Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 31st March 2015, 03:44 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
I think it would be easier to solve some of the other issues / using a workaround.

You say the emulator crashes. That shouldn't happen too often with PJ64. So something is likely wrong with your setup.
Yeah things like crashing in the main emulator is really more of a separate issue.

I don't think because Project64 keeps crashing is the reason why I should think to implement checking if screenshot filename already exists before writing. I think it would be better to look into fixing the crashing in the first place.
Old 31st March 2015, 03:56 AM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
maybe, I will try to remember to think about it before releasing.
Great, thanks!

Quote:
Since you brought it up though, what would you think about having screenshots all logged to their own subfolder?

Occasionally I find I keep having to cut and paste consecutive screenshot files to their own folder organized out of the rest of the generic screenshot folder. Like if I want to do a sprite rip from animated screen dumps.

Like instead of hitting F3 and all the BMP/DIB screenshots going directly to the screen-shot folder configured in pj64, have a subfolder for each ROM?
I know a lot of people would like that. But in my specific case, I use only one folder for all emu screenshots because that's the one I use with all my image editors, gif programs, batch renamers, etc. And from there I move all images to their respective console folders.

So in my specific case, that would actually be worse for me (that's how MAME/MESS does it too), because then I would have to be moving images from individual folders into my main folder. However, I don't mind the option as long as you allow to also leave things as they are as an alternative.

But again, that's just my case. Don't let that stop you from improving the plugin.

Quote:
I was thinking just name it after the two-character cartridge code for brevity/conciseness though I imagine you would say that would confuse some users.
Honestly I'm not a fan of abbreviations if you can include the whole name. At the very least have the folders named after the game. The screenshots, in my opinion, can keep the same name format they have right now if they are going to be placed in individual folders.
Old 3rd April 2015, 04:23 AM
Project Supporter

I know this is not related to the plugin, do you happen to know why some games get their cutscenes cut short?

For example, in Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, and Gex 3, if there's a long cutscene (the ending for example), the emulated game automatically fades the ending to the next scene before it's even over.

It feels like it's a timing issue.
Old 6th April 2015, 09:52 AM

Default Instruction, please

I love playing with my Project64 emulator and have done what I can but I've hit a wall in my abilities to fuck with computers. I'm not a dumbass, I just don't know anything about rendering or compiling or such things. I can, however, follow instructions well.
I've been playing Pokemon Snap and downloaded something that's supposed to let me play it fully, with photo-related events and everything. It's some kind of RDP plugin bundle (?) by angrylion. Anyway, the file name is mylittle-nocomment.7z and I have no idea how to use it. Can someone give me a step-by-step process of how to install the plugin? I just want to play Pokemon Snap again. Thank you so much to anyone who can help!
Old 6th April 2015, 05:20 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

It's a 7-zip-compressed archive. It can be opened with 7-Zip File Manager, and then it contains the plugin along with a readme text on how to install it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyVGM View Post
I know this is not related to the plugin, do you happen to know why some games get their cutscenes cut short?

For example, in Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, and Gex 3, if there's a long cutscene (the ending for example), the emulated game automatically fades the ending to the next scene before it's even over.

It feels like it's a timing issue.
Yeah more an issue with VI refresh rate values that seemed to affect things like that.
With Kazooie I know it's a lot worse on 1.6 with audio plugins other than No Sound or the Nemu64 audio plugin; frames get pretty jerky.
Old 6th April 2015, 05:39 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Right, then. I'd finished rewriting the DP TEXRECT[FLIP] command shuffling, which in the process dealt with that surviving regression I half-deliberately introduced 3 releases ago.

The edge-walker unit is truly a monstrous jungle of bit-wise tricks and traps. I had to spend quite a lot of time seeing the rewrite through.

New screenshots showing the repair:

But yeah maybe most of this post was to show off my new utility, not the fix. :P
Old 6th April 2015, 08:10 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Just trying to remember the things left to do before the releasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyVGM View Post
Having to move hundreds of images to another directory and then having to rename the new set of hundred of images to match the old one, is well, really cumbersome.

But if you don't feel comfortable adding the lines of code to prevent that issue, then that's ok.
1. Check if screen-shot file name exists before writing the file to avoid overwrites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
That leaves only a few things left to do before releasing.
  • give RDRAM dump files more convenient file names
  • fix a regression with the top-most scan-line when blitting in interlaced 480i mode
  • restore old RDP TEXRECTFLIP command behavior for GoldenEye
  • try to do that thing ReyVGM said, where if VI filters are bypassed or disabled, do not scale the image up to 640x480 so that it doesn't look so crooked while playing GoldenEye in a 440x330 window
  • ??? might remember later ???
2. Adjust interlaced blitting to conform to lack of emulator timing.
3. If using "user-defined" or "DP frame buffer" screen resolution formulas, force user-defined or auto-detected frame buffer height to show extra pixel rows omitted by the DAC.
4. Possibly if analog conversion filters are bypassed in the configuration, use OpenGL instead of the VI to scale frames less than 640x480 to fit the window for a neater pixel resize.

?? That's it then? Fewer things left to do than I remember.

EDIT, 5. Include VS2005 solution in the source for when building on Windows, to avoid forcing MinGW on everyone.
Old 7th April 2015, 09:33 PM
Project Supporter

That Goldeneye image looks beautiful!

Another thing that's left, is the hack to take screens with their framebuffer resolution but also including the filters. But you said you were going to leave that for another future release, so... I guess that doesn't count.

Last edited by ReyVGM; 7th April 2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 8th April 2015, 09:59 PM
Project Supporter

I found something strange. It happens on every version of your plugin and I've seen it on several games now.

The left image is taken with F3, native. The right one is what the emulator window shows. Notice how the left image is natively encased in frames, but the right image is squished between an even bigger horizontal frame. The game is Air Boarder.

Last edited by ReyVGM; 8th April 2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 9th April 2015, 12:06 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

You can see a similar effect while playing Ms. Pac-Man: Maze Madness.

The digital color frame buffer information before being passed through VI DAC: