have the characters and background look nicer, so I always keep it on. Plus there's no way I'd want even slower speeds.
It depends! =D

I still prefer the second one, since the pixilation with 3-D objects (like Mario's fat ass) is anti-aliased by both the native N64 VI filters and the composite TV type being emulated. My eyesight sucks major ass anyway (I'm like extremely nearsighted.), so that adds to the blur and YAY I can play all my n64 games at full screen with no pixilation cause of all the blur!

Then again, the first one (VI filters disabled) has its advantages as well, like with bitmap font text that's almost purposely meant to look pixilated. I changed the "GPU-accelerated scaling" option to only use bilinear filtering if VI filters are being emulated. If they're not being emulated then it'll do NN pixelated instead...bilinear filtering is no good without VI filters.

And then there's option #3: VI filters emulated, but still no bilinear (which requires turning off gpu-accl for slower speed)

it's kinda meh...the font aliasing looks half-and-half, with an attractive overall picture in a limited sense.
Old 20th July 2014, 08:26 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Lol what was he talking about then? I assumed he was talking about the computer's screen resolution. I even did user defined resolution too. I guess I'll have to wait for him to reply ;/
http://imgur.com/4GWgwOe,5Hwk8eG#0

The first image is what I get when using HatCat's plugin with GPU-accelerated scaling off. The second image is what I get when using the plugin with GPU accelerated scaling ON. The second image is the correct behavior.

The bug only happens when using non 4:3 resolutions.

Lol, rev4 was even worse

I tested with Mupen64 too, no difference.
Old 20th July 2014, 08:41 PM

http://i.imgur.com/fBtJQvl.png

I'll take option 4.
Old 20th July 2014, 08:50 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddMLan View Post

The first image is what I get when using HatCat's plugin with GPU-accelerated scaling off. The second image is what I get when using the plugin with GPU accelerated scaling ON. The second image is the correct behavior.

Lol, rev4 was even worse

I don't seem to have that issue, so it must be a hardware specific problem.
Old 20th July 2014, 09:06 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

That alternating scanlines version looks weird. This time I can see that the gaps in-between the scanlines aren't black necessarily...they're fused with neighboring pixels. To me, compared to options 1 and 2, it looks kinda ugly.

Well anyway, I would implement scanlines feature if it was some internal thing OpenGL (preferrably 1.1) had an instant solution for. Shaders are by no means bad, but it happened in SDL because it was implicit to the nature of SDL's scaling. I was fine with it then, but if I have to reinvent the wheel to support it, then I'd rather not.

In either case, one purpose of "GPU-accelerated scaling" is meant to model whether the N64's VI is sending a 640x240 (in full-lines, though, sometimes 480) image to fit a TV that could be equal to or greater than 640x480. Based on whether the TV's native res is >= 640x480, it may use bilinear like angrylion's original plugin does, or pixilated NN if one condition fails. I don't know about scanlines, but that's not much more part of N64 emulation than accounting for different TV sizes is. So I'm happy the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddMLan View Post

Lol, rev4 was even worse

My nv control panel lists 2 possible alternatives not natively added:
720x576 and 720x480

I just tried them both and added them to the list, and now I'm successfully able to reproduce what you're saying.

720x576 (5:4):

720x480 (3:2):

So it looks like I am in fact able to see your problem. Again thanks for the report; now I'll try to fix this.

I find it somewhat funny how this time RPGMaster is the one who can't reproduce hardware-specific issues XD.

Last edited by HatCat; 20th July 2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 20th July 2014, 09:14 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Actually I guess I was wrong. I was able to see the problem, when i switched to 1280 x 720. My computer doesn't give me many options for resolution.

Edit: Now I'm lost. I dunno why I'm noticing it now. Maybe I just didn't pay attention to the fact that part of the screen is missing.

Last edited by RPGMaster; 20th July 2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 20th July 2014, 10:27 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

There we go it should be fixed in the next release.

720x480:

720x576:

I did what I said and just had it use glGetIntegerv for both cases instead of using the Windows driver report for the full-screen res.
Old 20th July 2014, 11:36 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Yay

Quote:
Well anyway, I would implement scanlines feature if it was some internal thing OpenGL (preferrably 1.1) had an instant solution for. Shaders are by no means bad, but it happened in SDL because it was implicit to the nature of SDL's scaling. I was fine with it then, but if I have to reinvent the wheel to support it, then I'd rather not.

I don't know about scanlines, but that's not much more part of N64 emulation than accounting for different TV sizes is. So I'm happy the way it is.
Think about it. Implementing shader support can open another door to HLE emulation. For example, what if we could reimplement N64 DAC filters (Fast-Approximate Antialasing, gamma correction, divot filtering, reverse dithering) as GPU-accelerated pixel shaders instead of the slow, CPU dependant software solution that we currently have?

Of course, if someone wants anything besides that like scanlines, bicubic filtering or CRT shaders, that's a plus

But it's your plugin bro, you don't have to learn OpenGL >2.0 just to satisfy our demands XD

BTW, I find weird how the N64 had many unique filters like the divot filtering and reverse dithering, I don't think anythink like that is currently implemented anywhere else...

Quote:
I find it somewhat funny how this time RPGMaster is the one who can't reproduce hardware-specific issues XD.
Yeah, I never got to reproduce those weird issues he is having. Simply put, Intel IGPs suck (and their OGL support even more)